OLine - offseason

Spielman

12 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I don't understand why some people feel the need to move Dawkins to the right side..he's young,seems to be getting complete and has taken on some heavyweights ....I just don't see him as a liability at left.jmo

I'd actually prefer to see him at guard........but, we probably won't be able to add another tackle ....

For the life of me I cannot figure out why New England would not extend a left tackle who has been playing well and would cost them next to nothing.  If he actually does become available, I would certainly take a look, though at that size, I think I'd consider moving him to the RT spot.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, TigerJ said:

For the life of me I cannot figure out why New England would not extend a left tackle who has been playing well and would cost them next to nothing.  If he actually does become available, I would certainly take a look, though at that size, I think I'd consider moving him to the RT spot.

Because he's a free agent and will command a BIG pay raise, and, Belichik has a penchant for letting guys go in this situation.  And, he hasn't been resigned yet......looks like Brown will test the market.

On 12/5/2018 at 3:25 PM, billsfan89 said:

Bodine and Ducasse can be dumped for low amounts of dead cap hits, neither are really starting caliber players so I don't think them being under contract matters. I wouldn't mind having them compete for backup spots but if the front office thinks 2 of them should start they deserve to see the offense struggle again.

O-line players tend to play at a high level into their early 30's. The typical fall off is around 32-34 for O-line players. So I don't mind signing Pradis to a deal that is easy to get out of after one or two years. This team needs at least 2 impact starters along the O-line to make it into a top 10 unit and most of the top players on the free agent market at the O-line position will be between 29-31. 

Groy stinks (at least he does in this system) Bodine is a high end backup center and I would like to see him be off the bench. And Sirles is a bubble player who probably is best competing for a backup job. I suspect that Groy will not be resigned, I think odds are they move Bodine to the backup center/guard spot, and they have Vlad and a rookie compete for the RG Spot. 

Groy, Mills and miller are all free agents, right? 

3 hours ago, Pablocruise said:

Groy, Mills and miller are all free agents, right? 

I believe so, Miller and Groy are very expendable sadly I think Miller after a promising start to his career has been ruined by the scheme (Maybe he can turn it around on another team.) Mills I would like to possibly see back as a backup but I am not really going to hate it if they go with a younger player on the bench. 

On 12/6/2018 at 9:25 AM, TigerJ said:

Because they are cheap and they have Isaiah Wynn on IR. It's how they do things. They just don't pay very many people. 

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:47 PM, ndirish1978 said:

Do you guys see high-end OL talent in this draft?  

To be honest, I think we are at the point where we cant trust if people from draft work out or not. That being said I think this offseason we go

FA- OL, OL, WR, WR

Draft- OL, WR, DT, and in fourth round we go HB, DT

Some of the people we can trust in Fa and fill ins in Draft

On 12/5/2018 at 6:47 PM, VirginiaMike said:

Not alot of it which is why you need to draft it early.  I doubt you'll see more than 8 to 10 O-lineman taken in the first 2 rounds.

I see a few guys I like and others that represent good value later. Good OTs can be had outside rnd 1. Dawkins and Williams/Moton from my Panthers are good examples of that. There seems to be a prevailing narrative that OL options aren’t what they were but there are plenty of successes to go with the failures.

I would draft a center- one of Biadasz, Dieter, McCoy or Jenkins. At least one of them will be available in the 3rd. Little or Williams could be drafted as OTs in the 1st but with other needs I would take Daryl Williams or Jaquan James at RTin FA. If Saffold is available he would solve a position at G, but I would still want to draft another G. I would go after either Dalton Risner or Max Scharping- both highly graded Pff guys who have had college careers at OT but are projected to operate at G in the NFL. This way if an OT is injured you have T depth and Teller can come in as G depth.

In this scenario (ideally) you trade back in the first, GB would be ideal with 2 firsts. This gives you an extra 2nd rounder. You are spending a late 1st on Risner and a 3rd on a C. Or a 2nd on Scharping and a 3rd on a C solving the Oline and leaving 2 high picks. If you wanted to draft an RT instead of using FA Cajuste and Edwards would both be good 2nd Rnd picks.

You end up with:

Dawkins

Saffold

Dieter

Risner

Williams

A nice mix of experience and youth imo with this year’s affordable starters retained as depth.

Edited by Seoul_panther