Props to Beane on Star

Dadonkadonk

Overpaid for the guy but he is doing his job on most snaps.  I've railed against Beane all year and still think he has made the team far worse than last year. But Star looks like a solid under the radar player that is doing what is asked of him.  I don't see anything more than what Dareus was doing and in fact less inside pass rush.  But it is time for me to move on.  

Now don't let PED Muprhy take away any snaps from Lawson.  

• Like (+1) 1

Lotulelei is a steady veteran, that as you said, knows what his role in team is and he plays it consistently well. Sans a couple of plays the run defense has been a big factor when can shut down other offenses. The Jets are a good running team, thanks to early points and a stifling defense on early downs, they couldn't do what they do best.

Regarding Lawson, I like his energy, he's a good starter, good to great against the run, but the guy cannot beat RTs off the edge, he can bull rush and get to the QBs with stunts but he's not a pure pass rusher. I hope he can still develop this aspect of the game.

5 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Overpaid for the guy but he is doing his job on most snaps.  I've railed against Beane all year and still think he has made the team far worse than last year. But Star looks like a solid under the radar player that is doing what is asked of him.  I don't see anything more than what Dareus was doing and in fact less inside pass rush.  But it is time for me to move on.  

You have to realize what he was brought here  to do.  Nobody is asking him to get 7 sacks, nobody is asking him to live in the backfield.  He is there for those young linebackers so they can develop and he's done his job.  Fans drive me nuts when they just stare at the stats line and then complain because he doesn't show up.  Watch the game and understand what is happening.  

As for the DE position, it will always be a rotation...we knew this from day 1.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not on defense he hasn't. We are the number 1 ranked D in the NFL now and have held opponents to under 300 total yards in 5 games and under 200 yards in 2 straight games.

In a league where 300 yard passing games alone are commonplace this is pretty unbelievable, even more so because they get so little help from the offense.

I, for one, appreciate your candor and willingness to come onto this forum for a mea culpa and give Beane credit during this difficult year. So, it's a minor thread to pull at, but regarding the bold portion, to be fair - did we really expect much different? You are technically accurate in that the team is not performing as we would like, but when Richie and Wood left abruptly, did we really think the Offensive line was going to be stellar? And while Beane himself admits he made the mistake of not having a guy like Anderson once they traded AJ, to give John Wawrow credit as he asked the question on a platform few of us can do, what were they supposed to do other than that? And playing a Rookie QB, who then gets injured and they're forced into this carousel of poor QB play (until Barkley yesterday), could we have seen how bad KB has played? He was an important piece for a few key plays to getting to the playoffs last year and he had a great Pre-Season, could anyone have expected him to be as bad as he has? And Zay has really shown drastic improvement, but it takes WRs a couple years before they demonstrate their full potential AND he was playing injured all year last year - so we didn't know what we had.

To the point, it is a worse team - Offensively - but we expected this, didn't we? And in recent articles Beane has said what some of us have been saying: he had a plan and wasn't going to abandon that plan due to injuries or retirement, they're going to ride out the season with what they had and take the hit this year. 

2019 is the year we get to see Beane's shackles come off for Cap reasons and not needing to trade so much Draft capital for the QB position. Let's wait and see before we presume he's made the team worse in terms of development. Just my .02.

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

He's been great. He hasn't been asked to pass rush, they've used him as a run stuffer exclusively and he has done so at an elite level. Notice how KW has benefitted from him. Good signing.

He really has done a great job.  We've gotten the best you can really expect out of Hughes, Williams and Alexander at their ages and I have to give him some credit.  It's exciting to see those plays when he gets a double team and still gets a push.  I like watching him from snap.  Especially on run plays.  

• Like (+1) 1

Tough to fathom after 1st 6 quarters of year but Bills are now #1 ranked D.  Beane and McD have got "their" guys to play the various roles in the complex defensive scheme they run and it is working.  Kudos to you for admitting that the move for Star worked.

I hope Murphy is back after bye for his pass rush skills.  In the meantime, the silver lining is that Shaq is playing great as a starter.  Shaq's name got called more than any other DLineman yesterday.