Does josh allen arguably have the strongest arm in decades?

Lafromboise

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The highlights are too few to compare.

So.... how many highlights were you actually expecting from your rookie QB out of Wyoming behind that o-line of misfit castoffs throwing to practice squad receivers and Kelvin?

Question.  If Matt Barkley can come in on 11 days prep, start, and go 15-25, for 232 and 2TD's ....can you keep using the excuse of "no line" no WR's, no supporting cast for Allen?  At what point do you have to say, produce with what you have?  Barkley just did.

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

Question.  If Matt Barkley can come in on 11 days prep, start, and go 15-25, for 232 and 2TD's ....can you keep using the excuse of "no line" no WR's, no supporting cast for Allen?  At what point do you have to say, produce with what you have?  Barkley just did.

Answer..

Allen hasn’t played against the Jets yet...

He has started against the Chargers, Vikings, Packers,Titans and Houston winning 2 of those games..

He is also in his rookie season and not “learning from the bench”..

Edited by Aussie Joe

Aussie Joe....I'll accept that as an answer....I am not asking to make a point...just wondering at what point folks think is reasonable to see some tangible results from Allen?  Frankly, I don't expect any this year...next year is when you need to see something..and by about week 8 if the kid isn't getting it, I'd be worried.

34 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

Aussie Joe....I'll accept that as an answer....I am not asking to make a point...just wondering at what point folks think is reasonable to see some tangible results from Allen?  Frankly, I don't expect any this year...next year is when you need to see something..and by about week 8 if the kid isn't getting it, I'd be worried.

I think Allen should start the next 5 games if injury free..

I agree that there is a possibility that he struggles through these games in much the same way that he did earlier in the season, but I’m going to hope he comes back second time around and things have slowed down for him a bit  against some softer teams...

You must admit that the Schedule did him no favours earlier in the year..

On another point that may not interest you, I would let Barkley play the last game of the season with an eye to perhaps sign him as a backup QB for next year..

Edited by Aussie Joe

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think Allen should start the next 5 games if injury free..

I agree that there is a possibility that he struggles through these games in much the same way that he did earlier in the season, but I’m going to hope he comes back second time around and things have slowed down for him a bit  against some softer teams...

You must admit that the Schedule did him no favours earlier in the year..

On another point that may not interest you, I would let Barkley play the last game of the season with an eye to perhaps sign him as a backup QB for next year..

Anderson is pretty much a one year only mentor...Barkley at minimum should be allowed to compete for the 2.  I'd still bring in someone with a bit more chops than Barkley to be that mentor/keep the team in games veteran presence....I don't know if Barkley is that guy.  ...on the other hand, there really aren't any of those out there now who are going to be on the market......I kind of wonder if Bortles might be done in Jax and moving on to the "veteran backup" stage of his career next year....I suppose even if he is, he might not be ready yet to accept his fate and will want to compete for a job somewhere (like Miami or the Giants)  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, WideNine said:

So.... how many highlights were you actually expecting from your rookie QB out of Wyoming behind that o-line of misfit castoffs throwing to practice squad receivers and Kelvin?

Not many , but thats not the point.  I was just answering the question.

I’m on board with Allen.  I just think Vick, as he showed countless times in games (not throwing at a Juggs gun) had the strongest arm ever.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not many , but thats not the point.  I was just answering the question.

I’m on board with Allen.  I just think Vick, as he showed countless times in games (not throwing at a Juggs gun) had the strongest arm ever.

Fair enough - we are probably splitting hairs on this topic. The thing that stood out for me with Vick (other than the illegal dog fight affair) was how quick his release was on those long throws (often on the run) - it seemed like it was just a snap of the wrist.

I have seen Josh rifle it on a rope on some of his mid-range throws and if anything the coaches probably want him to take some of the heat off those throws and throw "catchable" balls to a spot where the receiver will be open against certain coverages vs bullets to where the receiver is at the moment. Some of that is more his maturity and growth, understanding where his open guy will be based on the coverage he is seeing, and then getting the ball there on time. The game just needs to slow down a bit for him and that will only happen with playing time.

That being said, they need to keep him upright and out of the emergency room or concussion protocol while he learns the ropes. 

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Fair enough - we are probably splitting hairs on this topic. The thing that stood out for me with Vick (other than the illegal dog fight affair) was how quick his release was on those long throws (often on the run) - it seemed like it was just a snap of the wrist.

I have seen Josh rifle it on a rope on some of his mid-range throws and if anything the coaches probably want him to take some of the heat off those throws and throw "catchable" balls to a spot where the receiver will be open against certain coverages vs bullets to where the receiver is at the moment. Some of that is more his maturity and growth, understanding where his open guy will be based on the coverage he is seeing, and then getting the ball there on time. The game just needs to slow down a bit for him and that will only happen with playing time.

That being said, they need to keep him upright and out of the emergency room or concussion protocol while he learns the ropes. 

Yeah, I started my posts about Vick by saying exactly that--him running and throwing lasers with no windup--just flicking the wrist.

Also at the Senior bowl practices (where Allene clocked a 66), he went 1-8 on passes of 15 yards or less in 7 on 7 drills.

Allen is a big strong kid.  His injury from a hit seems like a fluke--how many other QBs have ever suffered this injury from a single hit?  He'll be OK.