Is the CFP ranking process flawed?

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Interesting. I never even considered the possibility that Bama has a bigger fan base than Notre Dame. Not ever.

I see at least 10 Notre Dame shirts, hats, or jackets to every 1 that says  Alabama. I would think that this would be the case in 48 other states, even down south whereas each SEC school has its own fan base.

ND's national base is nothing compared to what it was up to the early 1990s

the 0 or 1 loss champion of the SEC has a permanent spot in the final 4 playoff structure of college football, that's not even up for discussion.

putting a second SEC team in or having to ignore the winner of the SEC title game adds a wrinkle on occasion

there better not be a serious fan of NCAA F arguing Bama doesn't deserve the top spot if it runs the table, maybe a slight argument to make if they lose to Georgia.

43 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

How about 6 with the top 2 teams that played in a conference championship game getting the byes?

Go back to two and if there is a third undefeated have a game between 2nd and 3rd to get to the final

this season you have three potential undefeated and none of the other teams deserves a playoff spot

Edited by row_33

46 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

How about 6 with the top 2 teams that played in a conference championship game getting the byes?

Maybe. I just think you will have even more arguing about who should get in with 8 teams. You start letting in 2 loss and 3 loss teams,  and it muddies it even further. I just don’t there are 8 teams who reasonably could win the title most seasons. I would maybe advocate for 6, with one of them being a non power 5. The best non power 5 gets a bid.

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Keep it at 4.

I agree and do however think that expanded playoffs in general would favor teams with:

1) The most depth.

2) The best coach.

This would (imo) give an edge to Alabama and Ohio State. Again, what bothers me the most about expansion is the additional games. In fact, I wish they would abolish conference championship games even without expansion.

Again, jmo.

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe. I just think you will have even more arguing about who should get in with 8 teams. You start letting in 2 loss and 3 loss teams,  and it muddies it even further. I just don’t there are 8 teams who reasonably could win the title most seasons. I would maybe advocate for 6, with one of them being a non power 5. The best non power 5 gets a bid.

no interest in watching #1 Bama sodomize and pillage the #8 team

#8???  a 4-loss team, are you ***** kidding me?

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree and do however think that expanded playoffs in general would favor teams with:

1) The most depth.

2) The best coach.

This would (imo) give an edge to Alabama and Ohio State. Again, what bothers me the most about expansion is the additional games. In fact, I wish they would abolish conference championship games even without expansion.

Again, jmo.

Dan Wetzel was just on the Dan Patrick show talking about this and it makes sense. The conference championship games this weekend are largely pointless. Instead of osu- northwestern we should have osu-Oklahoma. Crown the conf champion who has the best record instead. And play the game that weekend that actually will determine the playoff instead of saying osu has to beat northwestern by 59 to get in or something. 

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Dan Wetzel was just on the Dan Patrick show talking about this and it makes sense. The conference championship games this weekend are largely pointless. Instead of osu- northwestern we should have osu-Oklahoma. Crown the conf champion who has the best record instead. And play the game that weekend that actually will determine the playoff instead of saying osu has to beat northwestern by 59 to get in or something. 

metaphysically, what is the aim of avoiding pointlessness in watching kids play football?

enough already, start cultivating a real life, you don't need 15 more college playoffs games, of which most extra ones will be TOTAL BLOWOUTS

I believe it is.  I am a long time Penn State fan and I am still burning about them not making the final four a couple of years ago when the beat the Buckeyes and then got passed over by THE Ohio State.  The results on the field should determine who is in the playoffs. (I know, I may just be bitter).

It seams that the committee bends over backwards to get them into the final four.

today's announcement will be interesting.  To me, it is clear that the Sooners should be the fourth playoff team.

There is still an argument that Georgia could still be in the playoffs.  I know this won't happen, but they may be one of the best teams this year

10 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I believe it is.  I am a long time Penn State fan and I am still burning about them not making the final four a couple of years ago when the beat the Buckeyes and then got passed over by THE Ohio State.  The results on the field should determine who is in the playoffs. (I know, I may just be bitter).

It seams that the committee bends over backwards to get them into the final four.

today's announcement will be interesting.  To me, it is clear that the Sooners should be the fourth playoff team.

There is still an argument that Georgia could still be in the playoffs.  I know this won't happen, but they may be one of the best teams this year

This still? They had 2 losses! One was a blowout. Can’t get in with two losses. The same thing happened to osu last year who was a 2 loss conf champ. Head to head and conf champ tiebreakers only matter in their criteria when there is a tie. There wasn’t.

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This still? They had 2 losses! One was a blowout. Can’t get in with two losses. The same thing happened to osu last year who was a 2 loss conf champ. Head to head and conf champ tiebreakers only matter in their criteria when there is a tie. There wasn’t.

You're right, but it still hurts.  maybe I need professional help to get past this.

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Georgia > OK all day.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.