Honeymoon planning

scribo

Yeah, recommend Europe when the Euro hasn't ever been higher.  Good call.  :P

283698[/snapback]

Who says the dollar is gonna gain on the Euro? Who knows- next year a euro might cost $1.79. Perhaps the dollar is strongest in Europe over the next 5 years right now. BTW the dollar scored a 4 month high against the Euro a couple weeks ago

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm printing this whole thread -- even the "don't do it" post -- and will go over it with my fiancee.

I'm all for living the culture where ever we go, but she is kind of "girly."

Oh, aussiew, I've been to Australia three times, and I would love to go back -- love to -- but we aren't even considering Hawaii for this because we don't want to deal with such a long flight. Thanks though.

I'm getting married in October. We had planned to go to Grenada because it had everything we wanted (not touristy, lots of hiking, relaxing). However, our friend mentioned hurricane season to us. What are other options? We are both Europed out and although I LOVED Australia and Hawaii and want to go back at some point - both are too far for us. (We're only planning to take a week for our honeymoon.)

Any suggestions? Tahiti looks pretty awesome but I think that is too far as well.

I honeymooned at the Ritz in Maui in November 2003 - the same place where the NFL is having their annual meeting. What a great place. It was a little windy, but didn't stop us from doing everything we wanted.

Got a great package, almost everything was included - hotel, breakfast, lunch on the conceirge level, convertible car, side trips, massages, one AWESOME dinner at the Banyan Tree restaurant, etc. By mistake, they gave us 14 passes to their championship golf courses. We didn't have time to use each of those.

I realize that he wasn't looking for advice beyond the resorts in the Carribbean, but wanted to gloat with everyone else!

Another thought: We took a vacation to Cabo San Lucas in January. It was pretty cool. There weren't pyramids or ruins to go look at, but it was relaxing and we were able to steep ourselves in the Mexican culture a bit. Not to mention ATV riding on the beach, which was awesome. And the delicious mexican breakfasts. Mmmm.

I'm getting married in October.  We had planned to go to Grenada because it had everything we wanted (not touristy, lots of hiking, relaxing).  However, our friend mentioned hurricane season to us.  What are other options?  We are both Europed out and although I LOVED Australia and Hawaii and want to go back at some point - both are too far for us.  (We're only planning to take a week for our honeymoon.)

Any suggestions?  Tahiti looks pretty awesome but I think that is too far as well.

284286[/snapback]

I have never been , but know two couples who have been to Costa Rica and both love it. From your post, sounds like you are not worried about luxary, but want more of an adventure. Both of these couples are very outdoorsy, and I believe did a lot of hiking and rafting there.

Here is a site where they both stayed at least for part of their trip. Hotel in the trees actually sounds pretty cool to me

http://www.costaricatreehouse.com/

Who says the dollar is gonna gain on the Euro?  Who knows- next year a euro might cost $1.79.  Perhaps the dollar is strongest in Europe over the next 5 years right now.  BTW the dollar scored a 4 month high against the Euro a couple weeks ago

284220[/snapback]

When I do money transfers to Europe through Western Union for my customers, they usually send $100 US and the receiver gets $70 Euro.

Whatever you do, make sure you plan, plan, plan. Organize the whole trip before you get there. I'm talking about going out, eating, entertainment etc. etc. If you don't, you may miss out on a lot of things the place you choose to go to has to offer and you can spend a lot more than you anticipated.

We went to an all-inclusive resort on St. Kitts - think it was Royal St. Kitts (almost 16 yrs ago now).

It was nice. I remember they had this local beer - Carib - what nasty stuff - but it was free and after a while the body adjusts 0:) They also had this demon liquor made from sugar cane called CSR. The mixed drink of choice was CSR and Ting (which was like the carib sprite). After a constant intake of Carib beer over the course of days, one night I decided I was going to do the CSR and Ting route - I was completely zombified after a few of those :P

The food is good, even though it is different. I think they try to make it standard fare, but everything tastes just a little different - the beef doesn't quite taste like beef (although not quite like chicken :doh: ).

One thing that is a little hard when you go to some places like that is the abject poverty of a lot of the natives. I remember taking a ride 'into town' to catch some of the local flavor and the poverty was depressing. One day was my wife's birthday and I ordered a cake at dinner, which turned out to be a full size cake. We had a couple pieces and there was this cake there, and we weren't going to bring it back to the room - so when we were leaving we offered it to some of the staff - I've never seen people go after food the way they went after that cake - some were literally putting pieces in envelopes to stuf in their purses. Then there are local 'craftsmen' hanging around peddling their crappy trinkets made from shells etc. in order to feed their families.

Another funny thing that I remember is that there are always all kinds of activities to do - and you can get points and cash them in to get t-shirts etc. There were people who were just obsessed with doing every single thing, my wife and I were more interested in just relaxing, drinking, and spending time together. We felt so guilty that we should be taking part that we did play an obligatory game of Bingo one day. It was funny to see some people all decked out in the resort merchandise they had won by the end of the week.

I'm getting married in October.  We had planned to go to Grenada because it had everything we wanted (not touristy, lots of hiking, relaxing).  However, our friend mentioned hurricane season to us.  What are other options?  We are both Europed out and although I LOVED Australia and Hawaii and want to go back at some point - both are too far for us.  (We're only planning to take a week for our honeymoon.)

Any suggestions?  Tahiti looks pretty awesome but I think that is too far as well.

284286[/snapback]

Another option that I have done twice is go bare back sailing in the southern Carribbean, usually not in the hurricanes path. If you are an experienced sailor, great trip. I am not, but we went with other couples who knew what the hell they were doing and I just followed orders. While on these trips, met several people who were honeymooning and and had a captain as well as a cook on their own private Catamaran. Again, some of the creature comforts of a hotel are gone, but the boat can get you places on islands where there are no roads and few tourists ever see.

Here is the web page of the company we used. I am sure for two expensive as all get out, but it is a vacation like no other.

http://www.moorings.com/crewed_newhome.asp

I’m getting married in late July and am currently trying to plan the honeymoon. We are pretty sure that we want to go to a Sandals Resort in the Caribbean. Nice beaches and good food are our two main requirements.

Has anyone here been to any Sandals down there? I’ve checked out some Web sites that post reviews and such, but I wanted to ask here if anyone has any firsthand experiences — good or bad?

283646[/snapback]

i think you should think about south dakota . take a look at that topic sound good .