Bills vs. Titans All-22 Coaches Film Reviews

On 10/11/2018 at 8:55 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bills Finding Their Way With Quarterback Josh Allen

Erik Turner - Cover 1

First-year offensive coordinator Brian Daboll has already felt the growing pains that come with starting young quarterbacks. Day one starter Nathan Peterman lasted one half before the Bills’ 7th overall draft pick, Josh Allen, took the reigns. That kind of change at the premier position is not an easy undertaking.

Daboll needed to tweak the offense, an offense that he had been installing since being hired this offseason. Aside from the obvious inexperience that Peterman and Allen share, there aren’t many traits physically that the two have in common. So throughout the first quarter of the season, fans have seen the offensive staff slowly ‘learn on the fly’ how to best put their ‘green’ quarterback in the best position to win.

After doing some self-scouting, McDermott concluded that in order to turn the offense around they needed to get back to establishing the line of scrimmage.

“So we’ve got to establish the line of scrimmage on the offensive side of the ball . . . We have to win at the line of scrimmage.”

When the team took the field against the Titans, that goal was evident. But how could Daboll and the staff curate a gameplan that not only committed to playing ball on the defense’s side of the line of scrimmage but that also incorporate passing concepts that didn’t put too much on the young quarterback? Let’s take a look at some of the concepts and techniques Daboll utilized to get the ground game going, along with incorporating passing concepts that help Allen see the field better.

This is a fantastic article about some of the things Daboll did with the line that differed from previous weeks.  Highly recommend 9.9/10 would read again

Unsung is just how good the blocking by the TE and HB was.  In his first screenshot where he points out how Daboll designed the play to fake one LB out of his gap, he doesn't point out that's a 300+ lb DE with a full head of steam Croom is up against - and Croom just ERASES him.  Stops him in his track and walks him back.  It was beautiful.

Unstated but implied is, going forward, the Bills have to mix it up a bit from these formations and actually take the pass from time to time, or they'll lose effectiveness.

I think it's important to note how important McCoy's skill set is to some of these runs.  McCoy has been given holes, yes, but it's his cut-on-dime chops that make them work.  They would not work as well for Ivory.  They'd be positive yardage plays, but not the needed longer runs from McCoy.

PS to my bud @Buffalo716  Cover1 uses the A, B, C terminology to call out the gap targeted by the run :nana:.  (Still trying to learn the numerical system you spelled out tho)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a fantastic article about some of the things Daboll did with the line that differed from previous weeks.  Highly recommend 9.9/10 would read again

Unsung is just how good the blocking by the TE and HB was.  In his first screenshot where he points out how Daboll designed the play to fake one LB out of his gap, he doesn't point out that's a 300+ lb DE with a full head of steam Croom is up against - and Croom just ERASES him.  Stops him in his track and walks him back.  It was beautiful.

Unstated but implied is, going forward, the Bills have to mix it up a bit from these formations and actually take the pass from time to time, or they'll lose effectiveness.

I think it's important to note how important McCoy's skill set is to some of these runs.  McCoy has been given holes, yes, but it's his cut-on-dime chops that make them work.  They would not work as well for Ivory.  They'd be positive yardage plays, but not the needed longer runs from McCoy.

PS to my bud @Buffalo716  Cover1 uses the A, B, C terminology to call out the gap targeted by the run :nana:.  (Still trying to learn the numerical system you spelled out tho)

Well Erik can suck it!

running backs don’t hit gaps, they hit holes! And there is no C hole!

Edited by Buffalo716

On 10/8/2018 at 5:56 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

This is what I cant understand.  How in the hell are the coaches not just destroying these receivers right now.  Look at Mahomes (since that is such a popular topic on this board)...his WR's just dont ever stop running to get open.  His guys are always running and trying to come back to the ball.  

Our WR's barely put consistent effort into their routes and just aren't ever fighting to help Josh as he escapes.  They gotta come back to the ball, they gotta WANT the ball, they gotta keep moving when you know you got a QB who can escape and buy more time.

This team plays hard mostly except this WR group.  There honestly isnt a WR on this team that DESERVES to be on this roster next year, not even Zay.  Someone needs to show they want the ball, they want win in that WR room.  

The scary part is that at this point it’s their group. They gutted the previous regime and then traded up for zay (a guy this staff had experience with) traded for benjamin (another of personal interest) etc...

• Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

??????

:flirt:?

It reall

@Hapless Bills Fan

it really doenst matter too much .i guess it depends what side of the ball you grew up on

But like I said , technically d lineman and linebackers line up in gaps. So a defensive coach or player might use gaps to call out hole .. like Erik ... “ hitting the b hole”

but the gap is occupied by a defender.. why would I run right at the A gap when it’s occupied? As a RB you are  hitting the hole that was opened 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

The scary part is that at this point it’s their group. They gutted the previous regime and then traded up for zay (a guy this staff had experience with) traded for benjamin (another of personal interest) etc...

I would dispute that this is actually "their group"

This is not a finished product

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I would dispute that this is actually "their group"

This is not a finished product

They had two offseasons, traded up in the draft for one starter (who the staff had experience with) and traded for another starter. The depth includes a guy out OC coached in college... outside Holmes it’s their dudes. Zay was a 2 and 3, benjamin a 3. Coleman and kerley are their decisions.

no roster is ever a finished product even for a long term staff but at some point you have made the decisions to either get guys or let guys go that mean you have to own the results. How far do they have to go for you to put the group on them?

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

They had two offseasons, traded up in the draft for one starter (who the staff had experience with) and traded for another starter. The depth includes a guy out OC coached in college... outside Holmes it’s their dudes. Zay was a 2 and 3, benjamin a 3. Coleman and kerley are their decisions.

no roster is ever a finished product even for a long term staff but at some point you have made the decisions to either get guys or let guys go that mean you have to own the results. How far do they have to go for you to put the group on them?

Its a legit rebiuld.....and one of the years they had a ton of dead cap (are either of these things not true)

I think next year is the year they load up on offensive talent......I will readily admit I am wrong if it doesnt happen.

On 10/9/2018 at 12:46 AM, Dablitzkrieg said:

Look at ivorys block on the other side too

That caught my eye too. Ivory has been a phenomenal pickup. Huge impact in both Ws, just a perfect complement to Shady

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Its a legit rebiuld.....and one of the years they had a ton of dead cap (are either of these things not true)

I think next year is the year they load up on offensive talent......I will readily admit I am wrong if it doesnt happen.

So you would argue not that they missed on their moves but that they have prioritized the position low enough thus far to have not made actual moves?

but either way, wouldn’t either reflect on their own approach to the position?

Edited by NoSaint

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

So you would argue not that they missed on their moves but that they have prioritized the position low enough thus far to have not made actual moves?

but either way, wouldn’t either reflect on their own approach to the position?

There have been misses......I am not going to dispute that at all.  

But honestly I dont feel like they have made a concerted effort to fix the position because they are trying to get their defense in order....which it looks like they have done.....they did get their QB but more is needed

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

There have been misses......I am not going to dispute that at all.  

But honestly I dont feel like they have made a concerted effort to fix the position because they are trying to get their defense in order....which it looks like they have done.....they did get their QB but more is needed

What are your expectations for how it should be addressed next offseason? 

Im under the strong assumption that benjamin walks and I think it’s more likely than not that clay is gone. 

As a group of pass catchers do you think that we need to then add 3 starting quality players either in free agency or the top 45-ish picks in the draft? If they add only 1 top prospect or premier free agent is it not their group still because they chose to focus elsewhere?

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

What are your expectations for how it should be addressed next offseason? 

Im under the strong assumption that benjamin walks and I think it’s more likely than not that clay is gone. 

As a group of pass catchers do you think that we need to then add 3 starting quality players either in free agency or the top 45-ish picks in the draft? If they add only 1 top prospect or premier free agent is it not their group still because they chose to focus elsewhere?

I think both KV and Clay are gone

This defense is nearly complete.......I think we bring in a a few D players and OL as free agents.....and we use our draft to concentrate on offensive weapons....just based off who is actually going to be available in free agency.

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think both KV and Clay are gone

This defense is nearly complete.......I think we bring in a a few D players and OL as free agents.....and we use our draft to concentrate on offensive weapons....just based off who is actually going to be available in free agency.

Oh lord baby jesus John, so help us all if we have to see posts this time next year from you that the group isn’t theirs yet because they are too young and couldn’t add a free agent. ??

Edited by NoSaint