Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Any ideas as to who?

I know they have reached out to jaquon Carlos PG from Hofstra 

He was top 15 in assists in the nation last year while scoring 10 a game .. doesn't turn it over 

Also reached out to 6'6 guard BJ freeman from Milwaukee.... He's very very talented but has lots of suitors rn

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Any ideas as to who?

Sounds like Dakota Leffew might be the one to keep an eye on. He'll be a 5th year senior, but this past season was the first time he's played point guard as their starting PG got hurt two games into the year. It would be a high risk move. I don't really think it makes a ton of sense for him to be the target, nor do I think it makes a ton of sense for him to even want a PG role, but we'll see I guess. He showed a lot of flashes of passing ability this past season, but over his 4 year career playing in the MAAC (in the conversation for the worst conference in Division 1), he has 233 assists to 228 turnovers.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of point guards out there right now; there's a lot of scoring guards but it's pretty light on guys that will consistently create for their teammates. Carlos as mentioned above is certainly one of the few, but I'm not sure if he offers enough scoring. The one kid that seems to offer both the scoring and creating upside is Malik Mack from Harvard, who is notably friends with Donnie Freeman, but it doesn't sound super likely at the moment. He's asking for a ton of money to leave Harvard; it doesn't sound like Syracuse is willing to match his price but it sounds like maybe nobody will so he may have to decide if he just wants to take the most he can get or simply stay at Harvard (which is obviously a very good choice too lol).

I think we were really hoping Erik Reynolds from St. Joseph's would enter the portal. Similar to Leffew, he's not really a point guard but has shown flashes of passing ability. But what he does have is some of the best shooting/shot creation in the country. Unfortunately it's starting to sound like he'll just end up staying at St. Joe's.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Sounds like Dakota Leffew might be the one to keep an eye on. He'll be a 5th year senior, but this past season was the first time he's played point guard as their starting PG got hurt two games into the year. It would be a high risk move. I don't really think it makes a ton of sense for him to be the target, nor do I think it makes a ton of sense for him to even want a PG role, but we'll see I guess. He showed a lot of flashes of passing ability this past season, but over his 4 year career playing in the MAAC (in the conversation for the worst conference in Division 1), he has 233 assists to 228 turnovers.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of point guards out there right now; there's a lot of scoring guards but it's pretty light on guys that will consistently create for their teammates. Carlos as mentioned above is certainly one of the few, but I'm not sure if he offers enough scoring. The one kid that seems to offer both the scoring and creating upside is Malik Mack from Harvard, who is notably friends with Donnie Freeman, but it doesn't sound super likely at the moment. He's asking for a ton of money to leave Harvard; it doesn't sound like Syracuse is willing to match his price but it sounds like maybe nobody will so he may have to decide if he just wants to take the most he can get or simply stay at Harvard (which is obviously a very good choice too lol).

I think we were really hoping Erik Reynolds from St. Joseph's would enter the portal. Similar to Leffew, he's not really a point guard but has shown flashes of passing ability. But what he does have is some of the best shooting/shot creation in the country. Unfortunately it's starting to sound like he'll just end up staying at St. Joe's.

Maybe a dumb question, but any thoughts on whether Cuffe could handle PG duties.  Maybe in more of a platoon? 

he strikes me as having okay enough handle to do it, but I am not entirely sure. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Maybe a dumb question, but any thoughts on whether Cuffe could handle PG duties.  Maybe in more of a platoon? 

he strikes me as having okay enough handle to do it, but I am not entirely sure. 

Remember they also liked chance westry and PG I've heard

Hurt all year 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/6/2024 at 9:30 AM, DCOrange said:

Sounds like everyone's been balking at the asking price for Harvard PG Malik Mack and it's slowly becoming more realistic for us to get him. Not sure who else might be in on him beyond these three schools, but I've heard us, Georgetown, and Vanderbilt are three of the schools that have mutual interest.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Sounds like everyone's been balking at the asking price for Harvard PG Malik Mack and it's slowly becoming more realistic for us to get him. Not sure who else might be in on him beyond these three schools, but I've heard us, Georgetown, and Vanderbilt are three of the schools that have mutual interest.

Yeah, I heard Donnie Freeman is doing some major recruiting of Malik.  Would be a huge get.

Don’t know much about him, but Aden Holloway had entered the portal, and we recruited him. Anyone follow his recruitment? 

https://insidetheloudhouse.com/posts/syracuse-basketball-former-5-star-pg-recruit-aden-holloway-enters-transfer-portal-01hv1x3mvcmx

Edit: looks like Michigan might be interested in him.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/2024/4/9/24125629/michigan-wolverines-basketball-auburn-transfer-portal-aden-holloway

Edited by Miyagi-Do Karate

I kinda like it.  he's a quality coach, he takes a step up for future opportunities and oh by the way, one of his players is in the transfer portal and has SU on his short list.  This is a great move that potentially fills 2 holes, g-mac and judah mintz

On 4/10/2024 at 9:18 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

this feels wrong! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Poojer said:

I kinda like it.  he's a quality coach, he takes a step up for future opportunities and oh by the way, one of his players is in the transfer portal and has SU on his short list.  This is a great move that potentially fills 2 holes, g-mac and judah mintz

I feel like we are taking there guard now lol

Jyare Davis to Syracuse is official. Gotta think Dakota Leffew will follow soon.

In outgoing transfer news, Justin Taylor committed to James Madison and Maliq Brown is visiting (gulp) Duke.

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Jyare Davis to Syracuse is official. Gotta think Dakota Leffew will follow soon.

In outgoing transfer news, Justin Taylor committed to James Madison and Maliq Brown is visiting (gulp) Duke.

Where does Davis slot? Can he play PF? 

Benny Williams to UCF