Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Given how many scholarships we had the year we took him, I'm totally fine with taking a flier on a late bloomer with his height and athleticism but between injuries and simply lack of development, it was probably time to move on. I wonder if he'd consider following Gerry to Siena or if he'd prefer to try to catch on at a bigger program again.

Really curious to see what they end up doing with that assistant vacancy. I haven't really heard anything concrete but seems like the prevailing theory at the moment is that they'll look to bring in someone outside the Syracuse family. Someone else however mentioned Demetris Nichols as a possibility too. Guess we shall see.

The one thing to me that really sets Syracuse apart like North Carolina and such

Is how in-house they are.. I love the Syracuse family

And how coaches become players and are always a part of the family

I really hope red doesn't start bringing in non Orangemen

Even if that's a selfish thing... As to Peter Carey

I think the injuries did hurt him like you said but he definitely has some talent.. I think sienna would be perfect for him

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The one thing to me that really sets Syracuse apart like North Carolina and such

Is how in-house they are.. I love the Syracuse family

And how coaches become players and are always a part of the family

I really hope red doesn't start bringing in non Orangemen

Even if that's a selfish thing... As to Peter Carey

I think the injuries did hurt him like you said but he definitely has some talent.. I think sienna would be perfect for him

14 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Given how many scholarships we had the year we took him, I'm totally fine with taking a flier on a late bloomer with his height and athleticism but between injuries and simply lack of development, it was probably time to move on. I wonder if he'd consider following Gerry to Siena or if he'd prefer to try to catch on at a bigger program again.

Really curious to see what they end up doing with that assistant vacancy. I haven't really heard anything concrete but seems like the prevailing theory at the moment is that they'll look to bring in someone outside the Syracuse family. Someone else however mentioned Demetris Nichols as a possibility too. Guess we shall see.

Justin Taylor would be a great fit at Sienna too! He is more of a MAAC-type player.

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Justin Taylor would be a great fit at Sienna too! He is more of a MAAC-type player.

I think his development has just been hindered

He had like 10 high major scholarships including North Carolina and Florida and Virginia and Indiana and NC st

I certainly don't think he's a maac level guy which are like two star players

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think his development has just been hindered

He had like 10 high major scholarships including North Carolina and Florida and Virginia and Indiana and NC st

I certainly don't think he's a maac level guy which are like two star players

Maybe he can be more of a catch and shoot guy at that high of a D-1 level? But, otherwise, he doesn’t strike me as a guy with enough athleticism to create his own shot, or do anything on either side of the floor that makes me think he can be a contributor on a team like UNC or Virginia, etc.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Maybe he can be more of a catch and shoot guy at that high of a D-1 level? But, otherwise, he doesn’t strike me as a guy with enough athleticism to create his own shot, or do anything on either side of the floor that makes me think he can be a contributor on a team like UNC or Virginia, etc.

I think he could play in the A10 or conference USA all squarely ahead of maac

It's tough for a udnerclassmens offensive game to develop sometimes when they aren't always part of the script... Judah was day 1 pg with basically unlimited trust.. trust builds confidence

Chris Bell has the green light and is an NBA caliber shooter.. so that's another person getting looks

Then JJ is a former five-star guy who is going to get plays drawn up before him

Then quadir off the bench had the ball and his number 

Practice only helps so much.. you need the reps in game to gain confidence and your form back sometimes

But the touches aren't there...

I think he would look better at a mid major... But higher than maac... That's honestly full of unranked recruits.. 2* guys ... Some 3*

He was a high major 4*.. he's going to land at a better conference 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think he will definitely end up at a better program than Siena. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Maliq Brown in the portal :( Guess my source was right…just took awhile. 

So probably the two most exciting guys from our team last year are gone. Just brutal. Wonder what his transfer options look like. I suspect he has many options.

48 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

So probably the two most exciting guys from our team last year are gone. Just brutal. Wonder what his transfer options look like. I suspect he has many options.

Think it’s a pretty safe bet he’ll have plenty of suitors. Sounds like we’re targeting Eddie Lampkin from Colorado. 

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Think it’s a pretty safe bet he’ll have plenty of suitors. Sounds like we’re targeting Eddie Lampkin from Colorado. 

Welp... At least the highest rate ranked recruit in like 8 years is coming here in freeman 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I have to think Brown might be looking at UVA. He was recruited a little there, but now that he has blossomed, seems like he would be a great fit. 

17 hours ago, DCOrange said:

And just like that, Eddie Lampkin is reportedly visiting today.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

this dude is a baller.

I assume at this point that JJ and Bell stick around to start on the wings so we end up with a lineup of:

PG: ???, maybe Erik Reynolds but not sure

SG: JJ Starling

SF: Chris Bell

PF: Donnie Freeman

C : Eddie Lampkin

I fear the paint defense will be atrocious again as JJ and Bell haven't really shown the effort to defend on the perimeter and Lampkin almost literally cannot jump. Gotta hope Red gets those guys to buy in on defense to minimize Lampkin's flaws defensively.

Offensively, we could be good. A little nervous about the ball-handling/shot creation but if Reynolds ends up being the guy, he gives us a lethal shooter on the move. Bell is a great stand still shooter. JJ isn't particularly great at anything but shot it pretty well the second half of the year and has shown some flashes of creating off the dribble. Lampkin is a guy you can run the offense through in spurts; his size is tough to deal with even if he isn't super skilled and he's a creative passer (albeit very careless with the ball like Copeland was).

Not entirely sure what to make of Donnie offensively yet. He didn't shoot the ball well in high school, but he's supposedly been shooting it very well at the McDonald's practices/scrimmages. He's a good athlete and is fairly comfortable with the ball in his hands, though I wouldn't really expect him to break people down off the dribble.

At any rate, if Lampkin ends up being the guy, then it definitely feels like we're hoping to score enough points to make up for our defense. Lampkin does not have the skillset I would personally prioritize in a center, particularly with the likely roster we'll have next season. But I don't know what other options are really feasible for us so maybe this is the best we can do. I'd prefer someone that can protect the rim and elevate around the rim offensively but the fact that we can just post Lampkin up would probably provide some value.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I assume at this point that JJ and Bell stick around to start on the wings so we end up with a lineup of:

PG: ???, maybe Erik Reynolds but not sure

SG: JJ Starling

SF: Chris Bell

PF: Donnie Freeman

C : Eddie Lampkin

I fear the paint defense will be atrocious again as JJ and Bell haven't really shown the effort to defend on the perimeter and Lampkin almost literally cannot jump. Gotta hope Red gets those guys to buy in on defense to minimize Lampkin's flaws defensively.

Offensively, we could be good. A little nervous about the ball-handling/shot creation but if Reynolds ends up being the guy, he gives us a lethal shooter on the move. Bell is a great stand still shooter. JJ isn't particularly great at anything but shot it pretty well the second half of the year and has shown some flashes of creating off the dribble. Lampkin is a guy you can run the offense through in spurts; his size is tough to deal with even if he isn't super skilled and he's a creative passer (albeit very careless with the ball like Copeland was).

Not entirely sure what to make of Donnie offensively yet. He didn't shoot the ball well in high school, but he's supposedly been shooting it very well at the McDonald's practices/scrimmages. He's a good athlete and is fairly comfortable with the ball in his hands, though I wouldn't really expect him to break people down off the dribble.

At any rate, if Lampkin ends up being the guy, then it definitely feels like we're hoping to score enough points to make up for our defense. Lampkin does not have the skillset I would personally prioritize in a center, particularly with the likely roster we'll have next season. But I don't know what other options are really feasible for us so maybe this is the best we can do. I'd prefer someone that can protect the rim and elevate around the rim offensively but the fact that we can just post Lampkin up would probably provide some value.

i think it is more important to get a 5 with some offensive talent. I think if Lampkin can just eat space, i will take that! 

5* Donnie Freeman had the highest+ - at the McDonald's all American game 

And sharp shooting 4* commit SG Elijah moore won a national 3 point shooting contest!

2 studs incoming and Freeman said expect more!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Sounds like the staff is feeling good about our chances of getting Jyare Davis, a transfer from Delaware. 6'7" upperclassman that was their starting C this year. Probably more of a PF depth piece for us.

• Like (+1) 2