THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Preseason is Over

Shaw66

2 hours ago, Logic said:

To my eyes, the difference in Josh Allen between last week and this week was night and day. His mental processing was noticeably faster, and if he didn't see anything open, he took off and ran. His ability to be a threat running the ball, by the way, was highly underrated in the pre-draft process because everyone was so distracted by his arm and the accuracy debate. 

A lot of credit for this week's offensive success should go to Coach Daboll, too. He called a HECK of a game. There were a variety of screens, swing passes, and iso routes designed to simplify things for Allen and allow him to get the ball out quickly. My, what a difference it made!

These are good observations. Thanks. 

I didn't think it was night and day, just improvement. He was pretty good against the Chargers. 

As for Daboll, I think you're correct.  I really liked the TD to Croom, which was designed to take advantage of the fact that the Vikings would be looking for a simplified offense, with swings and screens to the wideouts.  That play looked like an easy throw into the flat for the rookie, and the defense bit hard.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

On offense, there is only one story in 2018:  Josh Allen. 

Well congratulations Shaw (and really to all Bills fans) on predicting the emergence of HOF Allen. He looked like white Cam Newton out there in the first half. What a competitor! I stand by my reservations about the accuracy and football IQ stuff, but man is he impressive when he's on.

On a somewhat unrelated note, any idea what happened to Wyo from the old BBMB? She used to post a lot back in the early to mid 00s when I was a little more active (under a different username). I'd be curious to get her take on our wonder boy given she probably saw him a bit in college too. Doesn't seem like too many of the "old guard" found their way over here though I haven't been active in years so maybe they're like me and just changed names.

Cheers! 

Edited by VW82

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

Well congratulations Shaw (and really to all Bills fans) on predicting the emergence of HOF Allen. He looked like white Cam Newton out there in the first half. What a competitor! I stand by my reservations about the accuracy and football IQ stuff, but man is he impressive when he's on.

On a somewhat unrelated note, any idea what happened to Wyo from the old BBMB? She used to post a lot back in the early to mid 00s when I was a little more active there (under a different username). I'd be curious to get her take on our wonder boy given she probably saw him a bit in college. Doesn't seem like too many of the "old guard" found their way over here though I haven't been active in years so maybe they're like me and just changed names.

Cheers! 

Others will know for sure. I think she's associated with the Bills' Mafia. Wish she'd post here. She's terrific.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Others will know for sure. I think she's associated with the Bills' Mafia. Wish she'd post here. She's terrific.

Message boards can be tough places for women. I can understand if she just got fed up with it. Too bad she was a terrific poster.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, VW82 said:

any idea what happened to Wyo from the old BBMB? She used to post a lot back in the early to mid 00s when I was a little more active (under a different username). I'd be curious to get her take on our wonder boy given she probably saw him a bit in college too. Doesn't seem like too many of the "old guard" found their way over here though I haven't been active in years so maybe they're like me and just changed names.

She quit the BBMB because of too many ... well, let's just say bad posters.

She writes for Bills Mafia now: http://billsmafia.com/author/mundy-robyngmail-com/

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Shaw read these quotes about Josh Allen's hurdle:

He has their respect.

Love Tre's quote in that article...

"That's what we need. We need a playmaker, a guy who is going to take chances and be confident in that backfield. That's what we got. That's the swag Josh. I call him big JA. Big Swaggerific man. That's contagious. That's something that's spreading throughout the whole team. It spread today"...

He is talking about the anti Tyrod here....

Love the use of the  term "swaggerific" as well...

Edited by Aussie Joe

2 hours ago, Logic said:

To my eyes, the difference in Josh Allen between last week and this week was night and day. His mental processing was noticeably faster, and if he didn't see anything open, he took off and ran. His ability to be a threat running the ball, by the way, was highly underrated in the pre-draft process because everyone was so distracted by his arm and the accuracy debate. 

A lot of credit for this week's offensive success should go to Coach Daboll, too. He called a HECK of a game. There were a variety of screens, swing passes, and iso routes designed to simplify things for Allen and allow him to get the ball out quickly. My, what a difference it made!

Reminded me of the Madden 19 rookie rating reaction video. Allen was so disappointed they gave him the same speed as Mayfield.

2 hours ago, VW82 said:

On a somewhat unrelated note, any idea what happened to Wyo from the old BBMB? She used to post a lot back in the early to mid 00s when I was a little more active (under a different username). I'd be curious to get her take on our wonder boy given she probably saw him a bit in college too. Doesn't seem like too many of the "old guard" found their way over here though I haven't been active in years so maybe they're like me and just changed names.

Cheers! 

as others have said, she writes for BillsMafia.com.  

Yes, she's from Wyoming and yes she's seen a lot of Allen in college and yes, she was hoping the Bills would get him.   All the things people like about Allen now she liked a couple years ago.  

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Love Tre's quote in that article...

"That's what we need. We need a playmaker, a guy who is going to take chances and be confident in that backfield. That's what we got. That's the swag Josh. I call him big JA. Big Swaggerific man. That's contagious. That's something that's spreading throughout the whole team. It spread today"...

He is talking about the anti Tyrod here....

Love the use of the  term "swaggerific" as well...

I agree.  I hadn't focused on the "playmaker" comment, but you're absolutely right.  The anti-Tyrod.   It actually does sound like he was thinking about Tyrod when he said this.  

What we're seeing from Allen is what a lot of people said Taylor didn't have.   It's leadership, willingness to take chances.   Taylor didn't lack courage - the guy has guts.  But he's cautious, and being cautious made him reluctant to take risks.  Allen will take risks.   Right now we're watching him the process of learning which riskds to take and which not.  

Exciting times.