Bills wanted DeMulling, but...

We wouldn't give him more than Detroit offered?  We didn't want him very badly then.

281287[/snapback]

guards are not a hot commodity. Just like the paper said, its inreasonable to have roughly 6 mill in cap tied up at the guard spot (villarial). I have no issue with not showing demulling the money.

guards are not a hot commodity. Just like the paper said, its inreasonable to have roughly 6 mill in cap tied up at the guard spot (villarial). I have no issue with not showing demulling the money.

281309[/snapback]

I wanted DeMulling to join the Bills based upon what I read about him, but like you, I'm glad they didn't throw too much money at him. That type of mindset is what got us into some serious cap trouble in the Butler era.

So, let me get this straight, if the Bills would have offered more money than Detroit, then DeMulling would have came to Buffalo? How unique in this day and age of the NFL that the most money gets the player.

Bingo!

281322[/snapback]

That upsets me a bit, because if you compare what we paid to Villarrial last year, he wouldn't get half of that this year. The big problem with Villarrial IMO is his age. We better draft a guard or two that can replace Villarrial in a couple years. He's 32, isn't he? :lol:

Basically, we overspent for Villarrial last year when there weren't many guards out there.  This made us less willing to spend this year on the bigger name guards, younger too.

281318[/snapback]

Well last year, we were pretty hard up at Guard w/ Ruben's departure. And it's not like TD paid much more than was already being spent for sub-par play. I'm all for letting rookies develop by giving them playing time, but you do it like the Patriots, one at a time. You can't have both slots with de facto rookies. Ain't got that problem this season. Hence, no payday.

For some free agents it can turn into a bidding. GMs with a propensity to enter into bidding wars sooner or later run into cap trouble. TD would never get into bidding wars while GM of the Steelers. Why would we expect anything different. He does occasionally find guys who are a real value that no one else wants.

For some free agents it can turn into a bidding.  GMs with a propensity to enter into bidding wars sooner or later run into cap trouble.  TD would never get into bidding wars while GM of the Steelers.  Why would we expect anything different.  He does occasionally find guys who are a real value that no one else wants.

281337[/snapback]

and dont forget who the dumbass running the lions is. How much did he through at hakim and bly? Millen would have outbid the Bills no matter the cost because that is who millen wanted

I wanted DeMulling to join the Bills based upon what I read about him, but like you, I'm glad they didn't throw too much money at him. That type of mindset is what got us into some serious cap trouble in the Butler era.

Yeah...I hate the mindset that took us to four Super Bowls!

I'd much rather have the master poker plater Tom Donahoe.....whose leadership has led us to no playoff appearances in four years!

DeMulling might have been worth big bucks IF JMac viewed him as a player capable of doing a better job than Teague at C and this freed the Bills up to maintain our OL budget by moving Teague to LT.

Such a maneuver may well have worked, but probably would not have as it would depend on both DeMulling being good enough to be this team's leader at C AND Teague having improved as a player over his adequate at best LT play for Denver.

Of these two, if JMac is a believer in Teague then there might have been a reasonable chance that what he has gained in OL knowledge as a C and him at about the age of peak productivity for an athlete who might have made this switch successfully.

However, JMac wouod have had to have been a big believer in DeMulling at C as there is little in his career that would indicate to me that he would have been much more than adequate at best (actually at around or a little less than) Yeague at C for the Bills.

I think he was a player worth getting at a reasonable price but not worth busting the budget for.

I wanted DeMulling to join the Bills based upon what I read about him, but like you, I'm glad they didn't throw too much money at him.  That type of mindset is what got us into some serious cap trouble in the Butler era.

Yeah...I hate the mindset  that took us to four Super Bowls!

I'd much rather have the master poker plater Tom Donahoe.....whose leadership has led us to no playoff appearances in four years!

281358[/snapback]

lol..good answer--althoooooooo was the superbowl run in the cap era?

DeMulling might have been worth big bucks IF JMac viewed him as a player capable of doing a better job than Teague at C and this freed the Bills up to maintain our OL budget by moving Teague to LT.

Such a maneuver may well have worked, but probably would not have as it would depend on both DeMulling being good enough to be this team's leader at C AND Teague having improved as a player over his adequate at best LT play for Denver.

Of these two, if JMac is a believer in Teague then there might have been a reasonable chance that what he has gained in OL knowledge as a C and him at about the age of peak productivity for an athlete who might have made this switch successfully.

However, JMac wouod have had to have been a big believer in DeMulling at C as there is little in his career that would indicate to me that he would have been much more than adequate at best (actually at around or a little less than) Yeague at C for the Bills.

I think he was a player worth getting at a reasonable price but not worth busting the budget for.

281361[/snapback]

You have to think of it in the context of the upcoming draft: this year's draft is loaded with quality interior linemen. When you draft a guy like David Baas (who can play either guard or center), you've got him locked up for 4-5 years at an unbeatable cap number. Yes, there's a certain amount of risk built-in, because unlike DeMulling you don't have 3-4 years of pro performance to evaluate him on. But, that's why you have a scouting department and quality coaches. The bottom line is that it just doesn't make sense to pay an above-average guard like DeMulling $2-$3 mil per year, or a super guard like Wahle $4-$6 mil per year, when you can get an above-average young player in this year's draft at $500-$1.25 mil per year.

281309[/snapback]

Couldn't have said it better myself. Why is it some fans drool over every schmuck who visits OBD? Why cry about a guard?

lol..good answer--althoooooooo was the superbowl run in the cap era?

281364[/snapback]

I think the cap started in the 1993 season, so for 1 season they lost some good players like Conlan, Wilford but still made it. I just don't see this offensive line getting any better. I don't want to get into cap trouble again but I don't see an improvement for a couple years threw the draft. I guess we can spin it and trust in TD but when the season starts like every year it will fade. I hope I'm wrong and most of the board is right. It's not doom & gloom just reality.

I wanted DeMulling to join the Bills based upon what I read about him, but like you, I'm glad they didn't throw too much money at him.  That type of mindset is what got us into some serious cap trouble in the Butler era.

Yeah...I hate the mindset  that took us to four Super Bowls!

281358[/snapback]

That's not exactly fair to TD.

Yeah...I hate the mindset that took us to four Super Bowls!

281358[/snapback]

Every hear of Bill Polian? :lol: