The Buffalo Bills entertained free-agent guard Bennie Anderson of the Baltimore Ravens on Friday.

Size is Anderson's strength. He is massive at 6-foot-5 and 345 pounds.

Anderson, 28, started four straight years for the Ravens at right guard. He's known as a mauler, good at run blocking. Pulling and playing an athletic style are not considered his strengths.

The Ravens decided not to pursue him this offseason. Anderson was an undrafted rookie out of Tennessee State in 2001 and played in the defunct XFL before joining the Ravens. He has started 60 games the past four seasons.

Meanwhile, the Bills made two other moves. They signed running back Joe Burns and guaranteed the return of special teams captain Coy Wire by restructuring his contract.

On the roster the past three years, Burns became a free agent March 2. He was fifth in special teams tackles last season.

Wire is the Bills' backup at strong safety and has been a special teams mainstay for three seasons. Escalators in his contract were scheduled to bring his salary up to $1.4 million, but the Bills brought that figure down in the restructuring to gain salary cap relief (how much was not available), and Wire now is under contract through 2006.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WGR550 that Buffalo also talked to free agent TE out of Arizona Freddie Jones.... I guess he said that he got the impression that Buffalo was looking for a better run blocking TE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's just say it's not the best possible time to be a running back on the move. Or at least one who is trying to move. Has there ever been a bigger glut in the running-back market? The Colts can't find takers for Edgerrin James, the guy who wears their franchise-player label. Ditto for Seattle and Shaun Alexander. Also on the trading block are Denver's Rebuen Droughns, Buffalo's Travis Henry, Cleveland's William Green and Minnesota's Michael Bennett.

And then there's the poor souls on the free-agent market. Eddie George? Please. Ron Dayne? Get serious. Anthony Thomas and Antowain Smith? Uh, we'll call you. In this climate, it's tough to be unattached. So far this month, the only running backs of note who have changed teams are ex-Jet LaMont Jordan, who signed with Oakland, and ex-Chief Derrick Blaylock, who replaced Jordan as Curtis Martin's backup in New York. Throw in the Browns signing Ravens restricted free agent Chester Taylor to a one-year offer sheet this week, and you have the extent of things.

Running backs just aren't as valuable in today's NFL. James and Alexander both could probably be had for a second-round pick, but nobody seems to want to step up and pay them the $7 million or so a year that it would require on top of the trade compensation. It's too tempting to just go out and draft another runner, who will play his first four or five years under a much more manageable rookie contract.

The trade and free-agent market is so depressed because there are really only three teams that seem hot for a front line running back at this point: Miami, Tampa Bay and Arizona. And all three own draft slots that fall in the opening eight picks. Wouldn't you know it, all three seem in line to be able to take one of the draft's three glamour backs next month: Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams of Auburn and Cedric Benson of Texas.

That's why James might find himself back in Indy for an eighth season, and Seattle might just have found a way to retain all three of its big-name free agents this season -- along with quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and offensive tackle Walter Jones, both of whom re-signed -- without really trying to do so. It's takes two sides to strike a deal.

Running backs make their living by making all the right moves. But this offseason, nobody seems to be going anywhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Vikings have agreed to send their own 7th-round pick in the 2005 Draft to the NY Jets for LB Sam Cowart, an 8th-year player who spent 1998-2001 with Buffalo before signing in New York as a free agent in 2002. "The high 7th-round pick we obtained from Oakland in the Randy Moss trade allowed us the flexibility to acquire another starting linebacker and still move up in the round," said Vikings Vice President of Football Operations Rob Brzezinski.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Potential draftees the Bills have talked to:

Walter Reyes RB

Khalif Barnes OT

David Baas (OG/C)

Maurice Clarett (RB)

Alfonzo Hodge (CB)

Stefan LeFores (QB)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 Opponents

Home: Broncos, Chiefs, Dolphins, Jets, Falcons, Panthers, Patriots, Texans

Away: Buccaneers, Chargers, Dolphins, Jets, Patriots, Saints, Raiders, Bengals

Meanwhile, the Bills made two other moves. They signed running back Joe Burns and guaranteed the return of special teams captain Coy Wire by restructuring his contract.

On the roster the past three years, Burns became a free agent March 2. He was fifth in special teams tackles last season.

Wire is the Bills' backup at strong safety and has been a special teams mainstay for three seasons. Escalators in his contract were scheduled to bring his salary up to $1.4 million, but the Bills brought that figure down in the restructuring to gain salary cap relief (how much was not available), and Wire now is under contract through 2006.

So, looks like the Wire experiment continues... And Burns is perhaps back for another year as backup - I was a bit surprised he was a FA at all as he was decent when on the field.

Wire and Burns are back strictly for their ST's abilities and remotely for their backup abilities.  Frankly I'd rather the Bills signed Alex Bannister and kept him as a 6th WR than Burns.

280598[/snapback]

3rd,4th,5th,6th WR's - Why ?

Keep the fullback in the lineup and just concentrate on the running game. Smart idea with a rookie QB. I don't want other WR's catching the ball outside of Evans and Moulds.

The Burns and Wire signings were for special teams only. Burns and Wire are in the top 5 in tackles on ST.

I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted LaFors. He might be available in RD#5 and certainly at RD#4.

I, for one, would fall out of MY chair if we drafted Clarett.

Here's what my value board says about the ones the Bills have supposedly talked to:

Walter Reyes RB -- 3rd Round

Khalif Barnes OT -- Fugggettabowtit

David Baas (OG/C) -- 2nd Round

Maurice Clarett (RB) -- Fugggettabowtit

Alfonzo Hodge (CB) -- Round 4 or 5

Stefan LeFores (QB)-- Round 4

heya...coy wire will be back!

now that our special teams are actually playing well, i would have hated to see this guy cut loose. i know the comarisons to tasker are a little cliched at this point, but i remember #89 took a few years to come into his own also. and he wasn't a competent position player until he was already a special team star. i predict many more good things from this kid.

too bad he can't play guard. :w00t:

heya...coy wire will be back!

now that our special teams are actually playing well, i would have hated to see this guy cut loose.  i know the comarisons to tasker are a little cliched at this point, but i remember #89 took a few years to come into his own also.  and he wasn't a competent position player until he was already a special team star.  i predict many more good things from this kid.

too bad he can't play guard. :w00t:

280675[/snapback]

Too bad he can't play safety either.

Too funny about the RB's!  I thought the Bills would be able to get a 2nd rounder for Travis.  Turns out the Colts and Hawks can't even get a 2nd rounder fo Edge or Alexander!  Talk about your bad markets. :w00t:

280586[/snapback]

No NO No. Travis is so much better then Alexander and James. We will get a starting LT and a 1st rounder. :w00t:

Burns is not a very good running back. The biggest thing he offered was very solid blocking from the backfield and average receiving ability. His running ability is poor at best. He should gain some muscle weight and switch to Full back. He is just not a natural running back. He has no shoulder or hip movement what so ever which hurts his ability to cut, fake or slip through holes.

Burns is not a very good running back.  The biggest thing he offered was very solid blocking from the backfield and average receiving ability.  His running ability is poor at best.  He should gain some muscle weight and switch to Full back.  He is just not a natural running back.  He has no shoulder or hip movement what so ever which hurts his ability to cut, fake or slip through holes.

280685[/snapback]

I guys this means the Bills are going to keep Travis, too ----- Burns is his fat little buddy.

Wire and Burns are back strictly for their ST's abilities and remotely for their backup abilities.  Frankly I'd rather the Bills signed Alex Bannister and kept him as a 6th WR than Burns.

280598[/snapback]

Why do we need a 6th WR? Our 3, 4 & 5 guys rarely saw action as it was. While I don't like Burns as a RB/FB I think he'd see the field more than Bannister.