Opening a authentic Buffalo restaurant in Californ

OK- The trick for the flavor is deep frying the wings in *peanut oil*

Nothing gets 'em as tasty in the world as that.

NOW- Add a "Garbage plate" to your menu...ever been to Nick Taho's in Roch?

This anti-weight loss treat will so disturb So-Cal you will have the local TV news covering you.

Now I hope you have written a biz plan...if not write one first...only 1 out of 20 restaraunts make it...you need a food court location where there is allready hungry Mall people looking for something new...Low monthly overhead is key as well

I'm thinking of doing a pesto thing here in Seattle...so good luck and go for it!

280501[/snapback]

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

280541[/snapback]

Thanks everyone for the great ideas.I don't have a location yet as my original plan was to buy the land where the restaurant would be but now my agent is looking for a lease with an option as the land values in So Ca have gone through the roof.I have thought about Burbank as I used to watch the Bills games at Bobby Mcgee's with the bills backers.I am still working on a business plan,waiting to find the location.Thanks again for all the help.Keep it coming....

Bob

Hi Everyone,

First off let's hope the Bills rock next year but I think we have about 2 years before J.P. gets eveything down and really puts everythig together.Not to worry  about free agency TD has everything under control..I have notice some Bills fans want every free agent out there..sorry but remember about the CAP.I was born in Buffalo and graduated UB in 1982 and moved to Pasadena,Ca .I am going to open a restaurant with REAL Buffalo food sahlen's hotdogs,beef on wick,webers mustard,real buffalo chicken wings(I really need help here as I am having a had time getting the sauce correct) bought some Anchor Bar sauce but No way I can buy it as it is cost prohibitive.Any input on what I should serve or suggest any idea would be appreciated.I will have direct TV so that Bills and sabers game will always be on!!!

THANKS

280436[/snapback]

Good luck. I was thinking about doing the same thing down here in SoFlo but I gotta lot of negetive feedback. Don't let that discourage you. My advice is to open up a restaurant where ever there are Bars and Nightclubs, open late and come up with a catchy name for the joint.

I like "Buffalo's Famous Wings & More"

Don't forget a Friday night fish fry w/ a side of curly Q's and loganberry to wash it down.

Man, I'm jones'n now!

280511[/snapback]

Found a place here in Atlanta (Marietta actually) that is owned by a former Buffalonian. They serve Beef on Weck, Buffalo style pizza, wings, and last night, I got an authentic Buffalo-style haddock fish fry. It was great. Unfortunately, it's only take out and delivery. There was a major accident on higway 92 and it was backed up forever while my caar started smelling like fish.

Got it home, stuck it in the oven for a few minutes, and it was fantastic.

Anyway, this place is doing great business serving Buffalo-style foods.

There's always a market for good eats.

Did you check Buffalo Recipes in Recipes listed above?

http://www.twobillsdrive.com/cookbook/view...o%20Specialties

Beef on Weck including rolls as well as Chicken Wings.  And French Onion Soup - the Turtle in Niagara Falls used to serve great French Onion Soup.

BTW there is a restaurant serving Buffalo cusine south of Long Beach and they show Bills games; you might want to check out competition. 

MEETING PLACE:  Wings 'N Things

ADDRESS:  18302 Beach Blvd, Huntington Beach, CA 92648

PHONE:  (714) 848-2767

280488[/snapback]

There was a wings and things in San Diego that was pretty good. I only bought there a few times since I cook my own wings.

Do you need the best sausage in the world? My Uncle-in-law was a butcher in South Buffalo for years and makes the best sausage ever on the planet. If Icould supply with that you would be a monster success. PM me for details.

Ted's does a fabulous business in Tempe Arizona because nobody makes real charcoal dogs and burgers anywhere and once people have them in a restaurant like that, it's hard to eat other kinds. So I would try to put a real charcoal grill like Ted's. Use large chicken wings and get good blue cheese.

Found a place here in Atlanta (Marietta actually) that is owned by a former Buffalonian. They serve Beef on Weck, Buffalo style pizza, wings, and last night, I got an authentic Buffalo-style haddock fish fry. It was great. Unfortunately, it's only take out and delivery. There was a major accident on higway 92 and it was backed up forever while my caar started smelling like fish.

Got it home, stuck it in the oven for a few minutes, and it was fantastic.

Anyway, this place is doing great business serving Buffalo-style foods.

There's always a market for good eats.

280643[/snapback]

Info Please!!! :doh:

When I make my own wings, which is often, I use straight Frank's, but I like em hot. Some people use straight franks and hot pepper flakes for EXTRA hot. The people who like em "medium" make em with half franks and half margerine (not butter, it burns). Mild? 1 part franks, and 3 parts margerine.

The point is: FRANKS. nothing else. NOTHING.

Make sure you do not charge extra for the bleu cheese and celery.

Do not bake the wings, they must be deep fried.

Any hot dogs/hamburgers/sausages served must be grilled over charcoal. If you fry them they will taste like barf to any self respecting Buffalonian.

I would also recommend that you serve the Chicken Finger sub, which is something that I have not seen outside of WNY.

Yeah wing sauce, just do franks with a lot of butter in it - it'll be really good. Anchor bar wings are overrated anyways. Anyone have any idea how duffs makes their sauce?

Blue cheese/celery is important. No carrots, and the celery should be as big as possible.

Is it possible for you to serve loganberry as a beverage? Loganberry is a buffalo favorite, and it goes a lot better with hotttt wings since there is no fizz. Plus loganberry is soooo good.

As a Buffalo-to-CA transplant myself, and as someone with experience helping people conceptualize and launch small businesses, my two cents would be to broaden your potential market beyond those interested in Buffalo food. Maybe a broader Great Lakes focus?... with "local" specialties from not only Buffalo, but also Chicago, Cleveland, Michigan, etc.? You could organize the menu as such, and target your marketing infiltrate other "transplant" groups such discussion boards for the Bears/Bulls/WhiteSox/Cubs, Browns/Cavs/Indians, etc.

As a Buffalo-to-CA transplant myself, and as someone with experience helping people conceptualize and launch small businesses, my two cents would be to broaden your potential market beyond those interested in Buffalo food.  Maybe a broader Great Lakes focus?... with "local" specialties from not only Buffalo, but also Chicago, Cleveland, Michigan, etc.?  You could organize the menu as such, and target your marketing infiltrate other "transplant" groups such discussion boards for the Bears/Bulls/WhiteSox/Cubs, Browns/Cavs/Indians, etc.

281961[/snapback]

Maybe serve a garbage plate?