Bill Barnwell: The NFL's 50 Most Intriguing People and Why Each Matters - David Culley Number 15

Barnwell: The NFL's 50 most intriguing people, and why each matters

15. David Culley, quarterbacks coach, Bills

It's possible that Culley is extremely well-qualified to coach new Bills quarterback Josh Allen, for whom the team traded draft capital in excess of the first overall pick to move up in April. Culley takes the stance that coaching is coaching regardless of position, and as a 62-year-old entering his 40th year on the job, you suspect he knows a thing or two.

At the same time, though, how many teams do you see handing the quarterback coaching duties to a guy whose résumé at that specific job has a 30-year gap? The last quarterback Culley directly tutored before taking over as Bills quarterbacks coach in 2017 was future NFL running back Brian Mitchell at Southwestern Louisiana in the mid-1980s. Culley worked mostly as a receivers coach over the ensuing decades, but the early returns from 2017 weren't very exciting. Tyrod Taylor had his worst season as a Bills starter, and Nathan Peterman ... well, you know what happened. Culley deserves his chance to mold Allen, but if things go poorly, who do you think is going to take the blame?

surprised to even see Culley appear on this list, yet alone any list lol. I wish we had a more experienced QB's coach. His track record in this regard hasn't been that great, & thats an understatement lol. Is Culley here because McD thinks he is the right man for the job? Or is he here because he's all we got? Here's to hoping he can coach.

I am not a Barnwell fan for many reasons but he has a very good point on Culley.  I questioned whether he was the best choice as QB coach as well.  It certainly seems his resume is limited when it comes to QBs 

Edited by BuffaloRush

From what we've seen of Allen so far, with consideration to the concerns people had with Allen coming out of college, does it look at all like he has been poorly coached?

I know for damn sure he has been poorly protected, but his footwork, going through his options, and his decisions generally have been good.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

To my eye, Daboll is the QB coach - he and Allen are joined at the hip. I'm guessing he's just there to reinforce whatever Daboll is telling Allen to do.

Right...I also saw Daboll sitting next to Peterman on the Embedded show.  With his time being so attached to QB’s it really makes you wonder what Cullen is doing as QB coach.

Modern QB development is a team effort, with the Head Coach, OC, and QB coach working together.

Garrett/Linehan/Wilson did it in Dallas with Dak.

Pederson/Reich/DeFilippo did it in Philly with Wentz.

This has been a concern ever since we brought in yet another Defensive-based HC, and a WR coach as a wannabe QB coach.

The silver linings:

Daboll seems to have recent success with QB development, albeit at the college level, it was still National Championship level.

McD held the title of Asst Head Coach when the Eagles (Reid/Childress) developed a raw McNabb, so maybe he knows more about it than I give him credit for.

We'll see.

I honestly could care less who our Quarterbacks coach is.  You hear every year how a team brought in a storied Quarterbacks coach to work on so and so's footwork and its made a world of difference, and then so and so goes back out and does what he did the year before.  Why, because so and so wasn't good and a coach wasnt going to change that enough to turn him into Tom Brady all of the sudden.

Five teams have rookie quarterbacks picked in the 1st round of this years draft.   If you look at who those teams employ as their quarterback's coach, you'll see coaches with anywhere from 1 year experience as a QB's coach (Arizona) to guys who have 12 years experience as a QB's coach (Cleveland). 

Outside of Culley, those other guys have coached 24 players who have started games in the league.   7 of those 24 have been successful, around 30%.  Which is the exact success rate you'd expect when drafting a Quarterback from college.   Long story short, these players come into the league with the talent to be good or to fail, 70% of the time they fail regardless of coaching.