Vintage Buffalo Concert Posters

15 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Eff the posters.  How many of you bought one of these classy babies? Mine hung in my closet for a few years.  I never wore it and I have no idea what I paid for it. 

graphic_5095.jpg

That was my first concert!  After that I was all in on rock and roll! 

1 minute ago, bbb said:

That was my first concert!  After that I was all in on rock and roll! 

Yes was my favorite band at the time.  I felt that Seger stole the show especially when Alto Reed (his sax player) was on top of the speaker stack.  I remember how pissed Chris Squire was when a frisbee (or beer bottle) hit his bass!  For those that were there that day just over 41 years ago here is a great site.

http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/dates.asp?ftype=1&qdec=1970&qdateid=1277

BTW how many of these vintage concerts were promoted by our "friend" Harvey Weinstein of Harvey and Corkey?

27 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Eff the posters.  How many of you bought one of these classy babies? Mine hung in my closet for a few years.  I never wore it and I have no idea what I paid for it. 

graphic_5095.jpg

Back when YES was one band. Lol. That's beautiful. I never realized till I moved away that Bob Seger is only considered "legendary" for lack of a better term in the Northeast, and particularly the Great Lakes region. Down here, he's played, people are fans, but back home, he's much bigger. 

On 8/24/2018 at 3:32 PM, Chef Jim said:

Yes was my favorite band at the time.  I felt that Seger stole the show especially when Alto Reed (his sax player) was on top of the speaker stack.  I remember how pissed Chris Squire was when a frisbee (or beer bottle) hit his bass!  For those that were there that day just over 41 years ago here is a great site.

BTW how many of these vintage concerts were promoted by our "friend" Harvey Weinstein of Harvey and Corkey?

Well, I was 15 and new to rock music - had just been buying albums for a year or two - but my favorite album I had was Live Bullet.  I figured I'm the only one who knows these songs.......................And, then when everybody knew them and loved them - it was the first time I had that communal feeling that concerts bring...............I have to admit that I drank so much that by the time Yes was on I was puking my guts out! 

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, Chef Jim said:

Harvey and Corkey... oh my God I haven't heard those names in at least 35 years.  Made me also think of Melody Fair in N Tonawanda!

1 hour ago, Bullpen said:

Harvey and Corkey... oh my God I haven't heard those names in at least 35 years.  Made me also think of Melody Fair in N Tonawanda!

I remember listening to radio commercials as much as anything referencing "harvey and corkey" at the end.

Somewhere along the way, it became "Harvey, Corkey, and Teiss"   Remember that?

Not sure how to spell "TEISS" but that's the name I remember anyway.

I have a good friend who attended 2 of those Buffalo Led Zeppelin concerts.  He said they played their balls off for like 3 hours and has great memories of the shows.  He also deliberately skipped his senior prom to see Pink Floyd at the Aud, doing their "Dark Side of the Moon" tour.  

:thumbsup:

On 8/23/2018 at 3:31 PM, Fadingpain said:

There is actually an entry at Wikipedia for all Led Zeppelin concert dates.

I went through all North American tours looking for Buffalo.

I don't know how complete or accurate it is, but apparently Zeppelin came to Buffalo three times.

10/30/1969  KLEINHANS MUSIC HALL ( Can't imagine seeing Zeppelin in there in '69 when their playing was great and Jimmy Page was still super sharp; that's way pre heroin addiction)

6-10-1972  The Aud

7-15-1973 The Aud

That's it!  

I need to find that Kleinhans concert poster, if one existed.  That would be cool.

72_tkt_buffalo.jpg

No poster exists. But there was a limited flyer. It contains stock 68 Zep photo. Ditto the WHO

The flyer  is split with some band called the WHO performing Tommy 2 weeks later (maybe earlier).

Cool piece mega rare. Yellow paper block printing. The ticket price was a jaw dropping $4--$5--$6.

35 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I remember listening to radio commercials as much as anything referencing "harvey and corkey" at the end.

Somewhere along the way, it became "Harvey, Corkey, and Teiss"   Remember that?

I have a good friend who attended 2 of those Buffalo Led Zeppelin concerts.  He said they played their balls off for like 3 hours and has great memories of the shows.  He also deliberately skipped his senior prom to see Pink Floyd at the Aud, doing their "Dark Side of the Moon" tour.  

:thumbsup:

I wonder whatever happened to Harvey.  That guy just seemed to fall off the face of the earth.  I hope he's had a good life. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Tice.  Eddie Tice joined Harvey and Corkey in the late 70s as a VP.  Google 'Harvey, Corkey, and Tice'.  You're correct regarding the radio ads, suddenly we were all saying "who's Tice?"

On 8/24/2018 at 3:10 PM, Chef Jim said:

graphic_5095.jpg

Back when J. Geils was a kickass band, not the top 40 dreck of later years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Interesting fact about Robert Plant‘s first solo performance post Led Zeppelin in Buffalo… Well at least interesting to me.

In 1983 he came to Buffalo on September 16 where tickets were an outrageous $16 a pop. No opening band and the ticket stub said “An evening with Robert Plant“. 

After a great show where he only played his solo stuff and refusd to play any Led Zeppelin… He did his encore thing and left the stage. The lights went on as a signal for everyone to get the hell out and go home. No one left. We all stood and cheered and I honestly don’t know how long how much time had passed, but they actually turned the lights back off and he came back out on stage for another encore (Little Sister).

I had never seen that before in my life. No one EVER comes back once the lights go on. It was a very special moment  recognizing his return to the stage after the break up of Led Zeppelin. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/23/2018 at 2:34 PM, Chef Jim said:

Robert Plant's son died. 

It's amazing the trivial BS you can remember 40 years ago but not what you had for lunch 10 minutes ago.  

Little bit off topic... Thought some might appreciate it?  But a few weeks ago, I caught "All of My Love" on the radio... And never knew what:

"Proud Arianne one word, my will to sustain"

Meant when Plant was singing it.  I looked it up and stumbled upon this great analysis (Yahoo Answers) it was in reply to some nut job thinking Plant was a Neo-Nazi singing about "proud Aryan"... LMAO 

Hello everyone! 

I was just listening to that album and I am pretty sure that I understand the reference. First you need to understand that the song really is about Plant coming to terms with his child's untimely death. The idea is that divine beings weave the reality of human life like a tapestry of threads, and that even when a thread seems to go nowhere they may yet be a deeper meaning to the story of human life, and if you knew how that thread weaves in and out with zillions of other threads you could see how any life, even one made cruelly short by fate, is still significant and present because it is part of the tapestry and has some meaning in it. 

Arianne is a version of the name Ariadne, who saves Theseus by giving him a ball of thread so he could go into the labyrinth, slay the Minotaur and find his way back out. Arianne's thread leads through the maze and out f it. Plant sees himself lost in the maze (or tapestry) because he can't see where the thread of his sons life has lead, cut off as it seems to be before its time, but if only he could have a word from the proud Arianne that his son's thread is really part of the tapestry, he would have the faith to accept that while he has no answer to his grief, that an answer is there somewhere, and that his son's life was more than a feather in the wind. Arianne's thread is also a term in logic that refers to a certain way of figuring out puzzles by thinking through every possibility. 

If you read the lyrics carefully you will see that weaving and threads are part of the imagery. 

Whoever thought that Plant was giving vent to some Aryan Neo Nazi ideology is so completely off the mark that he/she should be ashamed of themselves! Plant, as you should know, is a great student of mythology and human culture, and a far deeper lyricist than most people give him credit for. 

I hope I have set the record straight!

40 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The idea is that divine beings weave the reality of human life like a tapestry of threads, and that even when a thread seems to go nowhere they may yet be a deeper meaning to the story of human life, and if you knew how that thread weaves in and out with zillions of other threads you could see how any life, even one made cruelly short by fate, is still significant and present because it is part of the tapestry and has some meaning in it. 

Arianne is a version of the name Ariadne, who saves Theseus by giving him a ball of thread so he could go into the labyrinth, slay the Minotaur and find his way back out. Arianne's thread leads through the maze and out f it. Plant sees himself lost in the maze (or tapestry) because he can't see where the thread of his sons life has lead, cut off as it seems to be before its time, but if only he could have a word from the proud Arianne that his son's thread is really part of the tapestry, he would have the faith to accept that while he has no answer to his grief, that an answer is there somewhere, and that his son's life was more than a feather in the wind. Arianne's thread is also a term in logic that refers to a certain way of figuring out puzzles by thinking through every possibility. 

How would anybody not know this.  It's plain as day. 

• Haha (+1) 1