McDermott doesn’t learn

WIDE LEFT

On 8/10/2018 at 8:47 AM, WIDE LEFT said:

It was encouraging to see at least a glimmer of hope that the Bills join the 21st century NFL with an offense that uses the PASSING game to set up the run. Maybe the two double digit losses to the Patriots last year at least gave them a hint that their ball control, run first offense doesn’t cut it in this era of NFL football. Or maybe watching Philadelphia use their 2nd string QB to completely shred Minnesota & Pats defense in consecutive weeks. Or a Super Bowl which had one punt the entire game, as two pass first offenses slugged it out.

But I do have concern that Coach McD will not follow through with this philosophy when the regular season roles around. What gives me pause is his complete disregard for analytics, leading to his complete mismanagement of strategic/game time decisions. So with about 3 minutes to go, down 11 points, 4th and three, his decision, in defiance of all analytics (and common sense) is to punt the ball ( and the game) away. And this in the PRE SEASON! Yikes. Almost as bad, TV “analyst” Tasker never even questions the move, nor did any of the media at post game press conference. Let’s hold a coach who is all about accountability; accountable himself for terrible game time decisions. This wasn’t the first time he has mangled important, game management decisions. And please don’t tell he wanted to give his second string punter some practice 

You never know, maybe he issued a late-game, situational challenge to Josh Allen and the offense:

Pick up the 3rd-and-long or punt.

It's not like Allen and the offense didn't have its try at picking up 4th-and-3 earlier in the game.

Preseason is for individual and team evaluation.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:08 PM, WIDE LEFT said:

So a critical fourth and three situation close to games end is not an ideal situation to test your #1 pick and your offense;

No it isn't. I don't think testing against a 3rd string vanilla defence in a game where the result doesn't matter is going to really tell us anything at all.

My 11 yo kid thought the same as in the original post... I didn't. Sure in a regular season game I'd be foaming at the mouth. Hell, even if they did win the Snow Game last year, that late punt in OT when a victory was needed still has a bad taste in my mouth. But come on, it's preseason, reducing injuries,. evaluating special teams players, and on and on, are surely the reasons. Though, it would have been nice to have a journalist ask him in the after game press conference, just to see what indeed was his thought process.

On 8/10/2018 at 8:47 AM, WIDE LEFT said:

It was encouraging to see at least a glimmer of hope that the Bills join the 21st century NFL with an offense that uses the PASSING game to set up the run. Maybe the two double digit losses to the Patriots last year at least gave them a hint that their ball control, run first offense doesn’t cut it in this era of NFL football. Or maybe watching Philadelphia use their 2nd string QB to completely shred Minnesota & Pats defense in consecutive weeks. Or a Super Bowl which had one punt the entire game, as two pass first offenses slugged it out.

But I do have concern that Coach McD will not follow through with this philosophy when the regular season roles around. What gives me pause is his complete disregard for analytics, leading to his complete mismanagement of strategic/game time decisions. So with about 3 minutes to go, down 11 points, 4th and three, his decision, in defiance of all analytics (and common sense) is to punt the ball ( and the game) away. And this in the PRE SEASON! Yikes. Almost as bad, TV “analyst” Tasker never even questions the move, nor did any of the media at post game press conference. Let’s hold a coach who is all about accountability; accountable himself for terrible game time decisions. This wasn’t the first time he has mangled important, game management decisions. And please don’t tell he wanted to give his second string punter some practice 

Now I feel a lot better after reading this. ???

McDermott spoke about his offensive philosophy when he got hired. He said that the Bills have to be physical and run the football because it’s snowy and cold in Buffalo. Always managing field position and down and distance. 

I think in Year One that held true. One of the more interesting story lines with this team and Allen is why do we need a rocket arm QB if we aren’t going to aggressively throw down field? Will the offensive staff tailor a modern passing game, or does McDermott truly believe in a Jaguars model from 2017, riding defense and running? How much creativity does he have? 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

My thoughts where that our oline will be weaker this year so it appears we may be implementing short quick passes to compensate. Last year we simply didn't have the QB with the skill set to achieve this. Petermans skill set is exactly that which may be why the coaching staff is high on him.