13 UNC Football Players suspended for.....

JoeF

Bunch of freaking morons.  I think UB is going to be better than UNC this year.

And FYI, before people start beating the "UNC are cheaters" drum again, this was 13 students selling shoes on their own, UNC found out about it "about four hours after it happened," and completed their investigation and turned everything in to the NCAA in February.  There is no ongoing investigation, no additional penalties, nothing.  These 13 guys will serve their suspensions and it's over.  Just a dumbass decision by stupid kids.

They lose one starter (QB Surratt, who was actually competing with another guy for the job) for the first four games, and one other starter on the D line.  Everyone else is depth or ST players.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Seems a tad harsh, no?

If taken in isolation I would agree with you. But this program has had systemic problems for nearly a generation. As eball pointed out  UNC immediately took action after they found out what was going on. They deserve credit for their decisive action. This isn't a high crimes indiscretion. It is kids being kids and doing stupid things. The players are going to serve their suspensions and then the slate is clear. 

When you have an environment where small infractions are allowed to occur that leads to an environment where bigger infractions are allowed to occur. The University quickly put a stop to it not allowing a more permissive environment to get established. The real story here is how UNC responded (as eball noted). For that they deserve credit. 

22 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Well, they were starving so what else could they do?

If only they were being paid, this would never have happened.

You have to follow the rules as they exist now, but in general, I agree with you KD.  When I received an academic scholarship it came with a small monthly stipend for spending money.  These athletes are generating millions at the upper D1 level schools like Chapel Hill, I don't think it would bankrupt the school to award them $100-200 a week for living expenses.  I received $300/month in the 1980's for August to April.

6 hours ago, JoeF said:

You have to follow the rules as they exist now, but in general, I agree with you KD.  When I received an academic scholarship it came with a small monthly stipend for spending money.  These athletes are generating millions at the upper D1 level schools like Chapel Hill, I don't think it would bankrupt the school to award them $100-200 a week for living expenses.  I received $300/month in the 1980's for August to April.

Actually I was being sarcastic....but I'm fine with providing all student athletes with a small stipend like you describe, but that's not going to stop guys from selling their Air Jordans.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Actually I was being sarcastic....but I'm fine with providing all student athletes with a small stipend like you describe, but that's not going to stop guys from selling their Air Jordans.

Believe it....and it won't stop "boosters" from payola...

21 hours ago, JohnC said:

If taken in isolation I would agree with you. But this program has had systemic problems for nearly a generation. As eball pointed out  UNC immediately took action after they found out what was going on. They deserve credit for their decisive action. This isn't a high crimes indiscretion. It is kids being kids and doing stupid things. The players are going to serve their suspensions and then the slate is clear. 

When you have an environment where small infractions are allowed to occur that leads to an environment where bigger infractions are allowed to occur. The University quickly put a stop to it not allowing a more permissive environment to get established. The real story here is how UNC responded (as eball noted). For that they deserve credit. 

The rules should be relaxed. If this happened at Alabama I would be furious.  And, the penalty was too harsh. I don't recall......what happened to Winston when he was caught stealing? Isn't that much worse than selling your own sneakers?

57 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

The rules should be relaxed. If this happened at Alabama I would be furious.  And, the penalty was too harsh. I don't recall......what happened to Winston when he was caught stealing? Isn't that much worse than selling your own sneakers?

I wouldn't be against relaxing the rules. But that's not the case right now. If you want to change the rules then change the rules. The players are told what they can and can't do when they enter the program.  The Carolina program was established as a program so loose that it was a renegade program where rules were meant to be skirted. As I said in a prior post the lesson to be taken from their situation is that North Carolina did the right thing. 

As far as you citing Winston getting away with stealing my response is simple: They (Florida State and Winston) are the model what not to do. Winston is still crossing boundaries that he doesn't believe apply to him. No one should be surprised that this entitled character (fool)  in college still believes he is entitled in the pros. Why do you think he is serving a suspension? Because he is the model citizen? 

With respect to Alabama if Saban found out that he had players selling sneakers against the rules there would be no need for the NCAA to intervene because he would quickly and decisively handle the situation. As you well know Saban is not known to be a gentle leader when it comes to enforcing discipline. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/10/2018 at 9:43 AM, KD in CA said:

Well, they were starving so what else could they do?

If only they were being paid, this would never have happened.

Yeah, because who should expect to be allowed to sell a personal belonging.

I know that it's against one of the NCAA rules. I know a coach has been fired for not being forthright about this in the past. My opinion is that this is one of the dumber rules that a dumb organization has in place.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

I wouldn't be against relaxing the rules. But that's not the case right now. If you want to change the rules then change the rules. The players are told what they can and can't do when they enter the program.  The Carolina program was established as a program so loose that it was a renegade program where rules were meant to be skirted. As I said in a prior post the lesson to be taken from their situation is that North Carolina did the right thing. 

As far as you citing Winston getting away with stealing my response is simple: They (Florida State and Winston) are the model what not to do. Winston is still crossing boundaries that he doesn't believe apply to him. No one should be surprised that this entitled character (fool)  in college still believes he is entitled in the pros. Why do you think he is serving a suspension? Because he is the model citizen? 

With respect to Alabama if Saban found out that he had players selling sneakers against the rules there would be no need for the NCAA to intervene because he would quickly and decisively handle the situation. As you well know Saban is not known to be a gentle leader when it comes to enforcing discipline. 

Wonderful post as usual.

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Wonderful post as usual.

Let me say this about Saban and the Alabama program. It is rare that a program that has been at the top or near the top for an extended period of time doesn't have some shadow of improprieties from within the program or from the alumni. I'm not naive and believe that most big programs are pure. But Alabama under Saban has run a clean program. He runs a tight/right ship on the recruiting trail and within the program. Saban can be dour and arrogant and sometimes (to me) be insufferable. But to his credit there is a level of rectitude that he exhibits and is reflected within his program. I don't like him (nor dislike him) but I admire him and what he has accomplished. Getting to the top is challenging but staying on top for an extended period of time is even more challenging. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

Let me say this about Saban and the Alabama program. It is rare that a program that has been at the top or near the top for an extended period of time doesn't have some shadow of improprieties from within the program or from the alumni. I'm not naive and believe that most big programs are pure. But Alabama under Saban has run a clean program. He runs a tight/right ship on the recruiting trail and within the program. Saban can be dour and arrogant and sometimes (to me) be insufferable. But to his credit there is a level of rectitude that he exhibits and is reflected within his program. I don't like him (nor dislike him) but I admire him and what he has accomplished. Getting to the top is challenging but staying on top for an extended period of time is even more challenging. 

You see, Coach Saban is the best college football coach of all time. Even more remarkable imo is that he might be the best in every phase of college coaching to include:

Recruiting

Game management

Developing talent

Getting players to buy into his system

Discipline

Also, one of the most important aspects of college football is recognizing talent. It is said that you don't get beat by recruits that you failed to sign. You get beat by the ones you DO sign who don't play well for whatever reason.

Alabama always has some players who don't last. This season he has already tossed 2 LBs (a position of need) off the team. One of them was the kid who went after a coach in the playoffs. He makes mistakes like all humans but he wins and is going to keep on winning.

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

You see, Coach Saban is the best college football coach of all time. Even more remarkable imo is that he might be the best in every phase of college coaching to include:

Recruiting

Game management

Developing talent

Getting players to buy into his system

Discipline

Also, one of the most important aspects of college football is recognizing talent. It is said that you don't get beat by recruits that you failed to sign. You get beat by the ones you DO sign who don't play well for whatever reason.

Alabama always has some players who don't last. This season he has already tossed 2 LBs (a position of need) off the team. One of them was the kid who went after a coach in the playoffs. He makes mistakes like all humans but he wins and is going to keep on winning.

One of my criticisms of Saban was historically he seemed to be resistant to modernizing his offense. He had an old school inclination to emphasize defense and special teams and take a more conservative approach with the offense. Until recently, he didn't seem to go out and get the big time qb that other programs coveted.  His hiring of Kiffin to run the offense was a marked change from the type of conservative OCs that he usually hired. Although Kiffin was immature and not particularly suited for that more subdued culture he represented a significant change from how Saban looked at the his offense. For all the antics that Kiffins was involved in he did offer a more modern offense to the Saban program. 

I'm aware that Saban now has a high end qb leading the offense, and more qbs in the pipeline. But that certainly is a major change from the standard Saban restrictive approach to the offense. What;s the saying?: You can teach old dogs new tricks!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.