McCaron gets first team reps 2 days in a row.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't understand this rationale.  What is he going to be able to do next season, for example, that he can't do this season?

He will learn by doing, and he will either have it or not have it.  You don't need a 5 year plan and constant tutoring to see if a QB is going to work or not work.

I don't recall lots of hesitation and reluctance to play Jim Kelly when he became a Bill.  He was leaving the Mickey Mouse USFL and in theory, there could have been question marks regarding his transition to the NFL.  No one was suggesting adjusting him slowly, etc.

Why?  Because he could play.  And everyone knew it.

I think there is a point in development beyond which you have to play on Sundays to get better, but I think for a young raw player whose college gave him far less preparation than many QBs have coming out of college, there is a fair amount of learning and development that can take place in a practice setting.  If you disagree, you're welcome to your opinion.  I'm comfortable with agreeing to disagree. 

16 hours ago, Augie said:

AJ should have at least 4 games to make some cash based on how he does. Or become hospitalized and open the door for someone else. Both are serious possibilities in my mind, but I hope I’m wrong. At least none of the OLine will pout because he replaced Tyrod. (Relax, I’m NOT saying that happened, but....? )  

Yes it did.

16 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Gheez yall are tough.  We had a guy that led us to playoffs but we couldn't wait to get rid of him and did.  Now we're trashing the new guy that has yet to take a snap in a Bill suit even though he has thrown a 2 TD passes in the playoffs.

TOUGH CROWD

Let me help you out. First we didnt get rid of Shady. There is no second....just wanted to start with first.

17 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Think about this: the Bengals offense was 100 yards per game worse with AJ under center than Dalton.  Why would Cinci play AJ ahead of Dalton???

Do you think perhaps this was because he a BACKUP thrust into starting in the playoff run/playoffs as a rookie or second year guy.  Have you ever seen a team in a similar situation tell the QB "bombs away"?  Usually a coach will play more conservative with the backup in.  276 for a backup in his first 3 or 4 games ain't chopped liver btw.

4 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Yes it did.

Let me help you out. First we didnt get rid of Shady. There is no second....just wanted to start with first.

Brilliant. Thanks for the clarification.  I guess we really did have an RB at QB after all.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

AJ's only regular season starts came in 2015 when Andy Dalton got hurt.  The Cinci offense was humming that year under Dalton, averaging 376 yards per game over the course of the first 13 games.  When AJ came in relief the  last three games, the offense slowed considerably - averaging only 276 yards per game.   AJ averaged a Tyrod-esque 184 yards passing in his three regular season starts.  

Think about this: the Bengals offense was 100 yards per game worse with AJ under center than Dalton.  Why would Cinci play AJ ahead of Dalton???

As Bills fans, we can only hope that AJ is a better QB today than he was in 2015.  Otherwise, he's Tyrod Taylor without the legs.  

The drop off in production would be expected when comparing a seasoned vet/ borderline franchise QB with any QB taking his 1st NFL snaps in a regular season game IMO.

Point taken...  

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. I would bet the farm on McCarron being the week 1 starter. Barring injury of course 

How big is that farm and are you raising pygmy goats?

image.jpeg.dc810df2b2f408ecd146949a6af9dadc.jpeg

19 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

When AJ came in relief the  last three games, the offense slowed considerably - averaging only 276 yards per game.   AJ averaged a Tyrod-esque 184 yards passing in his three regular season starts.  

My opinion on this is they did not want to put too much pressure on (at the time) the rookie.  

IIRC He had 2 INTs in the game cold off the bench and in his remaining 4 starts he had 6 TD’s.   In the playoff game against the Steelers he fell into a hole but managed taking the lead late in the 4th until Burfict and one other defender had back to back 15 yard penalties putting the Steelers in FG range, where they scored 3 with ~ 15 seconds left and the Bumgles lost by 1 or 2 points.