2018 Preseason Polls

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, The Process said:

Meaningless 

Saban hates to be ranked 1. He constantly fights against his kids getting the big head.

The above is 100% true. Saban hates when players think they are too good after a big win, and he hates when they are too depressed after a loss. The man is a genius.

Wrt the rankings, I'm not sure what to expect from the defense. Do you think they will be even almost as good as last year? Some key players (#47 Buggs and virtually the entire secondary) need to step up. As far as the offense, this could be the best one I have ever seen at Bama. I'm not joking. They are deep and great at every position (even LT lol).

Let's hope they stay healthy!

29 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm disappointed UB didn't even receive any votes.  They could really surprise this season.

The thing that will hurt them in a top 25 poll is that they don’t have a tough schedule and don’t play anyone to get a signature win or game.

Just now, Mark Vader said:

Quite a contrast.

I did not know that Wisconsin is supposed to be so good this year.

I think they will be really good ... but what helps them the most is being in the Big 10 West instead of the East. They should easily win the West and their out of conference schedule is an absolute cake walk. 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they will be really good ... but what helps them the most is being in the Big 10 West instead of the East. They should easily win the West and their out of conference schedule is an absolute cake walk. 

You're right about the Badgers non-conference schedule. Brigham Young is the toughest and they get them at home.

No Michigan State. No Ohio State.

Road games in Ann Arbor & Happy Valley will be their true test. Also that road game against Northwestern could be tricky.

I agree with you though, they should win the Big 10 West easily. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 4:49 AM, The Process said:

Meaningless 

Saban hates to be ranked 1. He constantly fights against his kids getting the big head.

no it's not meaningless,

1) the rankings are used to hype games every week, people tune in for anything with top ten teams

2) fans and media use the rankings to boost their team's accomplishments by defeating ranked teams

3) if a team isn't top 20, and isn't in TOP CONFERENCE at the start it has no legit shot at a playoff spot even if it goes undefeated

but it is meaningless in the sense that the playoffs are chosen from the top performing and/or champions of the best conferences.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

no it's not meaningless,

1) the rankings are used to hype games every week, people tune in for anything with top ten teams

2) fans and media use the rankings to boost their team's accomplishments by defeating ranked teams

3) if a team isn't top 20, and isn't in TOP CONFERENCE at the start it has no legit shot at a playoff spot even if it goes undefeated

but it is meaningless in the sense that the playoffs are chosen from the top performing and/or champions of the best conferences.

I don’t think the AP and coach's poll are meaningless but they lend less weight than they did in the BCS era. The CFB playoff poll now released in early November is the only one that matters BUT when they look at “good wins” and “bad losses”  and SOS they use these other polls to help determine that. 

17 hours ago, row_33 said:

no it's not meaningless,

Great points....I guess I was saying meaningless in the context of just the top 10 teams. Being number one at this juncture can be no more important than number ten. As a Bama fan,  if the Tide are ranked lower than 10 the season is a bust before it starts.....I try not to fall into that entitled Patriots fan trap.

College hoops makes rankings totally meaningless when the best teams square off routinely in November tournaments and a legit top ten team has 2 losses early.

This allows a midmajor who never plays a real opponent to rack up a perfect season and get top ranking into the tourney, and a free ride for the first few rounds.

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think the AP and coach's poll are meaningless but they lend less weight than they did in the BCS era. The CFB playoff poll now released in early November is the only one that matters BUT when they look at “good wins” and “bad losses”  and SOS they use these other polls to help determine that. 

It’s all good fun and causes hype and buzz and media paychecks to flow. 

can someone win the Heisman if they weren’t a top preseason candidate?

The playoffs is just picking the Champions of the top conferences, and other top teams who missed out on their Conference Championship Game. There is no supercomputer with two million variables and a committee agonizing for 35 hours.... if there is a choice to be made they take the team that generates the better TV ratings historically.

They ache to find a way to sneak Notre Dame in.... 

5 hours ago, The Process said:

Great points....I guess I was saying meaningless in the context of just the top 10 teams. Being number one at this juncture can be no more important than number ten. As a Bama fan,  if the Tide are ranked lower than 10 the season is a bust before it starts.....I try not to fall into that entitled Patriots fan trap.

A third loss is the only sure poison for Bama. 

Edited by row_33

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.