I'll throw you...

a wave when we get to Chicago!

;)

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

thanks, EiI.

I'll throw you...

a wave when we get to Chicago!

;)

Sit on the left side of the train if you get stopped @ the Amtrak bridge just inside the Illiana Line past Hammond!

Technically, those God damn boats should wait for the trains... No matter how hard they bellyache!

?

18 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Godspeed!

Throw Mama from the train...

...A kiss goodbye!

also, I have three peeps coming from the great state of Illinois. two of them are driving (one left yesterday and the the other is leaving today) and the other one is flying out Saturday morning.

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sit on the left side of the train if you get stopped @ the Amtrak bridge just inside the Illiana Line past Hammond!

Technically, those God damn boats should wait for the trains... No matter how hard they bellyache!

?

will do.

have been keeping an eye on the status of the trains and it seems they average running about 4 hours behind schedule. of course i say that and today they are practically right on time. who knows, i left myself plenty of wiggle time though by scheduling my arrival the day before.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Foxx said:

also, I have three peeps coming from the great state of Illinois. two of them are driving (one left yesterday and the the other is leaving today) and the other one is flying out Saturday morning.

will do.

have been keeping an eye on the status of the trains and it seems they average running about 4 hours behind schedule. of course i say that and today they are practically right on time. who knows, i left myself plenty of wiggle time though by scheduling my arrival the day before.

Thanks for status link! I am thinking about taking the LakeShore Ltd. for trips back... Union Station/Chicago to Depew/BFLo Station

Going old school in the 21st Century! Just don't get cray cray:

"Dealin' card games with the old men in the club car
Penny a point ain't no one keepin' score
Pass the paper bag that holds the bottle
Feel the wheels rumblin' 'neath the floor"

People are in such a rush today, on edge, even while on Holiday!  Nice to go back to a simpler time! Where, nobody got whacked out... And if they did, were dealt with swiftly!?

Enjoy!

On 8/17/2018 at 4:10 PM, GoBills808 said:

I rode on a train once. We were in the last car and everyone there was filthy and poor and the food was terrible and there wasn't enough of it. Like people were literally starving. It was freezing cold and the the trip was taking forever so a bunch of us decided to riot and move up to the next car. As we moved up from car to car it seemed like every one was nicer than the next and we quickly discovered they had been serving us ground up bugs pressed into protein bars. We found out that some of the fancier front cars were full of rich folk who had nice clothes and access to clean water and were keeping the people in the rear subjugated so they wouldn't have to worry about how long the train ride took, which we eventually found out was basically forever as there had been a climate catastrophe and the people on the train were the last vestiges of humanity. I have no idea who built the track. Anyway we finally came upon the conductor who told us that our revolution to overtake the various cars was all his idea the entire time and offered me his place as conductor and driver of the human race. I thought about it for a couple of minutes but eventually declined and me and my friend blew a hole in the train that caused an avalanche ahead and derailed us in a huge crash. I think everyone except me and my friend died and as we exited the train it was freezing cold and snowing but there was a polar bear in the distance so perhaps the planet was still habitable after all. 

You need to be careful with what you eat before bedtime.....

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

@Foxx , you should be pulling into Bryan soon..no updates? Think we need to turn this into a travelogue...i would love to read it. 

just left Elkhart. Chicago in about 40 mins.

ETA: forgot about rhe time change. 1 hr an 40mins.

got maybe three hours of sleep last night.

Edited by Foxx

25 minutes ago, Foxx said:

just left Elkhart. Chicago in about 40 mins.

ETA: forgot about rhe time change. 1 hr an 40mins.

got maybe three hours of sleep last night.

now maybe I have some things wrong...but a young lady accompanied you on this part of the trip no? Pics? Stories? (whats the train equivalent of mile high club?)

Would love to get your takes today as you travel in the daylight later today. My guess is just endless corn till nightime, but i could be wrong.

Any plans in Chicago? 

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

How'd it go!

apologies for being delinquint it reporting back on our adventure, time just seems to fly here. i am kept pretty busy with trying to make sure the wants and needs of close to 40 people are met and cared for.

went deep sea fishing aboard a charter yesterday. we must have picked a good day because it was the first day in over a month in which the boat limited out.

anyhoo, i will try to have a full report regarding the train journey on the return trip, beginning Wednesday of next week.

stay frosty.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/31/2018 at 2:22 PM, Jauronimo said:

I did Amtrak from Rochester to Chicago and back.  It was about 14 hours each way.  Never again will I travel by train in this country. 

The people are disgusting, the train is not comfortable, frequent delays and stoppages.  It was miserable and not much cheaper than air travel. 

And it'll be late late late ... I think Foxx' 69 hours will turn into 169 hours.

My daughter went to college in Cleveland for 4 years and Amtrak was never on time EVER. Sometimes I swear I could drive her to Cleveland and back again before she'd get there by train. I loved Amtrak so I didn't have to make the 4 hour drive in each direction... My Daughter detests Amtrak with a passion.

• 2 weeks later...

apologies for not posting a blow by blow account of the train ride. after tending to the needs of close to 40 people for 10 days, i was mentally exhausted and just needed the train ride home to decompress gracefully. 

i will offer some thoughts/observations though to kind of put some closure to this thread.

overall, the train experience was a positive one for me. however the same will not be said for the girl i transported across statelines. she expressed that she didn't think her bones could do that again. as i said though, i am a construction guy and as such am a bit used to a rougher side than others might be. the ride out was a bit tough because i think i may have gotten a total of 10 hours sleep over the span of three days. the Lake Shore Limited is an older train than the one we rode from Chicago to Seattle. as such was much harder to enjoy oneself on. the Empire Builder was roomier and had greater ammemities to enjoy which made the trip bearable. i'm not sure why, but i was able to sleep on the way back much more easily than i was on the way out perhaps anticipation of the event that was to come helped play a part in my lack of being able to sleep. conversely, perhaps it was the sheer exhaustion that played a role in my being able to sleep on the return trip. unknown to me really but i'm sure both played parts.

the scenery was simply beautiful. the Glaciers and the Cascades are not to be missed if you ever get the opportunity. especially along the mighty Columbia between Portland and Spokane (we took the train out of Portland on the return trip), very majestic. we also traveled through a number of the wildfires that atre plaguing the west these days, what a terrible experience for the people that live there that has to be. it was terrible enough to travel through, i couldn't imagine living through it all. no, we didn't see any of the famed Sasquatch while there, though that would have been an experience to keep. ?

all in all, i would/will do it again. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

The Puget Sound.

well, technically we really didn't spend any time in the Sound at all. we got there a day earlier than many who came out and due to the staggered arrival of those arriving a day earlier, we really never left the Sea-Tac airport hotel until the following morning on our way out to Moclips. i really wanted to visit the Pike Place Market but alas events dictated otherwise.