Could (should) NFL contracts be fully guaranteed and how?

27 minutes ago, Bruce_Stools said:

You don’t think backup players make enough money???  Why don’t you come work with me and you can do my job and I’ll sit back, because you’re better than I am, and I’ll become a millionaire riding the bench.

........doesn’t make sense to me either lol

Pro sports is fake life.  Comparing their earning power to a person working a "real job" is pointless.  

Never give a fully guaranteed deal. These guys need to earn money like the rest of the world. If they have no incentive, they have no motivation. It's been proven time and time again and none of these guys live up to the big money they get. All you get with guarantees are more Dareus situations. Mark my words by year 2 or 3 Cousins play will decline if not sooner, or he will be injured and miss a bunch of games. 

3 hours ago, Bruce_Stools said:

You don’t think backup players make enough money???  Why don’t you come work with me and you can do my job and I’ll sit back, because you’re better than I am, and I’ll become a millionaire riding the bench.

........doesn’t make sense to me either lol

Is the average career at your job more than 3.3 years? If it isnt, you are comparing apples and oranges.

I’m going to try not to go on a rant here but every time this topic comes up I get frustrated. These guys generate billions and billions of dollars. In every industry the revenue generators make money. I’m in commercial insurance and get paid more than my support staff. That’s the way that the real world works. 

The average NFL career is 3.3 years and they have minimal guarantees. If you get hurt and are a fringe guy you aren’t going to be in the league. This whole notion of “they don’t deserve it because they are millionaires” is nonsense. If your company generated billions of dollars a year the top people would be paid accordingly. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

My God no! 

Guaranteed contracts have destroyed the NHL.  

The league is full of soft floaters who know they are getting paid no matter what, and don't live in fear of being cut and out of the league tomorrow.

Then they hustle in their contract year to get some good stats for their next contract, then float for another few years....

It's ruined the game, at least in the regular season.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Is the average career at your job more than 3.3 years? If it isnt, you are comparing apples and oranges.

I’m going to try not to go on a rant here but every time this topic comes up I get frustrated. These guys generate billions and billions of dollars. In every industry the revenue generators make money. I’m in commercial insurance and get paid more than my support staff. That’s the way that the real world works. 

The average NFL career is 3.3 years and they have minimal guarantees. If you get hurt and are a fringe guy you aren’t going to be in the league. This whole notion of “they don’t deserve it because they are millionaires” is nonsense. If your company generated billions of dollars a year the top people would be paid accordingly. 

The way I see it, their careers will last possibly as long as mine.  It seems more and more players are starting businesses.  If you think they DESERVE to get paid like that, then let’s just agree to disagree.   They still have opportunities to work in a different career.  And now that they are millionaires, and/or have “celebrity” status, they have more doors opened that were not available when they didn’t have money or unrecognizable.

They are grown men getting paid to be lucky genetically, work hard in a gym, and toss a ball around.  

The argument that the players make their employers billions and therefore should get paid more, is a moot point.   I work for a very large car dealership that generates a very large amount of money annually.  I want a larger cut too, but so does everybody.  People just want more, more, and then some more.  

I don’t think they should make half as much as they do now.  

It it seems that people just get mad at the owners for being successful.  Some people would like to tell others how to distribute ones cash.

4 hours ago, stony said:

Pro sports is fake life.  Comparing their earning power to a person working a "real job" is pointless.  

It’s all perspective.  If you place it on a pedestal, it may seem fake.

So with pro sports being fake life and all, I think all pro athletes should be paid an annual salary of 895 million red m&m’s, 37 packages of ding dongs, and a coupon for half off of purchases of $50 or more at Red Robin.

17 minutes ago, Bruce_Stools said:

The way I see it, their careers will last possibly as long as mine.  It seems more and more players are starting businesses.  If you think they DESERVE to get paid like that, then let’s just agree to disagree.   They still have opportunities to work in a different career.  And now that they are millionaires, and/or have “celebrity” status, they have more doors opened that were not available when they didn’t have money or unrecognizable.

They are grown men getting paid to be lucky genetically, work hard in a gym, and toss a ball around.  

The argument that the players make their employers billions and therefore should get paid more, is a moot point.   I work for a very large car dealership that generates a very large amount of money annually.  I want a larger cut too, but so does everybody.  People just want more, more, and then some more.  

It it seems that people just get mad at the owners for being successful.  Some people would like to tell others how to distribute ones cash.

So, you don’t think that the players should make half of the money generated by the league? They aren’t just employees; they are the assets. If you were to compare them to your job the players are closer to the cars than they are the employees. They ARE what people pay for. The league generates billions of dollars selling the talents of the players. It’s the same reason that the movie industry hires A list actors. Better talent drives better revenues and they are paid commensurate with that. 

There IS no cash for the owners without the players. If you replaced the top talent in the world with replacement players you’d have the XFL. If you think that the owners would make 1/2 as much money with that kind of talent then it would be a could deal for them. Of course that notion is absurd. The revenue comes from the players. 

The whole idea that they are “overpaid” is asinine. The league generated $8B in TV revenue last year!! That’s $255M per team JUST from the TV deal!! If you think that the $177M salary cap is too much we disagree. There are a ton of other revenue streams as well. The players salaries are not out of line at all. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, joesixpack said:

They can already. All these millionaires looking for sympathy lol

Shazier was treated well by Pittsburgh, but despite being a millionaire, you feel no sympathy for him?

1 hour ago, Bruce_Stools said:

It’s all perspective.  If you place it on a pedestal, it may seem fake.

So with pro sports being fake life and all, I think all pro athletes should be paid an annual salary of 895 million red m&m’s, 37 packages of ding dongs, and a coupon for half off of purchases of $50 or more at Red Robin.

They are lucky, but being an entrepreneur has nothing to do with the value they bring or what they deserve.

It's utterly irrelevant.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

5 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Shazier was treated well by Pittsburgh, buy despite being a millionaire, you feel no sympathy for him?

They are lucky, but being an entrepreneur has nothing to do with the value they bring or what they deserve.

It's utterly irrelevant.

When we start to feel sympathetic for millionaires because the billionaires won’t pay them more money,  I’m not sure that anything is relevant.

Theres a lot of hate directed towards the people with most of the money.  The billionaires should give more to the less fortunate millionaires?  How will they sleep at night?

11 minutes ago, Bruce_Stools said:

When we start to feel sympathetic for millionaires because the billionaires won’t pay them more money,  I’m not sure that anything is relevant.

Theres a lot of hate directed towards the people with most of the money.  The billionaires should give more to the less fortunate millionaires?  How will they sleep at night?

That whole mentality is misguided. The talents of these millionaires has grown the wealth of these billionaires tenfold. They continue to share in the profits in the interest of labor peace (ie continued growth). It isn’t complicated at all. No one is “less fortunate” they are the top .000001% in the world. WE all invest heavily, both emotionally and financially, in their talents. The owners and players are the benefactors of our investment. It is ALWAYS going to be both.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s because you are looking it as a game instead of a business that generated over $14B last year. Does (or did) Mark Zuckerberg make too much money for playing on the computer?

I liked it better when I only paid $600 for my lower seats for the season.  

Mark zuckerberg lost billions this week.  He should have invested in Meadcoin 

Edited by mead107

Just now, mead107 said:

I liked it better when I only paid $600 for my lower seats for the season.  

Mark zuckerberg lost billions this week.  

Ha ha, that’s why I said “did.” 

We all liked it better when we spent less but it’s a free market. The NFL has proven that they can keep pushing and keep making more. That’s not going to change any time soon. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, that’s why I said “did.” 

We all liked it better when we spent less but it’s a free market. The NFL has proven that they can keep pushing and keep making more. That’s not going to change any time soon. 

Probably last year to keep lower seats.  Just keep club seats for 2 more years after this year.  

Then I think I will be done going to games.  

May pick 2 away games to go to. 

11 hours ago, cd1 said:

NO - There are plenty NFL players the merit only "show me" contracts.

I agree.  If you want a 'fully guaranteed contract', negotiate for it.  You might get a lot less money, but you can get it.

It just means instead of a 5 year, $50 million dollar deal with 15 guaranteed...you might get a 5 year $30 million guaranteed deal.  It is really up to the players, the agents, and the team how they want to structure a contract.  Want more guaranteed money?  Take a smaller overall deal.  It seems to me the players pushing hard for guaranteed contracts are the ones who want the big deal AND the guarantee.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Probably last year to keep lower seats.  Just keep club seats for 2 more years after this year.  

Then I think I will be done going to games.  

May pick 2 away games to go to. 

That’s not the worst way to do it. I love traveling to the away games. It becomes like a vacation. I still love going home for games but that feels more like a duty than a vacation. Those have to be long days/weekends for you already with the travel. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s not the worst way to do it. I love traveling to the away games. It becomes like a vacation. I still love going home for games but that feels more like a duty than a vacation. Those have to be long days/weekends for you already with the travel. 

I came close this year to stop purchasing season tickets. Just pick 2 home games and 2 away games.  It was close.