Beane's Counterbalance to Missing on Josh Allen: Great Trades, Drafting, and Free Agent Pickups.

19 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

some good points.

A) yes and yes

B )Daboll and Saban

and yes

C ) Absolutely !

D )I think Daboll is part of the future state. This year might be part of an acclimation back into the NFL game.
Do not feel the pieces are in place yet. Just a starting point to develop and implement his system, and evaluate. 

E ) Thats a hopeful prediction refer to A )

F ) i expect an Offense that will find its groove after a couple games, but be limited by it's talent. and the QB's  (excepting Allen who will be sitting : )  may or may not be stop gap

that is no reason to hold back the rest of the Offensive development under Brian.

this is a reasonable take.

and please Folks  BE PATIENT.

if you need to drink more so be it. but no pitchforks after game two !!

well, then don't you eat that yellow snow.

I think the Train has already left the station. and i missed it gosh darnit !

Its a concern for sure ☹️

Jordan Mills comes to mind. and he looks to be the starter yet again....

I agree 100%. I wasn't trying to suggest that the Bills are all squared away on offense heading into the future, but that the pieces in place are solid enough to get better production with a more creative and competent OC drawing up plays and calling the shots. 

I think eventually, sooner than much later, the Bills will add a game- breaking, game-changing offensive talent to the mix in the form of WR or RB.

I've got some recordings of Bills' games on discs and I'm going to watch one before the night's over, I'll see if I can pick up on the horribleness that is Jordan Mills.

I think I was in the minority, but that first year that Mills replaced Seantrel Henderson I believe it was, I thought he showed solid enough ability that warranted keeping him around for depth if nothing more.

He's no Peters, Glenn, or even Dawkins for that matter but he's not the Colin Brown of Bills' RT's either from what I've picked up.

Hiding the Colin Brown in you is a very hard thing to do.

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Mills is actually a good comparison. Bodine might be the Jordan Mills of NFL centers. Almost all the other starting players in the league at that position are better than him but almost all the guys sitting on benches as depth are worse than him. That is why Mills remains a starting right tackle. At center I like to think in Groy we might have one of the exceptions to the bench rule but we shall see. 

I may be in the minority about Groy. But i sure liked when he spelled Woods. And surprised he never could not find a way to play RG vs Ducasse.

27 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

I agree 100%. I wasn't trying to suggest that the Bills are all squared away on offense heading into the future, but that the pieces in place are solid enough to get better production with a more creative and competent OC drawing up plays and calling the shots. 

I think eventually, sooner than much later, the Bills will add a game- breaking, game-changing offensive talent to the mix in the form of WR or RB.

I've got some recordings of Bills' games on discs and I'm going to watch one before the night's over, I'll see if I can pick up on the horribleness that is Jordan Mills.

I think I was in the minority, but that first year that Mills replaced Seantrel Henderson I believe it was, I thought he showed solid enough ability that warranted keeping him around for depth if nothing more.

He's no Peters, Glenn, or even Dawkins for that matter but he's not the Colin Brown of Bills' RT's either from what I've picked up.

Hiding the Colin Brown in you is a very hard thing to do.

I was fine with Mills as depth actually.

in regard to Offense? I feel patience is needed this year. Expecting nothing much as far as player acquisitions. Likely working the new system and ironing it out, looking toward next season when the Bills will have enough money saved up to make some significant moves.

Hendy got sick. But their were FA players much better than Mills.
i may be incorrect about Jordan, but didn't he have some ties to Castillo...

The sum of the parts is what an O line needs. looking forward to seeing the Bills recover reasonably from the Woods Richie setbacks. This year

On 7/2/2018 at 5:30 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Allen missed more games in college than Rosen.

Misleading. Allen got hurt in his 1st game and sat out the seson his sophomore year. He only missed 2 and a half games after that. And then came back and played in the bowl game to end his career. Fake news.

3 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

Misleading. Allen got hurt in his 1st game and sat out the seson his sophomore year. He only missed 2 and a half games after that. And then came back and played in the bowl game to end his career. Fake news.

You make no sense.  The games Rosen missed but obviously, the game Allen missed doesn’t count.  How in the world does that make sense?

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You make no sense.  The games Rosen missed but obviously, the game Allen missed doesn’t count.  How in the world does that make sense?

Allen only missed the 2nd half of the Air Force game, and then all of the Fresno and San Jose State game. Allen got hurt the 1st game of his sophomore season. And was out for the year. He got a medical redshirt for that year. So you can't count those games against him. I guess it comes down to how many games or plays did Rosen sit out due to injuries. So state how many games you think Rosen sat out? I guarantee you Allen sat out very few plays due to injury. And will also state he is much more durable than Rosen. I would have loved to see Rosen play behind the Wyoming line. He would have quit and joined the tennis team after the first game. For some lame reason you keep trying to infer that Rosen is more durable than Allen. At least that is the only reason I can think of why you would repeatedly post that same statement over and over. I guarantee you Allen is a hard man to bring down. Rosen is more refined as a qb, but Allen is improving daily.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/2/2018 at 7:37 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean just because the guy’s a Bill and we want him to be great doesn’t mean we have to make up false narratives.  

It sounds like many more here are praying for him to fail, so they can be right. meh

typical of today's culture.

Edited by Kelly101

5 minutes ago, Kelly101 said:

It sounds like many more here are praying for him to fail, so they can be right. meh

That way of thinking seems to really exist, and it’s very sad. Hey, he wasn’t my first choice, or even my second, but he’s our guy and I’m just praying for the best. One thing I know is....I don’t know squat. Very few people here do. Sorry to break that news, but we have opinions, not the skill to do this for a living. (Some are MUCH better than most.) He’ll either pan out or he won’t. Even if they miss on Allen, I say keep the FO if they keep on the current trajectory. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

That way of thinking seems to really exist, and it’s very sad. Hey, he wasn’t my first choice, or even my second, but he’s our guy and I’m just praying for the best. One thing I know is....I don’t know squat. Very few people here do. Sorry to break that news, but we have opinions, not the skill to do this for a living. (Some are MUCH better than most.) He’ll either pan out or he won’t. Even if they miss on Allen, I say keep the FO if they keep on the current trajectory. 

Same. I was neutral on the draft, but became a huge fan of JA seeing all the drooling haters.

On 7/18/2018 at 7:26 AM, Nihilarian said:

The offensive line is an area where I think this FO feel surprisingly short in the draft and in free agency. Particularly when they just drafted a rookie QB and have a second year QB too.

I realize you can't fill every roster hole in one draft or offseason so I'm also hoping that this FO doesn't make the very same mistake that killed past regimes in the thinking that you can get by with later round picks for the offensive line. Buddy Nix and his lame idea that any tackle can play guard and any big body can play tackle.

It took Rex Ryan to see that the team needed upgrades at the offensive guard position so not only did he take a chance on Incognito when no other team would. That choice worked out well and the line would have been so much better had Ryan been able to sign undrafted FA La'el Collins who he wined and dined before he signed with Dallas. We all saw what a difference a pro bowl guard in Incognito can make to a team as he instantly helped make Woods and Glenn look so much better. 

BTW, Collins before the 2015 draft was graded as a possible top ten prospect, that is until it was announced he was to be questioned by the police about the shooting death of a woman he had a relationship with in the past. 

I'm still holding out hope that one day the Buffalo Bills with build a top offensive line like they had for their super bowl runs. Like they had for their 60's AFL championship wins. Like they basically had for every year they made the playoffs. Then again, I would really want lines like those 60 championship years in that every player was a pro bowler and even some were 1st team all pros. 

Stew Barber, Billy Shaw, Dave Behrman, Al Bemiller, Dick Hudson.

But you don't even know what Daboll plans to do with the offense based on the current roster.

You don't know how run-heavy the Bills plan to be this upcoming season.

The Bills may feel like they have the type of players in place on the O-line that the offense can succeed behind until they really start committing to the offense.

If that's the case then there was no need for them to go crazy in FA or in the draft.

I really think people's take on the O-line being neglected and overly ordinary is way overblown.

The quality of the O-line should be judged primarily on production, not the names that it is comprised of.

I have this feeling that Russell Bodine will prove to be a better pickup than people believed him to be.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/2/2018 at 9:27 PM, I am the egg man said:

Here's a song for you:

Really just thought this was so positive that it should be reposted.

2 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

The Bills may feel like they have the type of players in place on the O-line that the offense can succeed behind until they really start committing to the offense.

If that's the case then there was no need for them to go crazy in FA or in the draft.

I wouldn’t even ask for a Christmas present if the O-line ends up being reliable enough to not have to be a focal point to address next off season.

3 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

But you don't even know what Daboll plans to do with the offense based on the current roster. You don't know how run-heavy the Bills plan to be this upcoming season.

The Bills may feel like they have the type of players in place on the O-line that the offense can succeed behind until they really start committing to the offense.If that's the case then there was no need for them to go crazy in FA or in the draft.

I really think people's take on the O-line being neglected and overly ordinary is way overblown.The quality of the O-line should be judged primarily on production, not the names that it is comprised of.

I have this feeling that Russell Bodine will prove to be a better pickup than people believed him to be.

I've been around long enough to know that you need quality starters in any position on the field. I've seen more than enough bad lines in the history of this franchise and of the 15 O-line players on the current roster, only Dion Dawkins is the single Bills player who strikes me as a player who can hold his own area. 

It's not OC Daboll who I'm worried about either as he is not the line coach or run game coordinator. My take is Daboll will start with a very run-heavy offense as that is what he did in Cleveland, Miami and KC along with his time at Alabama. It's more Juan Castillo who is the O line coach and run game coordinator that worries me. I was kinda surprised he survived the offseason.

The Bills brain trust might think that Incognito wasn't worth what they were paying him and that his play had dropped off a bit. That may be true but it also might have something to do with a rookie LT and a center with a neck problem. 

I'm not the only one who thinks the Bills line took a huge downturn after losing all pros Woods, Glenn, and Incognito.

29. Buffalo Bills

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Left Tackle: Dion Dawkins, 74.5 overall grade
Left Guard: Vladimir Ducasse, 75.5
Center: Russell Bodine, 46.8
Right Guard: John Miller, 39.1
Right Tackle: Jordan Mills, 65.7

2017 season-end rank: 7th (-22)

The Bills have about as much to replace talent-wise as any offensive line in the NFL. That’s what happens when you lose your top-three starters (LT Cordy Glenn, LG Richie Incognito, C Eric Wood) along your offensive line (although Glenn only played 275 snaps this past year). Outside of rookie Dion Dawkins – who performed admirably with a 74.5 overall grade as a rookie – there’s not much room for ‘upside’ among their potential starters

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-entering-2018.

If you still feel confident that the line will be okay go back and watch that week 11 Chargers game last year. The Bills play a myriad of really good defensive teams this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/19/2018 at 7:36 PM, 3rdand12 said:

I may be in the minority about Groy. But i sure liked when he spelled Woods. And surprised he never could not find a way to play RG vs Ducasse.

I was fine with Mills as depth actually.

in regard to Offense? I feel patience is needed this year. Expecting nothing much as far as player acquisitions. Likely working the new system and ironing it out, looking toward next season when the Bills will have enough money saved up to make some significant moves.

Hendy got sick. But their were FA players much better than Mills.
i may be incorrect about Jordan, but didn't he have some ties to Castillo...

The sum of the parts is what an O line needs. looking forward to seeing the Bills recover reasonably from the Woods Richie setbacks. This year

Yeah man, I just think it's an inaccurate assessment on your part.

I've held to the belief that Jordan Mills is a decent starting RT for a minute now, went back as promised and viewed game action of him and he's what I've held him to be all along pretty much.

Jordan Mills falls somewhere between serviceable and solid.

He's certainly not the god-awful RT he's typically made out to be.

On 7/22/2018 at 12:15 AM, Nihilarian said:

I've been around long enough to know that you need quality starters in any position on the field. I've seen more than enough bad lines in the history of this franchise and of the 15 O-line players on the current roster, only Dion Dawkins is the single Bills player who strikes me as a player who can hold his own area. 

It's not OC Daboll who I'm worried about either as he is not the line coach or run game coordinator. My take is Daboll will start with a very run-heavy offense as that is what he did in Cleveland, Miami and KC along with his time at Alabama. It's more Juan Castillo who is the O line coach and run game coordinator that worries me. I was kinda surprised he survived the offseason.

The Bills brain trust might think that Incognito wasn't worth what they were paying him and that his play had dropped off a bit. That may be true but it also might have something to do with a rookie LT and a center with a neck problem. 

I'm not the only one who thinks the Bills line took a huge downturn after losing all pros Woods, Glenn, and Incognito.

29. Buffalo Bills

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Left Tackle: Dion Dawkins, 74.5 overall grade
Left Guard: Vladimir Ducasse, 75.5
Center: Russell Bodine, 46.8
Right Guard: John Miller, 39.1
Right Tackle: Jordan Mills, 65.7

2017 season-end rank: 7th (-22)

The Bills have about as much to replace talent-wise as any offensive line in the NFL. That’s what happens when you lose your top-three starters (LT Cordy Glenn, LG Richie Incognito, C Eric Wood) along your offensive line (although Glenn only played 275 snaps this past year). Outside of rookie Dion Dawkins – who performed admirably with a 74.5 overall grade as a rookie – there’s not much room for ‘upside’ among their potential starters

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-entering-2018.

If you still feel confident that the line will be okay go back and watch that week 11 Chargers game last year. The Bills play a myriad of really good defensive teams this year.

Dawkins needs to improve as a pass blocker, John Miller was solid as a rookie, Mills does a good job at holding his own for the most part and Ducasse has been decent himself.

PFF doesn't dictate the future, the future dictates to PFF. Keep in mind that after the 2015 season, PFF suggested that the Bills most likely had its franchise QB in Tyrod Taylor.

Sorry, but the Chargers game wasn't the litmus test for the O-line last season and I do know how much folks like to refer back that game when they want to undermine some part of the offensive unit.

The litmus test was the Bills O-line vs. the much more fierce Jaguars defensive line in the playoffs. 

The O-line passed the test.

However, the irony in your pointing out the departures of Wood and Incognito as reason why struggles on the O-line should be expected is that it was both Wood and Incognito who the Jags D-line had their against in that playoff game, with a defender splitting between both Incognito and Wood for a sack, with another defender beating Wood outright for a sack.

It's very possible that too much is being made about the departures and not enough credit is being given to the guys still here.

2 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Dawkins needs to improve as a pass blocker, John Miller was solid as a rookie, Mills does a good job at holding his own for the most part and Ducasse has been decent himself.

PFF doesn't dictate the future, the future dictates to PFF. Keep in mind that after the 2015 season, PFF suggested that the Bills most likely had its franchise QB in Tyrod Taylor.

Sorry, but the Chargers game wasn't the litmus test for the O-line last season and I do know how much folks like to refer back that game when they want to undermine some part of the offensive unit.

The litmus test was the Bills O-line vs. the much more fierce Jaguars defensive line in the playoffs. 

The O-line passed the test.

However, the irony in your pointing out the departures of Wood and Incognito as reason why struggles on the O-line should be expected is that it was both Wood and Incognito who the Jags D-line had their against in that playoff game, with a defender splitting between both Incognito and Wood for a sack, with another defender beating Wood outright for a sack.

It's very possible that too much is being made about the departures and not enough credit is being given to the guys still here.

Undermine some part of the unit? Joey Bosa had a field day against that line and stated at times they didn't even block him. 

The Jags game was the supposed litmus test in your view? The O line passed the test against Jacksonville? News flash!  Buffalo lost that game and only scored 3 points all game. The Jags defense sacked a very mobile running QB 2x, intercepted Bills QB's 2x and knocked Taylor out of the game. The Buffalo defense was the hero of that game holding the Jags to 10 pts.

Did they look as bad as they did against the Chargers, no! However, the Bills do get to play them again in Buffalo in week two of this year... with no Tyrod. Let's see how they do, shall we?

I'm not optimistic at all about this season and I hope it will open some eyes towards building a better line.

I look at this year's offensive lines players and liken what I see to the 2010 season's starting line. I wouldn't be surprised to see this year's team start 0-8 because that line won't be able to protect the pocket QB's in Peterman, McCarron. I also doubt the run game will work very well regardless of how often they attempt to run the ball. Naturally, the QB's and RB's will get the blame. 

@Ravens, Chargers, @Vikings, @Packers, Titans, @Texans, @Colts, Patriots. Tough first eight games and I'm hoping I'm wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/19/2018 at 7:07 PM, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

There's going to be a lot of QB's to compare Allen to. Mahomes, Watson, and Rosen are all guys that we could've picked instead of him. Watson was having the best rookie season ever until his injury. 

Something that gets glossed over a lot, but the Star Lotulelei contract is absolutely terrible. 

I think a lot of people on here are willing to overlook questionable GM decisions because Beane ended the drought. I'm willing to be patient, but there's a lot he could've done differently. Time will tell 

Well said.  :thumbsup:   Beane and McDermott haven't done all that much but they've apparently been given blank checks to do whatever they want because the Bills stumbled to 9 wins and benefited from a major faux pas by the Baltimore defense.

On 7/20/2018 at 5:41 PM, Kelly101 said:

Allen has the deck stacked against him coming to the Bills, a team that has no OL and no WR corps.  Add to that his lack of top quality coaching and relatively modest success against pretty poor competition on the college level, and he doesn't look like the horse to bet the rent on.  That's not "praying for him to fail", it's just not ignoring reality. 

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Undermine some part of the unit? Joey Bosa had a field day against that line and stated at times they didn't even block him. 

The Jags game was the supposed litmus test in your view? The O line passed the test against Jacksonville? News flash!  Buffalo lost that game and only scored 3 points all game. The Jags defense sacked a very mobile running QB 2x, intercepted Bills QB's 2x and knocked Taylor out of the game. The Buffalo defense was the hero of that game holding the Jags to 10 pts.

Did they look as bad as they did against the Chargers, no! However, the Bills do get to play them again in Buffalo in week two of this year... with no Tyrod. Let's see how they do, shall we?

I'm not optimistic at all about this season and I hope it will open some eyes towards building a better line.

I look at this year's offensive lines players and liken what I see to the 2010 season's starting line. I wouldn't be surprised to see this year's team start 0-8 because that line won't be able to protect the pocket QB's in Peterman, McCarron. I also doubt the run game will work very well regardless of how often they attempt to run the ball. Naturally, the QB's and RB's will get the blame. 

@Ravens, Chargers, @Vikings, @Packers, Titans, @Texans, @Colts, Patriots. Tough first eight games and I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Excellent post. :thumbsup:   Too many Bills fans refuse to accept the fact that OL play is the key to having a successful offense.  Unfortunately, they're going to learn a hard lesson this coming season because the Bills OL is simply not good enough, which means that the Bills offense is going to pile up three-and-out, turn overs, very few TDs, and QB injuries.

Edited by SoTier

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

No.

But in the event that he did...

i will not accept that Mills is anywhere near reliable i would never be able to take my off my right side after the snap. i read your note at work today. seems Ducasse graded out better as the season went on. Okay. i guess.

But Mills just plain cannot pass block period.

4 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

The Bills returning O-linemen played admirably against the Jaguars D-line in the playoffs, where the intensity is ratcheted up another level. 

They all passed the test and against an O-line that comprised of all Pro-Bowlers and one former.

It was both Wood and Incognito whose struggles really stood out on certain plays.

But all and all the Bills O-line held its own collectively.

The Bills put together the longest single drive versus the Jags all season in that game, so it's not as though the Jags defense kicked the Bills around the field all game long.

The Bills only scored 3 because Tyrod Taylor missed what should have been a TD toss to O'Leary in the end zone and because of a questionable play call at the goal line.

Neither interception was due to pressure. Taylor's was due to a tipped pass and Peterman's from not driving into his throw and putting much behind his pass.

The tackle that knocked Taylor out of game was Dante Fowler's only tackle of the game, and it was a dirty play if you ask me.

Almost every bad play that stood out protection-wise, came at the hands of Eric Wood, meanwhile Jordan Mills did a good job at neutralizing Yannick Ngakoue for a good portion of the game.

Edited by BurpleBull

5 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

The Bills returning O-linemen played admirably against the Jaguars D-line in the playoffs, where the intensity is ratcheted up another level. 

They all passed the test and against an O-line that comprised of all Pro-Bowlers and one former.

It was both Wood and Incognito whose struggles really stood out on certain plays.

But all and all the Bills O-line held its own collectively.

The Bills put together the longest single drive versus the Jags all season in that game, so it's not as though the Jags defense kicked the Bills around the field all game long.

The Bills only scored 3 because Tyrod Taylor missed what should have been a TD toss to O'Leary in the end zone and because of a questionable play call at the goal line.

Neither interception was due to pressure. Taylor's was due to a tipped pass and Peterman's from not driving into his throw and putting much behind his pass.

The tackle that knocked Taylor out of game was Dante Fowler's only tackle of the game, and it was a dirty play if you ask me.

Almost every bad play that stood out protection-wise, came at the hands of Eric Wood, meanwhile Jordan Mills did a good job at neutralizing Yannick Ngakoue for a good portion of the game.

Regardless of our opinions here.

You have done an admirable job of presenting and defending your points !

and maintaining the thread as it should be.

very good form and kudos to you Burple

well done  )

• Like (+1) 1