Potential West Side Stadium

BillsNYC

And that's exactly the problem.  Bloomberg and Pataki are so easy to commit city and state funds to this POS, and NYC will repeat the entire benefit.  What a joke this whole thing is.

I'm counting on the Olympic Committee to do the right thing and give the Olympics to someone else.  Then the whole Westside Stadium deal will die a nice, slow death.

276594[/snapback]

I am entirely against the stadium. I think it's completely foolish and will cause a ton of gridlock in midtown, to say nothing of security issues and having to deal more directly with idiot Jets fans. I'm with you, and Bloomberg should realize we are FOURTH in the running for the Olympics at best. Why do they have to be here every six years, anyway?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my biggest beef with it.  I have no problem with the Jets having a new stadium in NY, but it's wayyy too expensive to put it there.  Move it to Queens or somewhere else.  It would be much better off and the state would probably only have to cough up half of the $500 million.

276610[/snapback]

Not to mention there's a beautiful tennis center out there and some space to breathe and tailgate. Times Square is the tourist-trap toilet of the city. Who needs more people down there?

And that's exactly the problem.  Bloomberg and Pataki are so easy to commit city and state funds to this POS, and NYC will repeat the entire benefit.  What a joke this whole thing is.

I'm counting on the Olympic Committee to do the right thing and give the Olympics to someone else.  Then the whole Westside Stadium deal will die a nice, slow death.

276594[/snapback]

That's EXACTLY what i'm praying for. Award the stadium to Paris and then we won't have to hear about this !@#$ing stadium again. Just please get the dumbass ideas out of your heads, you greedy NY government people. The money that our whole state spends, we wouldn't see it again. Yet, NYC will get a lot more cash. :blink:

The Stadium becomes bare! Come on, like it or not, this proposed stadium will make so much money for NYC and the surrounding area.  It will be the premier stadium venue in the world for musicians, soccer, football, you name it.  Why do you think MSG and the Dolans have spent over $20m lobbying against it?  What would Buffalo do with $300m?  Build another subway that 100 people ride on a daily basis.  How much tax revenue do you think actually comes out of WNY?  Do you honestly think NYC would care if WNY left the state from a tax revenue standpoint?

276548[/snapback]

You are correct on the economic upside. What I'm missing is why should the state be subsidizing this profit opportunity for Woody Johnson? If Woody wants his stadium, he should buy the land and build it.

WNY would certainly benefit from being punted away - if only because they'd have only themselves to blame for their own misery instead of putting it on some other faceless bureaucracy which has, in reality, been funding the downward spiral of Upstate for as long as I've been alive.

Of course, if NYC didn't have the financial district it too would be circling the drain.

WNY would certainly benefit from being punted away - if only because they'd have only themselves to blame for their own misery instead of putting it on some other faceless bureaucracy which has, in reality, been funding the downward spiral of Upstate for as long as I've been alive.

Of course, if NYC didn't have the financial district it too would be circling the drain.

276621[/snapback]

Would you care to elaborate on this? I really dont know much about it and would love to hear your explanation of your first paragraph.

:unsure: Now you are starting to sound like the morons that want to waste the $500 million on that stadium, especially the NYC mayor and Wacky Pataki.

276576[/snapback]

Wow, that's a sound argument you present. B-)

I love how people continue to obsess about a one time expense of $500MM to build a revenue generating asset while ignoring the fact that this city manages to create a spending plan of $48 BILLION next year alone. That's right, the stadium would cost ONE percent of next year's NYC budget. I didn't bother to look them up, but I'm sure the state budget figures are equally disgusting.

But at least we have all those wonderful 'services'. :blink:

276621[/snapback]

Let's count the ways WNY would benefit:

- far fewer state representatives

- a significantly reduced tax base; where is all that money coming from?

- probable taxation on any dealings with the new NYC state

Keep 'em coming, secessionists.

And that's exactly the problem. Bloomberg and Pataki are so easy to commit city and state funds to this POS, and NYC will repeat the entire benefit. What a joke this whole thing is.

I'm counting on the Olympic Committee to do the right thing and give the Olympics to someone else. Then the whole Westside Stadium deal will die a nice, slow death.

Current odds on who gets 2012 Olympics

Paris 8-15 London 6-4 NY 16-1 Madrid 20-1 Moscow 50-1

Source, Ladbrokes

276639[/snapback]

Here's how they would benefit....

No more Sheldon Silver

No more Joe Bruno

No more George Pataki

No more Albany bull sh--

Come on, like it or not, this proposed stadium will make so much money for NYC and the surrounding area.

276548[/snapback]

This is the myth that never dies.

King Kaufman's Sports Daily

Aug. 22, 2003  | I'm amazed that the same old discredited arguments keep getting dragged out in defense of public financing for stadiums.

The Web site of the Oregon Stadium Campaign says that "an analysis of new ballparks constructed in the last several years reveals one consistent theme: every community with a new ballpark has experienced economic benefits that have far exceeded the region's original expectations." But every single study ever conducted by an economist not working for a company that would benefit from the construction of a stadium using tax dollars, every single one, has found that this isn't true. Publicly financed stadiums are boondoggles, not boons.

"There are very few fields of economic research that produce unanimous agreement," Smith College economist Andrew Zimbalist wrote in his book "May the Best Team Win: Baseball Economics and Public Policy." "Yet every independent economic analysis of the impact of stadiums has found no predictable positive effect on output or employment. Some studies have even concluded that there is a possible negative impact."

Construction of a new stadium doesn't make everyone -- everyone who doesn't own the team, that is -- suddenly a lot richer. Those people eating in new restaurants across the street from the new yard are doing so at the expense of the restaurants in other neighborhoods that they used to visit. The ticket-buying customers who make up those big crowds in the new park are going to fewer movies or buying fewer CDs. There's no evidence that the money being spent around the ballpark is anything but money that was already being spent elsewhere.

276639[/snapback]

Upstate New York's economic problems will be apparent on a national scale. The NYC-influenced state government is not doing what is needed to improve the business client in upstate, i.e. reduce taxes. A reduced tax base is a fine price to pay for more say in our own affairs. There are many other positive effects of secession besides these.

Seriously, what does upstate NY have to lose? The worst economy in the country?

Here's how they would benefit....

No more Sheldon Silver

No more Joe Bruno

No more George Pataki

No more Albany bull sh--

276648[/snapback]

You mean Joseph Bruno of Town of Brunswick in Rensselaer County?

Or George Pataki of Peekskill?

Or Albany, which is how many hours north of NYC?

Please come to the front and pick up your dumb post of the day award.

Would you care to elaborate on this? I really dont know much about it and would love to hear your explanation of your first paragraph.

276633[/snapback]

WNY has been a debtor to NYC for as long as I've been alive. It's pretty much that simple.

Seceding would benefit the folks Upstate only if they'd be willing to give up alot of the programs that so many currently depend on and completely reinvent the region. I can't see the Unions/Politicians who control the region giving up very easily.

WNY has been a debtor to NYC for as long as I've been alive.  It's pretty much that simple.

Seceding would benefit the folks Upstate only if they'd be willing to give up alot of the programs that so many currently depend on and completely reinvent the region.  I can't see the Unions/Politicians who control the region giving up very easily.

276660[/snapback]

It's kind of like curing heroin addiction. Lock the addict away from the heroin until he's detoxed.

You cut off those downstate funds, they'll have no choice but to make ends meet, and that means cutting the pork.

WNY has been a debtor to NYC for as long as I've been alive.  It's pretty much that simple.

Seceding would benefit the folks Upstate only if they'd be willing to give up alot of the programs that so many currently depend on and completely reinvent the region.  I can't see the Unions/Politicians who control the region giving up very easily.

276660[/snapback]

And what is the likely hood of that? See sig line...... :blink:

276660[/snapback]

The following question is NOT a slap at WNY!!!!!!!!!! I have stated many times that I love the reigon and would consider living there.

How did they let the area around Niagra Falls become a ghetto? Aren't there HUGE tourist dollars, and the potential for more?