Major vs. Minor League Experience

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Timberwolves went to the playoffs this year.

Also, I did the minor league thing last night. We went to the Baby Cakes game. Thursday’s they do $2 beers and you can bring your dog. 5 of us went (plus my dog). We tailgated, played cornhole and drank about 15 beers over the course of the night. It was a lot of fun.

What happened to the Zephyrs? 

Thats another issue with minor league baseball.  

All these trendy 2-word nicknames that are trying too hard to be unique, but they are corny and boring.  Zephyrs were awesome as well as the green and blue color scheme.  

38 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

They do once in a while actually. About 10 games a year. Used to be if the Mets were off, and the Bisons were home, SNY would show them when we were their farm team. But I'm talking about the hypothetical market if we had gotten a Major League team, or at least what it was back in the early 90s.

Thanks Real!

I'd watch them if they were on TV, way better than the Toronto MLB team pretending it has any other recourse than burning the mother down and starting from scratch...

On 6/12/2018 at 3:22 PM, May Day 10 said:

Minor league baseball.... mainly AAA is the lowest form of North American pro sports.  Bisons games are terrible.  Most of the top rated prospects go through full seasons of A and AA as opposed to much AAA. Guys there, you can tell are mostly going through the motions.  Competition is on the back burner.  Pitch counts are paramount and never deviated from.  If you have a team that goes to the "playoffs", September call-ups completely ravage your team and the lineup that plays in your "playoff" games does not have much in common with the lineup from the season.  

Going to a Bisons game now... baseball, I wouldnt even consider secondary.  Its like 3rd or 4th priority-wise there.  Its so secondary, they wont even tell you what the official scorer calls an error/hit (until its on the scoreboard and often changes once the scoreboard operator is informed later).  My dad keeps score and totals up at the end.  Every piece of baseball information is scrubbed from the scoreboard like .0005 seconds after the last out is recorded.  Nobody cares, and hardly anyone would attend without the daily "gimmick".

Back in War Memorial Stadium and earlier in Pilot Field's existence, it felt like much more of a baseball game.  I think the players cared more and we had many more "career minor leaguers" who had their place in AAA and would compete.  That is all gone now. 

MLB isnt even comparable at this point.  I would say A and AA is slightly better because players are really scrapping for survival.... but it isnt better by much.  They also change logos, uniforms, affiliations, and identities all the time.  Tradition has been thrown in the waste basket.  Everything has completely capitulated to their MLB overlords.

I think the erosion of minor league and community baseball is as much to blame for the suffering and cloudy future of MLB interest than the "speed of play" nonsense.  They have rooted decent baseball from small towns.  The NY Penn League used to be great until the ripped everything out for "communities" that really needed it, such as Brooklyn, Staten Island, Lowell, Norwich, CT, and State College.

Yep.  The only time Triple A baseball is really worth attending is if a MLB star is on a rehab assignment.  

The future stars are in Single and Double A ball.  

18 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The Sabres are getting awfully close to creeping into that list :(

If you told me five years ago the Bills were making it before the Sabres, I would have laughed in your face. Hopefully Dahlin can turn things around. Last season was the first season since I moved away that I didn't buy the Center Ice package.

18 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

If you told me five years ago the Bills were making it before the Sabres, I would have laughed in your face. Hopefully Dahlin can turn things around. Last season was the first season since I moved away that I didn't buy the Center Ice package.

It's crazy I don't think anybody realized how low the Sabres were going to sink when the Pegula's took over, but I'm optimistic for the future.  We might still be pretty bad next year but we do have some young talent to build around in Eichel, Dahlin, Middelstadt for the long haul.