VT WR Cam Phillips...Can he make the team?

[This is an automated response]As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Badanswer said:

I believe we are a lot better off at wide receiver than at the finish of last year.

Just watch some of this kids highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IHQvU8Ju88

Competition in camp is always good

He plays a little bit like Stevie Johnson. Hopefully one of these late round guys develop into a starting WR.

Edited by billspro
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, billspro said:

He plays a little bit like Stevie Johnson. Hopefully one of these late round guys develop into a starting WR.

I like the Stevie Johnson comparison.

I don't see why he can't win a spot as a WR on our current roster. I like how he is able to fight and get the ball in some of those highlights.

• Like (+1) 1

As one of this board's two VT season ticket holders, I like Cam because he catches anything near him. He plays with the edge/attitude that I like from a WR. Very good RAC ability (a bit like a running back after catching the ball, he doesn't go down easily). He was injured the entire second half of this past season, which is surely why he wasn't drafted. My biggest question with Cam is straight line speed. He's not the biggest, not the fastest. So, can he beat NFL DBs? We shall see.... As an ACC guy, I do think he was a much better college receiver than Austin Proehl. Seems Proehl was drafted as a family favor, which annoys me.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, October 1918 said:

As one of this board's two VT season ticket holders, I like Cam because he catches anything near him. He plays with the edge/attitude that I like from a WR. Very good RAC ability (a bit like a running back after catching the ball, he doesn't go down easily). He was injured the entire second half of this past season, which is surely why he wasn't drafted. My biggest question with Cam is straight line speed. He's not the biggest, not the fastest. So, can he beat NFL DBs? We shall see.... As an ACC guy, I do think he was a much better college receiver than Austin Proehl. Seems Proehl was drafted as a family favor, which annoys me.

Thank you very much for that assessment...Cam looks determined and I love the RAC ability...seems hard to tackle. 

6 minutes ago, October 1918 said:

Why?  

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No chance. Slower than Tom Brady running in quick sand with a piano on his back.

I agree that Cam Phillips running in quick sand with a piano on his back would be slower than Tommy boy.

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why?  

Ricky Proehl was on the staff at Carolina with Beane and McDermott. So drafting Austin Proehl seems to be based less on "trust the process" and more on family connections. I just didn't think Austin was very good at UNC. He barely caught any passes. If he didn't have an NFL father, no way he'd get drafted. In comparison Cam Phillips started all 4 years at VT and is the school's all-time leading receiver. Huge difference in productivity.

3 minutes ago, October 1918 said:

Ricky Proehl was on the staff at Carolina with Beane and McDermott. So drafting Austin Proehl seems to be based less on "trust the process" and more on family connections. I just didn't think Austin was very good at UNC. He barely caught any passes. If he didn't have an NFL father, no way he'd get drafted. In comparison Cam Phillips started all 4 years at VT and is the school's all-time leading receiver. Huge difference in productivity.

Yeah but Proehl was the penultimate (2nd-to-last) pick of the NFL draft.  If the Bills hadn't selected him, they probably would have signed him as an UDFA anyway.  And if he turns out to be good...

On 6/8/2018 at 1:44 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

No chance. Slower than Tom Brady running in quick sand with a piano on his back.

4.79 40  Buffalo will probably have 8 or 9 starters on the defense who can outrun him.

9 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

4.79 40  Buffalo will probably have 8 or 9 starters on the defense who can outrun him.

I don't know, he looked faster than that on tape. Still not the fastest, but he looked quick, which can help create separation. That 40 time might be a little misleading...