[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

From Vogl at The Athletic:

Jack Eichel ready to help lead a locker room of new faces...

Jack Eichel has watched with increasing interest as the Sabres have made change after change this offseason.

“I think it needed to happen,” Buffalo’s franchise center told The Athletic this week. “Whenever you have as little success as we did last year, changes are bound to happen, and I think it’s a good thing.”

When Eichel cleaned out his locker following the team’s last-place season, he joined the multitudes in saying something needed to be done. General manager Jason Botterill delivered by adding forwards Jeff Skinner, Conor Sheary, Patrik Berglund, Tage Thompson and Vladimir Sobotka, goaltender Carter Hutton, No. 1 overall draft pick Rasmus Dahlin and several high-end prospects.

“We’ve got a lot of fresh faces that don’t really have the sour taste of last season and the two seasons before with them,” Eichel said by phone.

Well, good thing Buffalo already has 3 next year, then! 

Jason Botterill will look brilliant if this 2019 draft ends up being as deep as 2015 was (assuming he hits on the picks, that is). 

Ive said it numerous times, but I’ll say it again - that 2015 draft alone could have set Buffalo up for the next 10yrs. 

So, hopefully, 2019 will give us another chance at that. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Well, good thing Buffalo already has 3 next year, then! 

Jason Botterill will look brilliant if this 2019 draft ends up being as deep as 2015 was (assuming he hits on the picks, that is). 

Ive said it numerous times, but I’ll say it again - that 2015 draft alone could have set Buffalo up for the next 10yrs. 

So, hopefully, 2019 will give us another chance at that. 

How so?  We only had one first round pick, IIRC.

I'm set for next year's tank, in either case: Lose for Hughes! 

17 minutes ago, bbb said:

How so?  We only had one first round pick, IIRC.

I'm set for next year's tank, in either case: Lose for Hughes! 

I wasn’t very clear, but I meant if we had kept the 4 picks in the top 31 that we originally had before Tim Murray traded 3 of the 4 picks away. 

That draft was sooo deep with talent. When you look at the player we could have had at #21, #25 and #31, it could have set the Sabres up for years to come (had they kept & hit on those picks). 

Imagine if they had picked any of Brock Boeser, Sebastian Aho, Colon White, Jacob Larsson, Travis Konecny, Travis Dermott, Jack Roslovic or even Noah Juulsen, Anthony Beauvillier, Gabriel Carlsson, Nick Merkley, Brandon Carlo. 

The list of good young players available at those picks is quite long. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NHL_Entry_Draft

The 2015 draft could go down as the deepest/best since the legendary 2003 draft. 

But who knows, maybe we wouldn’t have Dahlin, or even Mittelstadt right now if they had kept+hit on those 2015 picks, so I guess maybe everything happens for a reason... 

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wasn’t very clear, but I meant if we had kept the 4 picks in the top 31 that we originally had before Tim Murray traded 3 of the 4 picks away. 

That draft was sooo deep with talent. When you look at the player we could have had at #21, #25 and #31, it could have set the Sabres up for years to come (had they kept & hit on those picks). 

Imagine if they had picked any of Brock Boeser, Sebastian Aho, Colon White, Jacob Larsson, Travis Konecny, Travis Dermott, Jack Roslovic or even Noah Juulsen, Anthony Beauvillier, Gabriel Carlsson, Nick Merkley, Brandon Carlo. 

The list of good young players available at those picks is quite long. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NHL_Entry_Draft

The 2015 draft could go down as the deepest/best since the legendary 2003 draft. 

But who knows, maybe we wouldn’t have Dahlin, or even Mittelstadt right now if they had kept+hit on those 2015 picks, so I guess maybe everything happens for a reason... 

Man, as if I didn't hate Murray enough as it was!  :wallbash:

• Haha (+1) 1

Or they could have taken any one of the eventual duds who were available at the time of those picks.  If we're going to assume that they would have taken who would up being the best player out of those available, we also need to consider the just as likely scenario where they missed on those guys.  It pretty much comes down to a coin toss as to whether or not the system would be any better than it currently is.

-The Lehner trade, there's no debate.  That pick was completely thrown away.

-With the other two picks, there is at least still something remaining from it or returns from later trades.  So would you rather have those prospects you listed or would you rather have some combination of Thompson/the St. Louis 1st/Sobotka/Berglund/the San Jose 1st/O'Regan?  That seems like a pretty decent return for two first round picks and a 2nd, especially when compared to the uncertainty of who they may have drafted.

Sabres' Eichel ready to help turn this franchise around

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - Jack Eichel is back in town and was skating with three of his teammates on Wednesday at HarborCenter.

The Sabres have nine new players coming in this season and 10 have left. That means there’s a big change in the locker-room and I could just tell by talking to Eichel that he’s excited for this season, “It’s good to be back here, I’m pretty excited to be playing again, so it’s been a long summer, a lot to think about and I’m just excited for another season.”

30 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Good, but sad story, from TSN about Joe Murphy..

https://www.tsn.ca/video/tsn-original-finding-murph~1466368

Man, this dude is 6 years younger than me...hope good things are in store for him, he needs some help

That is heart breaking.  How the NHL and NHLPA abandon these guys is absolutely mortifying.

• Like (+1) 1