Surprise Candidates For Starting WR Spots

42 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Is too many variables code for “I only watched a highlight video and only argue the positives for most players”?

All the things chandler are pointing out are consistent knocks. He’s not a great route runner or technician which limits him. He double clutches or body catches a lot of balls. He could develop- no one is saying he can’t- but it’s a big task she likely not a big contributor in the short term even if he’s suddenly become passionate about his craft 

I can only go by the video that was posted because I dont follow him?  I was making observations about the posted video.

Is your post code for "lets see how big of a jerk I can be"?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I can only go by the video that was posted because I dont follow him?  I was making observations about the posted video.

Is your post code for "lets see how big of a jerk I can be"?

You could just say I was right.

It’s ok to concede you don’t really know the guy instead of some silliness about there being a lot of variables. He came with warts, and someone familiar was giving you good feedback on who he is as a player. It was a good opportunity to learn about him instead of cheerleading 

38 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

You could just say I was right.

It’s ok to concede you don’t really know the guy instead of some silliness about there being a lot of variables. He came with warts, and someone familiar was giving you good feedback on who he is as a player. It was a good opportunity to learn about him instead of cheerleading 

We will revisit this after we see him play for the bills....at which point I will allow you to apologize for thinking you know everything.

15 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

I beg to differ. Our fifth WR is not the worst in the league. A lot of teams are top heavy (a couple good and then a huge drop off).  A guy like Andre Holmes or Rod Streater would be our fifth. They both had success in this league. 

Name one WR corps that is worse than the Bills. 

Andre Holmes is the Bills #2 WR right now and despite good health he's accumulated less than 500 yards TOTAL in the past 3 seasons.

Streater hasn't done anything in 5 years........this is likely the only team that would waste reps on him at this point.    Kinda' surreal that an NFL team is extending this chance to him after 4 years of not being able to stay on the field.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ

On 5/24/2018 at 10:14 PM, uticaclub said:

I have hope for Robert Foster, supposedly was a Five Star recruit out of high school and didn’t see enough balls at Bama to turn heads.

I can see a FA like Eric Decker or someone who gets cut in camp stepping up

Well fellas time to line up at New Era and drop your trousers, we got to make sure Foster sees as many balls as possible. We need a WR, take 1 for the team and join the process

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Andre Holmes is the Bills #2 WR right now and despite good health he's accumulated less than 500 yards TOTAL in the past 3 seasons.

Streater hasn't done anything in 5 years........this is likely the only team that would waste reps on him at this point.    Kinda' surreal that an NFL team is extending this chance to him after 4 years of not being able to stay on the field.   

49ers are probably as bad. They have an ancient Pierre Garcon and Marques Goodwin. The rest are no names.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My point is I hate making a final determination on the product these guys are gonna have until we actually see it on the field.  I might feel totally different about it after pre season.

Right now its a wait and see.   Both Benjamin and Kerley have had their moments.  If one of two of the young guys turns out to be a player then they could be an average group.  They are hamstrung with the dead cap situation and I expect splashes with next year's cap room and no big money QB having to be paid.

On 5/24/2018 at 7:00 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know very little about Proehl, but it seems as if he might be better then adversitised. I have a guy feeling he ends up playing a lot in the slot and ends up being a Beasley type of guy. No actual reason, just gut.

he has a little Mayfield attitude in him.Which I think is good for a slot guy. My son interviewed him about five years ago and liked his fire. (My son coached in North Carolina back then). I was upset we didn't draft the kid from Notre Dame but the coaches my son communicate s with said he was "a pure kitty". So I hope Proehl makes it!!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

he has a little Mayfield attitude in him.Which I think is good for a slot guy. My son interviewed him about five years ago and liked his fire. (My son coached in North Carolina back then). I was upset we didn't draft the kid from Notre Dame but the coaches my son communicate s with said he was "a pure kitty". So I hope Proehl makes it!!!!!

Really hoping one of these rooks is lightening in a bottle

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We will revisit this after we see him play for the bills....at which point I will allow you to apologize for thinking you know everything.

To be fair, most of my “know it all” attitude was about your conduct and not Dupree. And I was actually right. 

Chandler gave a very accurate scouting report on the guy. He comes with warts but is talented enough that if he really commits to the game he could be a player down the line. He runs sloppy routes, doesn’t get in and out of breaks well, gets jammed up at the line and doesn’t snag the ball with his hands as well as some... but is a physical specimen. Big, fast. He will have to also become a technician of the game though and has had motivation issues. Most of those warts I listed are correctable but again, will hinge on his dedication. There’s a reason that obj went top half of the first round, Jarvis second round, and Dupree was a 7th rounder that was cut and then sat on a practice squad despite being an elite recruit out of high school. It’s not just scheme, or qb or.... its his play being inconsistent. 

I’m not claiming to know where he will go but I don’t think sharing where he’s been is being a know it all. Again, it’s ok to say you simply aren’t familiar and seek out video, opinions, etc... before reaching an opinion based on a YouTube fan video, or playing coy with “there are lots of variables” when asked your take on why he fell. Just say you aren’t familiar with him.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

To be fair, most of my “know it all” attitude was about your conduct and not Dupree. And I was actually right. 

Chandler gave a very accurate scouting report on the guy. He comes with warts but is talented enough that if he really commits to the game he could be a player down the line. He runs sloppy routes, doesn’t get in and out of breaks well, gets jammed up at the line and doesn’t snag the ball with his hands as well as some... but is a physical specimen. Big, fast. He will have to also become a technician of the game though and has had motivation issues. Most of those warts I listed are correctable but again, will hinge on his dedication. There’s a reason that obj went top half of the first round, Jarvis second round, and Dupree was a 7th rounder that was cut and then sat on a practice squad despite being an elite recruit out of high school. It’s not just scheme, or qb or.... its his play being inconsistent. 

I’m not claiming to know where he will go but I don’t think sharing where he’s been is being a know it all. Again, it’s ok to say you simply aren’t familiar and seek out video, opinions, etc... before reaching an opinion based on a YouTube fan video, or playing coy with “there are lots of variables” when asked your take on why he fell. Just say you aren’t familiar with him.

And.....as we know the draft is an exact science right?  (oh wait....not it isnt or guys like Stevie Johnson or 7-11 would never get their opportunities in the NFL.)

If you are speaking about his past performance and where he is drafted you would be right because those are facts and who can actually dispute that?

If we are talking about what he would possibly be for the bills (what I was actually talking about) or if we are talking about the video that was present (what I definately was talking about) then my observations were true......he constantly had to slow down and shield off defenders to give himself a chance at the ball.....that he bobbled balls but fought for control till he got it and hit the ground.....also true.

By the way.....my conduct was simply giving my opinion.....I guess that is just that difference between us "common" fans and those "dialed in super fans"

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And.....as we know the draft is an exact science right?  (oh wait....not it isnt or guys like Stevie Johnson or 7-11 would never get their opportunities in the NFL.)

If you are speaking about his past performance and where he is drafted you would be right because those are facts and who can actually dispute that?

If we are talking about what he would possibly be for the bills (what I was actually talking about) or if we are talking about the video that was present (what I definately was talking about) then my observations were true......he constantly had to slow down and shield off defenders to give himself a chance at the ball.....that he bobbled balls but fought for control till he got it and hit the ground.....also true.

By the way.....my conduct was simply giving my opinion.....I guess that is just that difference between us "common" fans and those "dialed in super fans"

Let’s not pretend I’m calling you out there for not knowing him. I’m calling you out for playing games about it instead of just being straight with your answer. Saying there are a lot of variables was silly. Without looking I’m guessing I couldn’t tell you much about 28 of last years 7th rounders.

I happen to know a bit about this one based on my proximity to LSU and by proxy LSU fans.

To double down with your super fan dig is completely ridiculous. In the thread I used the term, it was sticking up for a guy that obviously didn’t come to talk bills football 365 days a year like us so I pointed out we pretty much all consume more bills/draft news than 99% of bills fans. You included. 

Ill let this go though, and we can continue via PM if needed. No need to further derail with us quibbling now that we are far beyond the player in question. 

4 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

49ers are probably as bad. They have an ancient Pierre Garcon and Marques Goodwin. The rest are no names.

SF corps is one of the worst but the top 3 with the Niners are all proven and coming off better seasons than the Bills top 3..........and they also drafted Pettis 44th overall in the second round and he has yet to prove himself to be one of the worst WR in the NFL like Zay Jones did.........so they definitely look better than the Bills group.

Andre Holmes and Jeremy Kerley in your top 3 is a truly special kind of awful in 2018.

It would be less surprising to hear those two were out of the NFL than that they were projecting as top 3 wideouts for some team in 2018.

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

My point is I hate making a final determination on the product these guys are gonna have until we actually see it on the field.  I might feel totally different about it after pre season.

Right now its a wait and see.   Both Benjamin and Kerley have had their moments.  If one of two of the young guys turns out to be a player then they could be an average group.  They are hamstrung with the dead cap situation and I expect splashes with next year's cap room and no big money QB having to be paid.

The point of this exercise is to give a realistic projection.   That's all.    The Bills have a a gimpy, bottom of the league level WR1 and a bunch of guys with EVERYTHING to prove.   Including the vets.    It's a brutal looking WR corps.  

See BillsEnthusiast's post.    SF had close to $100M to spend last offseason and basically added nothing to a fairly weak corps.   There is just a dearth of WR talent making it to FA.    Doesn't matter that the Bills have $50M to spend in the offseason if the talent doesn't make it to free agency.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/25/2018 at 2:43 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I was really happy when they added Malachi. He was one of the top WR recruits in the country. At LSU he played with ? QBs. The talent was always there. He’s worth developing.

Agree. Wouldn't be shocked or disappointed to see him make the cut. 

52 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

See BillsEnthusiast's post.    SF had close to $100M to spend last offseason and basically added nothing to a fairly weak corps.   There is just a dearth of WR talent making it to FA.    Doesn't matter that the Bills have $50M to spend in the offseason if the talent doesn't make it to free agency.

Yep. Just look how much Sammy Watkins got and most people around here want to label him an injury prone, bad attitude bust. 

#1 WRs don't hit the market. Sometimes kinda good 2As do but you almost always end up paying them #1 money. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Wouldn't be shocked or disappointed to see him make the cut. 

Yep. Just look how much Sammy Watkins got and most people around here want to label him an injury prone, bad attitude bust. 

#1 WRs don't hit the market. Sometimes kinda good 2As do but you almost always end up paying them #1 money. 

I know it is absolutely not going to be looked at favorably at this time but we have to hope that Zay Jones can turn it around and be what the bills envisioned when we drafted him.   2nd round wide receivers have to produce.

His 1st year was a disaster......but I still have hopes that he can be salvaged.   I am almost positive that next year's draft is gonna be about offensive weapons given how much work has been down to the defense this year.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

SF corps is one of the worst but the top 3 with the Niners are all proven and coming off better seasons than the Bills top 3..........and they also drafted Pettis 44th overall in the second round and he has yet to prove himself to be one of the worst WR in the NFL like Zay Jones did.........so they definitely look better than the Bills group.

Andre Holmes and Jeremy Kerley in your top 3 is a truly special kind of awful in 2018.

It would be less surprising to hear those two were out of the NFL than that they were projecting as top 3 wideouts for some team in 2018.

The point of this exercise is to give a realistic projection.   That's all.    The Bills have a a gimpy, bottom of the league level WR1 and a bunch of guys with EVERYTHING to prove.   Including the vets.    It's a brutal looking WR corps.  

I can see it as a realistic projection.

I am hoping we are pleasantly suprised.