Buffalo News is downsizing.....

https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2018/05/14/section-cuts-staff-reductions-coming-to-the.html

No doubt it's a sign of the times, the rapidly decline of a once great institution that was deemed as the lifeblood of keeping people informed, the local newspaper.

But, the BN's almighty mindset, constant Trump trashing, Pegula bashing, helped expedite the BN''s demise among locals and losing money for the 1st time in 40 yrs. 

Looks like Buffalo Business First, since I posted this, has locked out the article itself leaving up only the headline, but it has also been reported on WBEN radio too.

Edited by Ifartalot

11 minutes ago, GG said:

And yet people are complaining about paying $3/mo for pretty good Bills coverage.

.....seems too often like speculative commentaries to me, which are available everywhere for free.

2 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

.....seems too often like speculative commentaries to me, which are available everywhere for free.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I am able to read the entire article, so...

Summary:

Reduce the number of print editions (early editions, late editions, Niagara edition, etc.).

Eliminate TV Topics.

Monday to Saturday will be three sections (front, region, business). Some of the stuff from the "Life/Entertainment" section will be moved, some will be eliminated).

Get rid of most jobs in the newsroom that are not reporters/photographers/editors.

Reporters to be more active on Twitter to promote articles, and interact with followers.

Make the paywall tougher.

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Summary:

Reduce the number of print editions (early editions, late editions, Niagara edition, etc.).

Eliminate TV Topics.

Monday to Saturday will be three sections (front, region, business). Some of the stuff from the "Life/Entertainment" section will be moved, some will be eliminated).

Get rid of most jobs in the newsroom that are not reporters/photographers/editors.

Reporters to be more active on Twitter to promote articles, and interact with followers.

They have reporters?  I thought they just printed the AP newswire.

3 hours ago, Nanker said:

If they want people to buy that rag, they should stop having a website. That goes for all newspapers and magazines.

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Summary:

Eliminate TV Topics.

Too little too late to save these sinking ships. It ain't 'cuz of ink costs. 

Enjoy 'em while they're here. 

It's been a while, but I recall Timmah! Graham linking articles on Twitter about contract negotations going on at BN. 

Naturally his tilt was, "They deserve more because they work hard and they're the best," but I wonder to what extent the owners realized that "journalists are a dime-a-dozen so let's start cutting positions and see how the negotiations move on from there."

46 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

The article is still there, it's just rapidly covered by their subscription bullschiff. If you hit the stop button fast enough, you can read the article.

My favorite kind of paywall.  "Hit stop to avoid it."  :lol:

I ought to write a browser plug-in that detects paywall code in the http stream and just deletes it or tells the browser not to execute it.

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

My favorite kind of paywall.  "Hit stop to avoid it."  :lol:

I ought to write a browser plug-in that detects paywall code in the http stream and just deletes it or tells the browser not to execute it.

If you can include removing anti-adblock walls in that plug-in, I'd appreciate it.

2 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

I recall Timmah! Graham  on Twitter about contract negotiations going on at BN. 

Never a smart move with a Warren Buffet owned company

2 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

I wonder to what extent the owners realized that journalists are a dime-a-dozen

.....when newspapers stop selling and revenues drop be my guess.

2 hours ago, Koko78 said:

The article is still there, it's just rapidly covered by their subscription bullschiff. If you hit the stop button fast enough, you can read the article.

I think that's part of the problem.  It's surprising to me they can't get enough advertising to turn a profit on their website by letting people read the articles for free.