Watch parents screw up their children...

2 minutes ago, Real News said:

There's certainly a fair argument for this if you're willing to make it. Do you see a difference between gender and sex?

I'm painfully aware of the arguments, and I disagree with them strongly.

The conflation of gender roles with gender itself is problematic, as it's derivative from a flawed intersectional model of a ruthless power hierarchy (hierarchies exist, but are not defined exclusively, or even primarily, by power).

Self-identity is even more problematic, as it rejects biological imperatives and empirical data in favor of anecdote and individual experience, which is, by nature, limited in it's ability to properly define the world. 

if you are very rich or very poor you can ignore what is obvious in this world

if you aren't, good freakin luck demanding everyone you meet put up with your useless idiosyncracies....  :D

Edited by row_33

There are some advantages of just being able to say, "I do declare" and get the privileges of the opposite gender/sex. Like when I adopt a new cat (my cats identify as humans), I call it my baby, and go on maternity leave. Or, when I walk around the 24hr women's locker room buck naked and at half staff because I identify as an 80 year old Asian lady. You guys are just antiquated and far behind the times...

11 minutes ago, Paulus said:

There are some advantages of just being able to say, "I do declare" and get the privileges of the opposite gender/sex. Like when I adopt a new cat (my cats identify as humans), I call it my baby, and go on maternity leave. Or, when I walk around the 24hr women's locker room buck naked and at half staff because I identify as an 80 year old Asian lady. You guys are just antiquated and far behind the times...

one might look down the road to later years and realize their genitals won't be carrying them for their entire self-esteem and accomplishment in life, there are always exceptions

51 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I'm painfully aware of the arguments, and I disagree with them strongly.

The conflation of gender roles with gender itself is problematic, as it's derivative from a flawed intersectional model of a ruthless power hierarchy (hierarchies exist, but are not defined exclusively, or even primarily, by power).

Self-identity is even more problematic, as it rejects biological imperatives and empirical data in favor of anecdote and individual experience, which is, by nature, limited in it's ability to properly define the world. 

By argument for this, I meant an argument for your take, which you briefly go over with your last two sentences. Thanks for your input.

Do you think people have the right to self identify as they wish outside of their sex?

5 minutes ago, Real News said:

By argument for this, I meant an argument for your take, which you briefly go over with your last two sentences. Thanks for your input.

Do you think people have the right to self identify as they wish outside of their sex?

Of course they do. What they don't have is the right to expect me to acknowledge their fantasies.

20 minutes ago, row_33 said:

one might look down the road to later years and realize their genitals won't be carrying them for their entire self-esteem and accomplishment in life, there are always exceptions

Honestly, I find the edicts being dictated to the masses regarding this abomination of a trend, guised as science, to be really devastating to society as a whole, not just the small numbers of individuals it ravages. What is the root cause of this? That is what I want to know. 

15 minutes ago, Real News said:

People have the right to believe anything they want, and to identify as anything they want.  However, belief in something does not make it true, and I am comfortable saying that indulging people in their fantasies, often in these sorts of cases tied directly to mental illness or emotional trauma, does them far more harm than good.

As such, while they have the absolute right to their thoughts, they do not have the right to mine, nor to have their thoughts override empirical data or biological certainty when addressing societal norms and structures.

• Thank you (+1) 1

you are free to believe what you want

when you have to talk to other people this may get challenged

needlessly exposing yourself to public opprobrium that isn't really necessary and is very harmful isn't a wise thing to do

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

. Or, when I walk around the 24hr women's locker room buck naked and at half staff because I identify as an 80 year old Asian lady. You guys are just antiquated and far behind the times...

So do the other women look down and agree that you're Asian?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Real News said:

Of course, that's not really what the issue is...but, yes.  You can self-identify as a flying pink elephant, for all I care.  

3 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It's post-modernist bull ****.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you.  I'm just pointing out that it has been said and accepted as new dogma.  It isn't going away, so (as I said in my earlier post) work the system.

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you.  I'm just pointing out that it has been said and accepted as new dogma.  It isn't going away, so (as I said in my earlier post) work the system.

Indeed it has.

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Just now, Real News said:

Indeed it has.

I disagree with this.  It is attempting to be forwarded as a new dogma, and has yet to be universally accepted.  It is important to resist it's incursion.

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I disagree with this.  It is attempting to be forwarded as a new dogma, and has yet to be universally accepted.  It is important to resist it's incursion.

It's accepted in the urban centers in the northeast and west coasts.  That's all that matters.

7 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I agree with you and have actually used WHO to refute some of the "new American dogma" which does pronounce to accept this hogwash, even pushing it.

• Thank you (+1) 1