Edmunds & Milano = Our Kuechly & Davis

H2o

7 minutes ago, dabills21 said:

My apologies.  Carolina officially lists Davis as their will and Shaq Thompson at their Sam.  For the record, Davis has played both Sam and will during his career.

My original point is not to get caught up in the Sam vs will position listing, but rather that Davis is a much more explosive and physical player than Milano. 

Milanos strength and physicality was his big weakness last season.  He overcomes some of that with instincts and his short area burst.  But once linemen engage with him, he was usually overmatched.  Not to say he can't improve on that,  hopefully, with an NFL off-season program, he can further hone in and develop in those areas.

I wouldn't be shocked, if he and Humber rotate again this season.  Milano is certainly the sub package, nickle backer, but I don't think he has graduated to 3 down territory yet.  we will see

I really hope to see very little of Humber. He was terrible and it was so obvious. Every time something went wrong on defense, even if it wasn't Milano's fault, it seemed like McDermott threw Humber out there, like he was going to stop the bleeding. He's awful. It annoyed me that McDermott didn't trust Milano. Young guys like Milano and Stanford will make mistakes, but at least they are awesome athletes and will make plays. 

Tyrod played terrible in that Jacksonville game, but I still think we ultimately lost because Humber and Preston were our linebackers and they were too darn slow to get to a scrambling Bortles. (Milano was hurt for that one). I don't want to see Humber anywhere outside of special teams. 

2 hours ago, dabills21 said:

My apologies.  Carolina officially lists Davis as their will and Shaq Thompson at their Sam.  For the record, Davis has played both Sam and will during his career.

My original point is not to get caught up in the Sam vs will position listing, but rather that Davis is a much more explosive and physical player than Milano. 

Milanos strength and physicality was his big weakness last season.  He overcomes some of that with instincts and his short area burst.  But once linemen engage with him, he was usually overmatched.  Not to say he can't improve on that,  hopefully, with an NFL off-season program, he can further hone in and develop in those areas.

I wouldn't be shocked, if he and Humber rotate again this season.  Milano is certainly the sub package, nickle backer, but I don't think he has graduated to 3 down territory yet.  we will see

Sorry, I didn't mean to call you out.  Just trying to say that Davis also plays WLB (at least for the last 3 seasons, I can't find gamebooks for previous years).

Kuechly: 6'3", 242 lb, 4.58 forty

Edmunds: 6'5", 253 lb, 4.54 forty

Davis: 6'1", 230 lb, 4.65 forty

Milano: 6', 223 lb, 4.67 forty

Just from a measurable standpoint, Edmunds is bigger and faster than Kuechly - which is pretty insane - and Milano is a little smaller and slower than Davis. These numbers are from their draft profiles though, so probably not spot on now. 

4 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Kuechly: 6'3", 242 lb, 4.58 forty

Edmunds: 6'5", 253 lb, 4.54 forty

Davis: 6'1", 230 lb, 4.65 forty

Milano: 6', 223 lb, 4.67 forty

Just from a measurable standpoint, Edmunds is bigger and faster than Kuechly - which is pretty insane - and Milano is a little smaller and slower than Davis. These numbers are from their draft profiles though, so probably not spot on now. 

Milano runs 4.5, was hurt at the combine when he ran the 4.67.   I posted about that above.  You can Google it.  I wonder if McDermott knew this?  I bet he did.

They are our Kuechly and Davis for 2018.  I loved what I saw from Milano last year and I really to see him improve on it.  We’ll know after the season if they are our future.  I have no doubts about Edmunds, but I could also see him playing WLB or SAM.  If the right guy is available next year, I could see Edmunds paired with a true MLB.  Hopefully he can be the voice of the defense and make the right reads, but I don’t think he has much experience doing it just yet.  Hoping that comes naturally to him being raised by a pro bowler.

32 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Thomas Davis is/was an amazing player and person. Looking pass the fact

Milano plays a different position that Davis

, we can hope he is thought of the same way in 15 years from now. 

What position does each player play? 

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

What position does each player play? 

I see from the thread you feel they are interchangeable. I personally don’t see Milano playing the same type of backer as Davis. You are right he will be listed as the same but they seem very different . Time will tell if Milano can play the same spot at the same level. Did Milano play that spot because it was a need or his natural fit? Davis seems to be a much more physical linebacker than Milano.

31 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I see from the thread you feel they are interchangeable. I personally don’t see Milano playing the same type of backer as Davis. You are right he will be listed as the same but they seem very different . Time will tell if Milano can play the same spot at the same level. Did Milano play that spot because it was a need or his natural fit? Davis seems to be a much more physical linebacker than Milano.

They both play the same position.  Whether Milano ends up playing as well as Thomas remains to be seen, but it's a high bar.  And typically, a smaller LB, like Davis and Milano, is put on the weak side, away from the TE. 

Until the season actually starts, this kind of speculation is nothing more than a hot take. We have enough fake news to contend with as it is. Why do we keep doing this ourselves? We could end up with a rookie of the year middle LB. But until the season actually starts, no one knows. Speculate all you want. Making pronouncements though is a bit premature.

On 5/5/2018 at 1:45 PM, H2o said:

Milano really impressed me last year in our defense. He was all over the field making plays. As a rookie he had taken over a starting spot by December. He was solid in coverage and played the run well also. I expect another step forward this year as he becomes more acclimated with his responsibility within our defense and gets his run with the 1st team from the start. He is our play making OLB on defense who seems to be in on a lot of key stops or TO's ala Davis in Carolina. 

Preston Brown departs via FA and in steps the #16 overall pick Tremaine Edmunds. The athleticism is undeniable and it dwarfs Brown in every way. Edmunds is going to be the sideline to sideline QB of this defense for years to come. His coverage ability, closing burst, and instincts at barely 20 years old is really amazing if you have watched him play. McDermott will have this young man watching film of Luke, studying his place, his reads, and his responsibilities from now until September. 

I truly believe McDermott now feels he has the two guys who will anchor his LB unit. Most of his and today's defenses operate with only two LB's on the field anyway. These two guys are our Kuechly and Davis.  

Personally, I think Milano looks more like Keuchly and Edmunds looks more like Davis.

• Haha (+1) 1