Oline and WRs

Pete

On 4/29/2018 at 5:26 PM, Wayne Cubed said:

Yea and I guess he(Teller) had a bit of a falling out with the staff. The guy is a beast. 

He had some issues with penalties and needed to adjust how he played.

http://www.fauquier.com/sports/bills-make-wyatt-teller-fauquier-county-s-st-player-in/article_0c11e354-4c5b-11e8-8f38-4b5c015df3dc.html

Many scouting reports also criticized his effort and aggression as a redshirt senior relative to his performance in 2016. But Teller said he needed to better regulate his aggression this past season after drawing too many penalties as a redshirt junior.

“Every ref would refer to me as ‘Hugs’ because I’d take kids and hip toss them to the ground,” Teller said. “Yeah, it looks impressive, but it’s not helping the team [if there’s also a penalty]. And every ref is looking at me … to see if I jump out and toss a kid.”

It took him about half of the 2017 season to find a good balance of aggression and restraint, after many scouts had already made assessments for their reports, he said.

“By the second half of the season, to me, it’s the same kid as in 2016,” Teller said of himself. “The same aggression.”

The term "redshirt senior" confuses me as well as "hip toss".

Edited by Limeaid
Added link

24 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

Yes no or maybe at 10 to 12 million over 2 years?

I honestly think he should come much cheaper. He was huge bust but looked pretty good at guard this year. He is coming off a season ending injury. So coming off injury, inconsistent career....I don't think he can expect 5-6 million a year, especially at this point in the offseason. 

One other guy who makes some sense is Alex Boone, who has been mentioned a few times in here. Now that we don't have a midget quarterback, I wouldn't mind bringing in a 6-8 guard. I prefer the youth and upside of Joeckel though. 

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

The GM is not denying there are still needs.  He won't fill them with anything but 1-year deals unless someone comes to market in a need position that has a future.  That would be rare -- but the Bills are in a position to back-end load a contract.  I think the end of next week will bring some vets to market to add to the ones already there in positions of need.

In fact, didn’t he come right out and say something like: we’re not as good as it looks, and we have a long way to go? 

31 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I honestly think he should come much cheaper. He was huge bust but looked pretty good at guard this year. He is coming off a season ending injury. So coming off injury, inconsistent career....I don't think he can expect 5-6 million a year, especially at this point in the offseason. 

One other guy who makes some sense is Alex Boone, who has been mentioned a few times in here. Now that we don't have a midget quarterback, I wouldn't mind bringing in a 6-8 guard. I prefer the youth and upside of Joeckel though. 

What price and term in your opinion?  And would you like the signing?

I dont thinl either group is as dire as some make them out to be.  Wr can use a guy with who can get deep.  I expect this to happen after some more guys are cut or before camp.  

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

My guess is Richie returns.  The dude loves football and he does not want to miss out playing with the up and coming Bills.  Richie was due $7.9 million I believe, but restructured.   He then fired his agent.  As is, Richie has zero leverage.  And he is costing himself millions this year by retiring.  Next year he is a free agent, he could set himself up for one last big payday if he plays well this year.  Richie likes money.  If Richie does return- Dawkins-Richie-Groy-Vlad-Mills is a returning line somewhat.  Not world beaters, but hopefully sufficient.  Miller-Bodine-McDermott-Newhouse-Teller-Redmond is great depth and could contend for starting.  This will be interesting camp battle.  And we will see who else is added to mix

This wouldn’t surprise me at all! So he fired his agent? Did he hire a new one? Sounds like he was surprised he’d have to repay a portion of his signing bonus. Did no one mention that to him before retiring? Is that correct? Not making more money is hard. Giving up what you already have should be even harder! 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SoTier said:

It's highly unlikely that either the OL or the WRs "will be fine" despite all the whistling past the graveyard.

The Bills have a decent LT, a journeyman RT, and a black hole in the interior of the OL.  They are depending upon a backup and a rookie to replace a solid OC.  They are hoping that 1 of the 2 RGs who struggled last season can step up and play better.  AFAIK, they have only a name penciled in at LG to replace a Pro Bowl LG.  This is easily the worst pre-season OL the Bills have had since 2009.  They're depending upon backups to replace good starters, and didn't add any depth.

The WR unit stunk last season with 1 NFL-caliber WR (Benjamin) on the roster, and he only arrived in mid-season, and was hurt for much of his time with the Bills.   Jones was a bust, and will have to have a major turn around to even merit a starting spot on this poor unit.  All the others are STers or street FAs.  What have the Bills done to improve their WRs?   Nothing.  AJ McCarron isn't Tom Brady who can make useful WRs out of rookies and street FAs, and if Josh Allen has the misfortune to see the field (which seems likely because of the crappy OL), he's likely doomed.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm really afraid that the Bills are going to struggle to score on offense even more than they did last year, which doesn't bode well for them winning many games. 

I think we all just need to accept that we are going to take a step backwards this year.  We are right in the middle of a rebuild despite our recent playoff cameo.   McBeane fortified the defense and grabbed their qb this year.  I think next year they will focus on the offense in free agency and the draft.  The following year, the 2020 season, year 3 of the Beane Era, hopefully we will be a team ready to compete consistently.  Hopefully that will be the same year that Tom Terrific hangs up the cleats.  

This team has some holes on it's roster this year, no doubt about it.  I hate to think about two more seasons of 7-9 football in Buffalo, but if that's what it takes to build a winning foundation for this franchise for the next decade, I think it will be worth it.  It's been twenty years since we had a good team.  I can wait two more.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

In fact, didn’t he come right out and say something like: we’re not as good as it looks, and we have a long way to go? 

Both he and the coach said this IIRC...but I am old...I could have been running to the bathroom when I heard this and misinterpreted...

2 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Both he and the coach said this IIRC...but I am old...I could have been running to the bathroom when I heard this and misinterpreted...

I find running to the bathroom is about half the exercise I get in any one day. 

11 hours ago, SoTier said:

It's highly unlikely that either the OL or the WRs "will be fine" despite all the whistling past the graveyard.

The Bills have a decent LT, a journeyman RT, and a black hole in the interior of the OL.  They are depending upon a backup and a rookie to replace a solid OC.  They are hoping that 1 of the 2 RGs who struggled last season can step up and play better.  AFAIK, they have only a name penciled in at LG to replace a Pro Bowl LG.  This is easily the worst pre-season OL the Bills have had since 2009.  They're depending upon backups to replace good starters, and didn't add any depth.

The WR unit stunk last season with 1 NFL-caliber WR (Benjamin) on the roster, and he only arrived in mid-season, and was hurt for much of his time with the Bills.   Jones was a bust, and will have to have a major turn around to even merit a starting spot on this poor unit.  All the others are STers or street FAs.  What have the Bills done to improve their WRs?   Nothing.  AJ McCarron isn't Tom Brady who can make useful WRs out of rookies and street FAs, and if Josh Allen has the misfortune to see the field (which seems likely because of the crappy OL), he's likely doomed.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm really afraid that the Bills are going to struggle to score on offense even more than they did last year, which doesn't bode well for them winning many games. 

They didn't have a lot of cap space and there really wasn't a very good offensive line FA or draft class.  Two players retired somewhat out of the blue.  There weren't many options available so some journeyman will be playing this year.  We will address it next year.  We fixed most of the front 7 and drafted our franchise QB and got depth in the secondary.  That is a ton for one offseason.  Can't get everything in one offseason, it just doesn't work that way.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, Pete said:

Right now our defense is looking really nice. Allen/McCarron is the best depth chart in decades.  And Shady is Shady.  I like the Ray Ray pick and think he will be a factor at WR and most definitely as a returner.  But Benjamin-Zay-Ray Ray-Kerley is lacking a true #1.  Dion-Miller-Groy-Vlad-Mills is scary though.  My guess is we add a oline starter after roster cut downs and post June 1.  What is the plan at oline and WR?  Who starts?

There is some depth on this team now.  And we got a lot younger.  The future is bright for the Bills.  The Sabres winning the lottery just might be the confirmation that Buffalo is on the up and up!

I agree. Bills fans are delusional if they think you can replace an all-pro position with a fifth-round draft pick and expect everything to be fine. 

Mills should have been a backup last year with Dawkins at RT. Although Dawkins did well at left tackle he also had an all-pro left guard to help him out. Who knows if he will look even remotely as good as he did last year with a scrub next to him this year.

The Bills just lost all continuity on that line when they lost an above average center, left tackle and all-pro left guard. 

This new offensive line look might just be a QB killer/regime killer if it doesn't get drastically upgraded very quickly. It's like Buddy Nix is back and it's 2010 all over again...shoot, at least that team had Woods and Levitre in their 0-8 start. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Magnum Force said:

What price and term in your opinion?  And would you like the signing?

I would love the signing, but once you start getting into that 5 per million range you are getting closer to the Clint Bolings of the world. I just can't pay Joeckel that. I think he would have to take a 1 year deal at around 3-4 million, or prabaly something like 2 years 7 million with. He got paid 8 million last year based on his potential, now I think he has to prove it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/4/2018 at 8:05 PM, QB12 said:

@ 3rd & 15

Clay's capable of making some clutch catches. Same for Benjamin... hopefully these guys stay healthy.

how much time will they need to get down the field past the down markers ?
I thinks WR is not as important this year as getting the O line sorted and timed with AJ cadence etc

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Joeckel wasn't impressive at Tackle but his more to Guard seems to fit him better.

Dawkins - 11 Starts

Groy - 11 Starts (7 of them 2 years ago)

McDermott - 0 Starts

Teller - 0 Starts

Playing too many of these young guys together will be a problem.

Don't be surprised if the starting OL to begin the season is:

Dawkins

Groy

Bodine

Ducasse

Mills/Newhouse

The younger guys will get looks during the season.

Fair take. Hope Miller gets squared away though .
this is the most logical line up at this point as they implement Dabol's scheme.