Sony Michel’s knee “bone on bone”

Tore my meniscus in '84.  Very painful, couldn't bend the knee,  5--6 scopes later had total knee replaced in 2002.  Can't imagine any pro team taking a chance on that.   Can't imagine trying to play, at the pro level, with a bone on bone situation.  One hit, or one wrong fall, and he's toast.

9 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Tore my meniscus in '84.  Very painful, couldn't bend the knee,  5--6 scopes later had total knee replaced in 2002.  Can't imagine any pro team taking a chance on that.   Can't imagine trying to play, at the pro level, with a bone on bone situation.  One hit, or one wrong fall, and he's toast.

Flip side is on a 4 year 4m deal... if you get even 1 season out of him it’s good cash value and what’s the success rate of a day two pick? If he’s there late 2 early 3 I would rather take the risk on him potentially falling apart than a project coming together. Just manage expectations accordingly 

always feel bad for running backs. I know, only so bad for the kid getting multi millions here but jeeeze is it ever tough compared to their peers in the league at other spots. 

17 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

The medicine does not compare to the 80’s. My son was back on a basketball court 5 months after a torn ACL and MCL. That was about 8 years ago. Far from 100%, but competing. 

ZERO question, it can be a rough road ahead for him, but he moved like a flash of light just a few months ago. Get what you can out of that. If he’s willing to try, hope you get what he has to offer cheap, and ride the hell out of it. 

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Very bad news if true. I am suffering from the same issue and suffering is the word. 3 months ago I would play basketball twice weekly and flag football on a weekend. Now, I ride a bike and that's about all I have. It is impossible to run more than 10 feet without severe pain.

Same here, only it's my hip. Six months ago I was running and playing racquetball multiple times per week, now I can't do either.

Injections help. Knee (and hip) replacements also are good options if you want to get back to some activity. My mother is 77 and just had her knee replaced six weeks ago. She's been walking around pretty easily for a few weeks now. In a couple of months she'll be almost normal.

She won't be playing basketball or anything, but you can do a lot these days with joint replacements.

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Very bad news if true. I am suffering from the same issue and suffering is the word. 3 months ago I would play basketball twice weekly and flag football on a weekend. Now, I ride a bike and that's about all I have. It is impossible to run more than 10 feet without severe pain.

I'm in a similar situation at the age of 34. I don't know if I am officially bone on bone but I always have a small sensation of discomfit on the medial side of my knee throughout the day. At my last knee surgery the doctor only cleaned up the lateral side because he said there wasn't much more he could do to help the medial side.  Used to play a lot of pick up basketball. That stopped almost two years ago. Just started cycling a few months ago. Much more forgiving on the knees. So far, I can cycle hard and not have any issues during or after a ride. The frustrating thing about cycling though is that it's more time consuming then just going for a quick run. To get a really good workout cycling you have to go for an hour at minimum but often more like 2 hours at least.

Wasn't Myles Jack reported to have a similar issue before his draft? Dropped him to the second round I think.

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

The medicine does not compare to the 80’s. My son was back on a basketball court 5 months after a torn ACL and MCL. That was about 8 years ago. Far from 100%, but competing. 

ZERO question, it can be a rough road ahead for him, but he moved like a flash of light just a few months ago. Get what you can out of that. If he’s willing to try, hope you get what he has to offer cheap, and ride the hell out of it. 

Yup. If you can get 1 kamara-esque year out of him... day two pick and 4m total pay isn’t that scary... if you can get even just 2 of those, it’s an absolute steal. 

7 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Same here, only it's my hip. Six months ago I was running and playing racquetball multiple times per week, now I can't do either.

Injections help. Knee (and hip) replacements also are good options if you want to get back to some activity. My mother is 77 and just had her knee replaced six weeks ago. She's been walking around pretty easily for a few weeks now. In a couple of months she'll be almost normal.

She won't be playing basketball or anything, but you can do a lot these days with joint replacements.

You don’t know,  don’t sell her short! I’d be glad to go a little one on one hoops with your mom. First to seven, just to be reasonable. 

My mom is 90 and has had both hips done.  She has a few limitations, but she gets around great, all things considered. Both of my sisters have had a knee replaced, and they do pretty well with no complaints. The medical capabilities just get better and better. 

40 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I feel for all you guys, and wish you all the best. But I'm not sure knee replacements on 77 year olds, hip replacements on someone in their 40's, or MCL surgeries from the 80's have anything to do with treatment now. When we were teenagers my brother had some knee issues, I don't know it was bone on bone or a cartilage issue, but he never tore a ligament, but just could not run at all anymore. It was a problem, and it was bad. He got surgery at like 15 10 years ago and has had no problems since. Not trying to belittle your problems, or make my brothers comparable, but you guys are talking about 77 year olds, hips, total knee replacements in your 40's and it's just not the same thing at all in my limited opinion.

9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I feel for all you guys, and wish you all the best. But I'm not sure knee replacements on 77 year olds, hip replacements on someone in their 40's, or MCL surgeries from the 80's have anything to do with treatment now. When we were teenagers my brother had some knee issues, I don't know it was bone on bone or a cartilage issue, but he never tore a ligament, but just could not run at all anymore. It was a problem, and it was bad. He got surgery at like 15 10 years ago and has had no problems since. Not trying to belittle your problems, or make my brothers comparable, but you guys are talking about 77 year olds, hips, total knee replacements in your 40's and it's just not the same thing at all in my limited opinion.

Not the same as what? I don't follow.