4-13: Ian Wharton Talks NFL Draft on WGR

4-13: Ian Wharton Talks NFL Draft on WGR (23:16)

Another analyst with excellent insight.  Really likes Rosen as a potential franchise QB.  Loves Sam Darnold for how he performs off schedule and outside of the pocket. Also very much likes Lamar Jackson. 

https://twitter.com/NFLFilmStudy  is his twitter handle.

6 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

lamar Jackson may be awesome for a few years but I can't help but think at some point he will get injured .   

He's pretty hard to catch and plenty of QBs get hurt in the pocket.  Can't worry about that.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

4-13: Ian Wharton Talks NFL Draft on WGR (23:16)

Another analyst with excellent insight.  Really likes Rosen as a potential franchise QB.  Loves Sam Darnold for how he performs off schedule and outside of the pocket. Also very much likes Lamar Jackson. 

https://twitter.com/NFLFilmStudy  is his twitter handle.

This is one of the better qb discussions that I have listened to. He is very fair-minded and open-minded discussing the qbs. His comments about Allen were not scathing but were very cautionary. His very positive comments about Lamar caught me by surprise. After listening to him taking Lamar with the 12 pick and keeping the rest of the picks becomes more appealing.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

This is one of the better qb discussions that I have listened to. He is very fair-minded and open-minded discussing the qbs. His comments about Allen were not scathing but were very cautionary. His very positive comments about Lamar caught me by surprise. After listening to him taking Lamar with the 12 pick and keeping the rest of the picks becomes more appealing.  

He'd have to sit behind AJM for a season. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He'd have to sit behind AJM for a season. 

That's not an issue for me even if he had to sit out longer. I say the same about Allen. Even the qbs who are more ready to play will take more time to become proficient qbs. Developing players is not something I shy away from---in fact I embrace it. As the wrestling coach would say: It's part of the process. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

lamar Jackson may be awesome for a few years but I can't help but think at some point he will get injured .   

Lamar seems like a very tough dude to me. I watched a video where a defender grabbed his face mask in the bottom of a pile he went ballistic. The guy knows when and how to go down and he knows when to deliver a blow to the opponent. His nickname should be "Fierce", because that's how he plays. I think his body size seems like a nitpicky, overblown issue.

12 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

Lamar seems like a very tough dude to me. I watched a video where a defender grabbed his face mask in the bottom of a pile he went ballistic. The guy knows when and how to go down and he knows when to deliver a blow to the opponent. His nickname should be "Fierce", because that's how he plays. I think his body size seems like a nitpicky, overblown issue.

It's not as if he can't add weight over the next couple of seasons with him being so young. 

Rosen is so much better. This is seriously like how Aaron Rodgers fell. Everyone is like uhhh what that's the best QB in a long time what is going on. I love when people say trust the "experts" but the fact of the matter is that like any workplace it gets political, people talking a big game trying to justify their position in the pecking order, trying to do way too much. Just take the best freaking QB and stop with all of this other nonsense

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, kdiggz said:

Rosen is so much better. This is seriously like how Aaron Rodgers fell. Everyone is like uhhh what that's the best QB in a long time what is going on. I love when people say trust the "experts" but the fact of the matter is that like any workplace it gets political, people talking a big game trying to justify their position in the pecking order, trying to do way too much. Just take the best freaking QB and stop with all of this other nonsense

If only it were that simple. Unfortunately it isn't. 

29 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

I think the risk of running QB's getting hurt is certainly higher esp if you aren't built like a tank like Cam Newton. But I really like Jackson as a QB project. Lamar Jackson has Michael Vick levels of ability but unlike Vick, Jackson is a really coachable kid. Jackson has a good work ethic by all reports and a desire to be a great QB. Vick in Atlanta got by on his amazing athletic ability and did not work on his game or take to the coaching. Jackson can be coached up much better than Vick which to me makes his potential ability that much higher. 

If the Bills can't get a trade up for a top 4 QB I wouldn't mind Jackson as a plan B if he is there at pick 12. Sit Jackson for 2 years behind AJ, using picks 22, 53, 56, 65, and 96 they can fill a lot of needs particularly at O-line, WR, and LB and put good talent around AJ and round out the defense a bit. 

44 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I guess when trying to evaluate these quarterbacks I will listen to people who have spent hours,months or more studying them. Some posters speak so definitively about something they know relatively nothing about. Let's discuss it but why do you talk like you're an "expert"? You are as much as saying you can't try  trust the"experts" so trust me.

Just now, Radar said:

I guess when trying to evaluate these quarterbacks I will listen to people who have spent hours,months or more studying them. Some posters speak so definitively about something they know relatively nothing about. Let's discuss it but why do you talk like you're an "expert"? You are as much as saying you can't try  trust the"experts" so trust me.

Experts is in quotes because they are wrong as much if not more than fans, many of whom have playing experience and coaching experience themselves. People on NFL staffs start out as assistants getting coffee and cutting film. From there it's like any job where the smartest people aren't necessarily the ones promoted. It's the ones that talk a big game and get the ear of the right people. To think they know any more than some of us who study the game is laughable

5 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Experts is in quotes because they are wrong as much if not more than fans, many of whom have playing experience and coaching experience themselves. People on NFL staffs start out as assistants getting coffee and cutting film. From there it's like any job where the smartest people aren't necessarily the ones promoted. It's the ones that talk a big game and get the ear of the right people. To think they know any more than some of us who study the game is laughable

Your arrogance is what's laughable. Why if you're so much better don't you get their job. Send in your superior resume. I'm sure they'll line up to hire you. Frankly why don't you tell us your verifiable qualifications then I'll be more than willing to put as much weight on your opinion as the "experts".

7 minutes ago, Radar said:

Your arrogance is what's laughable. Why if you're so much better don't you get their job. Send in your superior resume. I'm sure they'll line up to hire you. Frankly why don't you tell us your verifiable qualifications then I'll be more than willing to put as much weight on your opinion as the "experts".

Funny. Long hours and the pay is crap until you get way up there in an organization. There are numerous people on this forum that have worked in professional sports. Believe it or not there are people here that know what they are talking about. If that's too unbelievable for you to handle then you can block my posts. Thanks

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

Funny. Long hours and the pay is crap until you get way up there in an organization. There are numerous people on this forum that have worked in professional sports. Believe it or not there are people here that know what they are talking about. If that's too unbelievable for you to handle then you can block my posts. Thanks

Just tell me your qualifications. Not some general statement about what people know.   Drunk fans call in sports talk shows all the time that want to tell us they know more than the coach. Opinion is one thing and giving an impression you know more is another. I believe I can handle whatever fans have to say as long as they don't definitively put themselves as knowing more than General managers,coaches,scouts etc.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's not as if he can't add weight over the next couple of seasons with him being so young. 

Ya know - 6'3 & 213 lbs is not skinny. 6'3 & 213 lbs is ripped. He would also be the fastest guy on our team. And, like you say, he can easily add 7 or 8 lbs. I would prefer a trade up but I would be very satisfied with Lamar at #12.