20 members have voted

1. 1. How much of a pussy is GarBear?

• A huge kitty
    • A giant kitty
    • A tremendous kitty

8 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Read about him, the man himself.

yeesh..........

it was part of my going through the whole Great Books list in 2 years....

i'm not hoping to go back to Herodotus, at least not before Hegel is revisited...

19 hours ago, thebug said:

what a bunch of !@#$ing losers! 

I get that you differ in opinion with lots of people in this thread, and that's OK.  

With that said, don't you believe it to be desirable for people who share your opinions to be intellectually honest in their public presentation?  I would hope so.

It is tremendously harmful to an argument when it's presenter is caught being dishonest in it's presentation.  Even if the argument is you're making is correct, adding elements of dishonesty to it do it harm, and make it less persuasive.

No one should celebrate dishonesty and intellectual cowardice.  It downgrades the entire conversation.

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I get that you differ in opinion with lots of people in this thread, and that's OK.  

With that said, don't you believe it to be desirable for people who share your opinions to be intellectually honest in their public presentation?  I would hope so.

It is tremendously harmful to an argument when it's presenter is caught being dishonest in it's presentation.  Even if the argument is you're making is correct, adding elements of dishonesty to it do it harm, and make it less persuasive.

No one should celebrate dishonesty and intellectual cowardice.  It downgrades the entire conversation.

Threads like these downgrade the entire conversation. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thebug said:

Threads like these downgrade the entire conversation. 

This thread is a parody mocking intellectual dishonesty.

Go to the root of the issue.

Gary created a poll thread forwarding a logical fallacy as a talking point designed to be derogatory in nature.  He decided, when called out for this, to delete the thread because he didn't want his intellectual dishonesty discussed, to delete the thread and to recreate it disabling comments.

His poor behavior created the situation.  Don't paper over that because you generally agree with his view point.  It does a great deal of intellectual harm to your position, and makes further conversation impossible.

34 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

This thread is a parody mocking intellectual dishonesty.

Go to the root of the issue.

Gary created a poll thread forwarding a logical fallacy as a talking point designed to be derogatory in nature.  He decided, when called out for this, to delete the thread because he didn't want his intellectual dishonesty discussed, to delete the thread and to recreate it disabling comments.

His poor behavior created the situation.  Don't paper over that because you generally agree with his view point.  It does a great deal of intellectual harm to your position, and makes further conversation impossible.

So two wrongs.... 

11 minutes ago, thebug said:

So two wrongs.... 

If you don't want to get punched in the mouth don't throw the first punch, and don't cry when you get punched back.

Just now, thebug said:

Actually calling out bad behaviour. 

No, you aren't.  You're playing team sports, and supporting the person who started it.

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

If you don't want to get punched in the mouth don't throw the first punch, and don't cry when you get punched back.

No, you aren't.  You're playing team sports, and supporting the person who started it.

You mean like the cult here?