last years Chiefs Trade

9 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

The first link at the bottom of my post is a good summary....in the preseason....(YES, I know..PRESESAON)  ...I'm not looking at the stat line...watch the arm talent...the poise...watch his head...he does NOT stare down targets...he is very good at scanning and moving safeties with his eyes.  ....the other thing...he can move pretty well, but Mahomes is NOT a running QB...he is not Vick, not Lamar Jackson...hell, Alex Smith is much more athletic runner than Mahomes.......so, to sum it up...he has good pocket presence..doesn't lock on to a target...and the arm talent is incredible.  ....so not just that he can throw it far....but if he has to move left or right..your play isn't broken....he can accurately throw a football from anywhere on a field while on the move...to any target on the field.  All the coaches say he eats and breaths football and is a remarkable young man.  (sure, they say that about everyone, but you can see it when he talks, etc)  .....I've seen plenty of so so QB's...Grbac, Cassel, Bono, DeBerg...Trent Green....Green and DeBerg had enough brains, but not the physical talent.  Grbac had a pretty good arm, but was a poor leader.  Bono...and others like him...they were just there.....I'm very very excited.  

BillsFan4....my post wasn't intended to be critical of what you had posted.....just more or less agreeing that those rankings are a guideline.  I don't agree with your assement of Mahomes...but I completely understand your stance, and that it would be very hard to make a call on the small sample size of Mahomes in the NFL so far....I have no problem with anyone who needs to see more before they change their mind about him.  Totally fair.

And he makes careless throws, has terrible footwork and has a habit where he runs around and heaves it up.

NFL teams won’t allow that to happen.

Talent and Arm strength aside (arm talent isn’t a thing) the guy is in for a short career if he continues to play like he plays.

Mahomes. Lol.

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Yav, do you really think they will be looking for a QB again soon?  Trading away a good QB like Smith with a year left on his contract at a reasonable 20 million....that doesn't signal they beleive they have the QB....if they weren't sure, or thought he wasn't ready....you know, they could have kept the well established good QB they already had the last 5 years on the roster........that doesn't tell you anything?  It's not even an opinion...just read the tea leaves guy.  

Look Alex Smith is a nice QB that has similar problems that Taylor has. He doesn't like to throw a WR open and he seems to have issues throwing over the middle. He's also capable of getting a team to the playoffs only to loose in the first round. KC didn't have an option but to move on from Smith. I personally think Mahomes was a reach in the first round last year and not worth the trade up to get. 

Living in KC and hearing the fans and crying for Mahomes just forced their hand and that right there tells me more about whats going on with the Chefs and their FO more than their belief in Mahomes. 

16 minutes ago, Yav said:

Look Alex Smith is a nice QB that has similar problems that Taylor has. He doesn't like to throw a WR open and he seems to have issues throwing over the middle. He's also capable of getting a team to the playoffs only to loose in the first round. KC didn't have an option but to move on from Smith.

Alex Smith was not the problem for the Chiefs last year. In that playoff game he actually outperformed Mariota (24/33 264 yards 2 TD 0 INT, vs 19/31 205 yards 2 TD 1 INT). The difference in that game was their rush offenses. The Titans had 202 rushing yards and 9 1st downs on runs; the Chiefs only had 69 rushing yards and 3 1st downs on runs. All else being equal if you traded Mariota for Smith the Titans still would have won and likely by more than 1 point. So Alex Smith can take a team further than the first round but like 90% of starting QBs he needs his team to do their part too.

The scary thing for the Chiefs is they don't know if Mahomes will even be as good as Smith was. For this move to work they actually need him to be better but there is zero evidence that he will be. Smith was statistically the best deep passer in the NFL last year and I don't see how Mahomes will be an improvement on that.

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Alex Smith was not the problem for the Chiefs last year. In that playoff game he actually outperformed Mariota (24/33 264 yards 2 TD 0 INT, vs 19/31 205 yards 2 TD 1 INT). The difference in that game was their rush offenses. The Titans had 202 rushing yards and 9 1st downs on runs; the Chiefs only had 69 rushing yards and 3 1st downs on runs. All else being equal if you traded Mariota for Smith the Titans still would have won and likely by more than 1 point. So Alex Smith can take a team further than the first round but like 90% of starting QBs he needs his team to do their part too.

The scary thing for the Chiefs is they don't know if Mahomes will even be as good as Smith was. For this move to work they actually need him to be better but there is zero evidence that he will be. Smith was statistically the best deep passer in the NFL last year and I don't see how Mahomes will be an improvement on that.

Andy Reed is their problem. He is pass happy.

Smith is what he is and the reason the 49ers traded him to KC to begin with and now the reason KC traded him to Washington. Don't get me wrong, Smith is a capable QB but not a long term solution. I don't think Mahome is going to be an upgrade.

You guys are looking at Alex Smith using box score analysis.  His stat lines are often very good.  The box score doesn’t show the clean pockets he runs out of, the wide open receivers he misses or won’t throw to, drives he kills by being too safe.  Even the playoff loss.  They didn’t pass to much.  

Also, moving on from Alex to Mahomes isn’t because they have “Zero Evidence”. It’s exactly the opposite.  They saw enough to be comfortable with trading away a proven veteran under contract.  

Last.  YES.  The expectations are that Mahomes will be as good or better than Smith and he will be.  

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:29 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Either the answer is no, or Doug Whaley is incompetent. We only got one future 1st rd pick and a 2017 3rd  in return for moving from a top 10 pick to 27. Brutal return compared to this year. 

It's unfair to compare year to year because the circumstances are different. It just seems this year there are more teams competing for qbs. Also, there is a good possibility that Whaley didn't have the authority to make the draft day decision. There was much talk that McDermott was calling the shots at that time. A major factor pushing up the cost this year is that the highly rated qbs are expected to go very early. What is apparent to me is that both KC and Houston are happy that they acted with urgency last year to get their respective qbs. Would Buffalo have been better off if they drafted either Mahomes or Watson with their first pick instead of putting off the decision for the next year? That answer will be better answered depending who we end up drafting and at what cost. It's not an easy question to answer, at least right now. 

On 4/12/2018 at 11:24 AM, dbflaBill said:

A topic I havent seen talked about much. Is Mahomes a better prospect than what the Bills could possibly get this year? If so any trade up can/would look really foolish. 

....people mock the bold, but I don’t care, I think Mahomes will be a Hall of Famer, so yeah, the process !@#$ed up big. 

• Thank you (+1) 1