WOW is our OL ever in shambles

Bakin

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think it's easy to forget about context. Glenn's injury was more serious than it was projected to be as camp went underway. But going into the draft they expected Glenn to be the LT and spent that 2nd round pick to fill the hole at RT, they went into the season with an O-line that you could say was a good unit, things fell apart but they had 4 starting caliber players (Glenn-InCog-Wood-Miller) and drafted a tackle in round 2 to fill the hole at RT. They also signed Ducasse, resigned Groy and resigned Mills for depth. Even this offseason they signed Bodine and Newhouse as depth despite limited cap space. 

The WR situation is dire, even before Zay Jones had his off the field. Kelvin Benjamin is a low end WR1 or a high end WR2. Zay might be a solid slot receiver but I wouldn't count on him much. Holmes doesn't impress me much, at best he is a mid level WR4 or a high end WR5. I can't think of any pro-caliber WR's on the roster. If you want to tell me that the administration doesn't put resources into WR then I am onboard but I think they have been pretty solid as far as the O-line. 

Due to your very respectful presentation and sound logic, i will  be forced to defer to you.
Not that i am convinced you are full correct, but your work is a fine effort to draw me in to your thinking. Thanks for the solid opinion.

Very well received over here 89 B-)

As i did mention, the O line has been a long time thorn in my paw and i might well be stodgy in moving off my emotional platform.
Big Fan of Daboll

not hardly a fan of Castillo ( yet)

We can catch up as the season goes. Always/ often/ sometimes willing to attempt open minded thinking processes :D

26 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Yes we're all going to fall on are samurai swords. Jesus H  come on.  the legend of Eric Wood is average at best, Richie was a top-notch run blocker but very average pass-blocker with many important penalties. Ducasse came on at the end of the season last year finally. Dawkins surpassed expectations.  I'm sure the Pats would like McDermott back right now for a tackle. If Mills doesn't look good then Newhouse gets a shot, If Bodine struggles you put Groy or a rookie in.

I am not sure if you were thinking last years run and pass blocking was acceptable ?
And if you write the word Tyrod or QB anywhere in your answer ? well lets just see shall we..
 Richie was pro bowl worthy.

Glenn was a hot mess of lower leg injury.

Eric Wood was serviceable or better.
Ducasse ..was beating out Miller to start. and somehow held the position regardless. and BTW we did have Groy if Miller was a dnkd up or something.
Mills , Jordan .....and then we Have J Mills. We drafted D.Dawkins to play RT and Cordy goes bum.

I do like your positive attitude Good Sir !

55 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Will this be the year Buffalo surpasses Seattle in the most suicides in 1 year?

we should start a poll.

I like those.

Yes

No

Maybe

All the Above

and we could bet the over under as well

2 hours ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Dawkins

Groy

Bodine

DuCasse

Mills

Miller

McDermott

Newhouse

Draft Swing G/C

My thoughts on this is, who is the backup LT?

Mills is purely RT and if Newhouse is the LT backup I got to say yuck.

I would like to see Beane draft a RT/LT.

I almost think that is more pressing than the G/C (though both is better).

If not I really hope McDermott can fit that role well.

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Due to your very respectful presentation and sound logic, i will  be forced to defer to you.
Not that i am convinced you are full correct, but your work is a fine effort to draw me in to your thinking. Thanks for the solid opinion.

Very well received over here 89 B-)

As i did mention, the O line has been a long time thorn in my paw and i might well be stodgy in moving off my emotional platform.
Big Fan of Daboll

not hardly a fan of Castillo ( yet)

We can catch up as the season goes. Always/ often/ sometimes willing to attempt open minded thinking processes :D

The Bills O-line from 2015-2016 was a pretty good unit, a dominating run blocking unit and an average pass blocking unit. Injecting InCog a damn good left guard inbetween Glenn a (who was a stud from 2015-2016) and Wood (An above average center, and even in the 7 games Wood was hurt last season he was replaced by Groy who played well) made the difference to turn the O-line in a good unit (Miller being solid at RG helped too.) Going into 2017 the only big issue with the O-line was RT and they drafted a tackle in round 2 not to mention there was attention to detail paid with depth not letting Groy and Mills go. 

When your best player in a unit gets hurt and another player you were counting on to be a starter (Milller) struggled in a new scheme there is going to be a regression that you can only do so much to prevent. I think that you can expect to see at least one significant draft pick at RT or LG if not two. 

My ideal scenario is that the Bills trade 12, 22, a late round pick and a 2nd in 2019 to trade up to 4 and get Baker Mayfield or Rosen (I am hoping Allen goes ahead of one of those other two.) I think that still gives the team picks 53, 56, 65, and 96 to address some other needs. They could easily get their QB of choice and draft a LG, WR, LB, and RT with those picks and realistically get 2 impact starters. 

14 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills O-line from 2015-2016 was a pretty good unit, a dominating run blocking unit and an average pass blocking unit. Injecting InCog a damn good left guard inbetween Glenn a (who was a stud from 2015-2016) and Wood (An above average center, and even in the 7 games Wood was hurt last season he was replaced by Groy who played well) made the difference to turn the O-line in a good unit (Miller being solid at RG helped too.) Going into 2017 the only big issue with the O-line was RT and they drafted a tackle in round 2 not to mention there was attention to detail paid with depth not letting Groy and Mills go. 

When your best player in a unit gets hurt and another player you were counting on to be a starter (Milller) struggled in a new scheme there is going to be a regression that you can only do so much to prevent. I think that you can expect to see at least one significant draft pick at RT or LG if not two. 

My ideal scenario is that the Bills trade 12, 22, a late round pick and a 2nd in 2019 to trade up to 4 and get Baker Mayfield or Rosen (I am hoping Allen goes ahead of one of those other two.) I think that still gives the team picks 53, 56, 65, and 96 to address some other needs. They could easily get their QB of choice and draft a LG, WR, LB, and RT with those picks and realistically get 2 impact starters. 

Another good post. Thanks for your attention to the details over the last couple years in regard to The O line I have disparaged.

Everything you say is true.

Groy did play very well.

Not sure what happened to Miller. Thought they would have kept focused upon him as being the starter. When Vald was brought in i was hoping it was solely to teach The Castillo Way . Mills could have been upgraded via FA last season.

I guess that is my last B word as you have turned my head around and straightened me out a bit.

Your last paragraph is certainly one ai can aline with.

Gosh i hope someone wants Allen  

:D

On 4/12/2018 at 11:41 AM, ColoradoBills said:

NFL Network replayed the Bengals/Raven New Years Eve game yesterday and I recorded it.

I watched every Bengal offensive play to see what Bodine looks like.  I jotted down some observations and

was going to post what I saw when I thought that I would look to see what Bodine's draft profile looked like.

When I read his "draft profile" I thru away my notes because what I read said it better than anything I could have ever said.

Both the strengths and weaknesses say everything I saw.  Bodine isn't a "tire fire" and I see why the Bengals had him

start for all that time.  At the same time I see why they got rid of him.

Overview

Last name is pronounced "BO-dine." Prepped at Fork Union (Va.) Military Academy, where his father is a teacher. Redshirted in 2010. Was a backup in '11 -- played nine games, including two starts as an injury replacement. Started all 25 games 2012-13.

Analysis

Strengths

Carries a load in his punch and plays with vinegar. Can seal and turn defenders in the run game to create small creases. Plays with a mean streak and likes to finish blocks. Is aggressive working up to the second level and efficient cutting linebackers. Rugged competitor. Stout anchor in pass protection. Versatile and has seen action at center and guard. Excellent weight-room strength -- bench-pressed 225 pounds 42 times to lead all participants at the combine.

One thing I noticed is this was not true.  3 times the play was still going and he stopped blocking and dropped his hands.

Weaknesses

Stiff-bodied. Plays short-armed and overextends. Average agility. Is late to switch off blocks. Relies too much on his upper-body strength. Mechanics deteriorate the farther he is asked to travel. Slow to adjust to counter moves. Produced the slowest 3-cone time (8.29 seconds) of any offensive lineman at the combine.

He is pretty slow.

Draft Projection

Rounds 3-4

Bottom Line

A top-heavy, barrel-chested, thick-bodied, short-area blocker, Bodine plays with a gritty football demeanor. Swing-interior versatility adds to his value.

-Nolan Nawrocki

My final observation was he is OK both in the run and passing game right at the Center position.  Once he moves more than a couple steps from there

he is pretty bad.  If this is typical of his game, he is not better than Wood and I can only hope he is a 1 year "filler" until we get someone better.

FWIW.

Some outlet ranked him below replacement level starter; I seem to recall somewhere that he was like the 29th ranked center. 

I have heard that Bengals fans were about as supportive of him as we are of Mills and glad to see him go.

Overall, based on the Ravens game it sounds like you'd agree; he would be great depth, but definitely a sub-optimal outcome as a starter. Fair?

11 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Some outlet ranked him below replacement level starter; I seem to recall somewhere that he was like the 29th ranked center. 

I have heard that Bengals fans were about as supportive of him as we are of Mills and glad to see him go.

Overall, based on the Ravens game it sounds like you'd agree; he would be great depth, but definitely a sub-optimal outcome as a starter. Fair?

Agree.  Of course it's one game.  Bodine seems fine when he has a guy in front of him, not so good side to side.  I know a lot of posters are looking for Groy

to maybe take the Center slot but now that Ritchie is gone (or is he) Bodine seems the logical choice.  How good is he calling blocking adjustments, I don't knows.

He spent all his time in Cincy so maybe a new coaching system can help his game.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

My thoughts on this is, who is the backup LT?

Mills is purely RT and if Newhouse is the LT backup I got to say yuck.

I would like to see Beane draft a RT/LT.

I almost think that is more pressing than the G/C (though both is better).

If not I really hope McDermott can fit that role well.

I wonder if they can grab Orlando Brown if he slips into Day 3... I feel badly for that kid.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Agree.  Of course it's one game.  Bodine seems fine when he has a guy in front of him, not so good side to side.  I know a lot of posters are looking for Groy

to maybe take the Center slot but now that Ritchie is gone (or is he) Bodine seems the logical choice.  How good is he calling blocking adjustments, I don't knows.

He spent all his time in Cincy so maybe a new coaching system can help his game.

Bear..Richie looks to be back and I'll tell ya..I have a old military bud who's a Bengal fan...I wish he had something good to say about Bodine.Peace.

O-line is where big money is spent. IF we aren't in a position to draft one of Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold then i wouldn't be upset to see us go o-line in the 1st. 

If all the QB's are gone that means a really good player has dropped. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

I wonder if they can grab Orlando Brown if he slips into Day 3... I feel badly for that kid.

Yeah, I guess he had a bad combine.  I'm not a big college fan so I really can't say who Beane should be looking at.

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Bear..Richie looks to be back and I'll tell ya..I have a old military bud who's a Bengal fan...I wish he had something good to say about Bodine.Peace.

I got a good friend who is a Raider fan that said the same thing about Newhouse.  I'm just going to hope Castillo can put together a serviceable line

because I hate watching an offense without one.  It also will be hard to get a good idea about Dabol's system.

The line is fine if Dawkins, Groy, and Miller can start and play well. I've seen all 3 start and play well in the past. I'm not worried. Would be nice to add to it though. 

OL play is so much about fit and scheme. Just look at the Raiders OL. Great under 1 scheme, terrible under another.