Do New Browns have worst 1st round run

For a team that has picked at the top twice, and 3rd once since their rebirth, the Browns may just be setting records for draft futility. Here's the new Browns 1st rounders since they came back:

1999-Tim Couch (1st player overall in draft) -cut & out of NFL

2000-Courtney Brown (1st overall) -to be cut next week.

2001-Gerard Warren-(3rd overall)-traded for 2005 4th rounder

2002-William Green-on the trading block

2003-Jeff Faine-on the trading block

2004-Kellen Winslow Jr-injured early in rookie year-no factor yet.

Instead they could have picked:

1999-Donovan McNabb or Daunte Culpepper (McNabb was #2, I would have picked Culpepper at #1)

2000-Lavar Arrington

2001-Ladainian Tomlinson or Richard Seymour

2002-Ed Reed

2003-WILLIS MCGAHEE

2004-Ben Roethlisberger (If they had taken the right QB in 1999, then-Roy Williams, Jonathan Vilma or Lee Evans)

Next time you want to get on TD, just look at Cleveland. Since TD got here his 1st rounders are Clements, Williams, McGahee, Evans & Losman. All are starters.

I'll be interested to see a guy I thought they might look to take last year, Shawn Andrews, to see how he recovered from his season-ending injury he suffered in training camp. Before the injury, he was a monster! I still vividly remember when the Iggles (team that drafted him) played the Titans in the preseason and Andrews simply dominated the Titans' D-line. If he can come back anywhere near that level, Philly will have one heck of an OL, one that the Browns could've taken.

For a team that has picked at the top twice, and 3rd once since their rebirth, the Browns may just be setting records for draft futility.  Here's the new Browns 1st rounders since they came back:

1999-Donovan McNabb or Daunte Culpepper (McNabb was #2, I would have picked Culpepper at #1)

2000-Lavar Arrington

2002-Ed Reed

2003-WILLIS MCGAHEE

2004-Ben Roethlisberger (If they had taken the right QB in 1999, then-Roy Williams, Jonathan Vilma or Lee Evans)

Next time you want to get on TD, just look at Cleveland.  Since TD got here his 1st rounders are Clements, Williams, McGahee, Evans & Losman.  All are starters.

272485[/snapback]

these pretzels are making me thirsty....

For a team that has picked at the top twice, and 3rd once since their rebirth, the Browns may just be setting records for draft futility.  Here's the new Browns 1st rounders since they came back:

2000-Lavar Arrington

2002-Ed Reed

2003-WILLIS MCGAHEE

Next time you want to get on TD, just look at Cleveland.  Since TD got here his 1st rounders are Clements, Williams, McGahee, Evans & Losman.  All are starters.

272485[/snapback]

I like that name, the "New Browns", kinda' like "New Coke".

See Buffalo Bills 1970-84.

272486[/snapback]

We had a few good ones over that period, but we definitely bombed on:

1970: Al Cowlings

1972 : Walt Patulski (Once referred to as the worst # 1 pick in NFL post merger history)

1974: Reuben Gant

1975: Tom Ruud

1976: Mario Clark

1977: Phil Dokes -not only was he a bust, but he died at a very young age

1978 : Terry Miller -one good year & a cloud of dust

1981: Booker Moore

1982: Perry Tuttle-we even traded up for him to ace out the Eagles, who took the next available receiver, Mike Quick.

I haven't included the busts in years when we had multiple 1st round picks & one busted & one was ok

What about Tampa Bay's track record until about 1998! It seemed that had a top 5 pick every year.

Edit: I just noticed in researching T.B.s' draft history that the picked Bo Jackson in the first round in 1986! What the hell did they trade him for?!

Edited by slothrop

Take a look at the Cleveland drafts since they got their franchise back in 1999.  What a trainwreck from top to bottom.  I realize the draft is a crapshoot, but you have to hit the  jackpot occassionally.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/CLV

272513[/snapback]

But....but......but......but........they had Carmen Policy AND Dwight Clark running the team then. How could they fail?

We had a few good ones over that period, but we definitely bombed on:

1970: Al Cowlings

1972 : Walt Patulski (Once referred to as the worst # 1 pick in NFL post merger history)

1974: Reuben Gant

1975: Tom Ruud

1976: Mario Clark

1977: Phil Dokes -not only was he a bust, but he died at a very young age

1978 : Terry Miller -one good year & a cloud of dust

1981: Booker Moore

1982: Perry Tuttle-we even traded up for him to ace out the Eagles, who took the next available receiver, Mike Quick. 

I haven't included the busts in years when we had multiple 1st round picks & one busted & one was ok

272502[/snapback]

I had no idea JD Hill was a number 4 overall pick. WOW!

http://www.drafthistory.com/years/1971.html

Amazing. Looking at that list...Since 1990...

Only people I recognize of being good...

WR Kevin Johnson

WR Dennis Northcutt

CB Anthony Henry

RB Lee Suggs

Thats about it. Granted I dont know alot about some OL...but 4 names of people who are decent in 15 years....OUCH

A lot of people easily get pissed at Donahoe and Co., but we as Bills fan should consider ourselves lucky that we don't have the management Cleveland has...

Nate Clements

Travis Henry

Jonas Jennings

Aaron Schobel

Mike Williams (still questionable)

Chris Kelsay

Terrence McGee

Willis McGahee

Lee Evans

JP Losman (we'll see...)

Those 1st through 4th round picks collectively are better than the Browns top 10 picks over the last few years. Unquestionably.

Are the Browns going in the right direction with Crennel? Seems like a GW kind of hiring...

Browns | Crennel's Nephew Hired - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:32:00 -0800

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns have hired Carl Crennel II, the nephew of head coach Romeo Crennel, as the team's offensive quality-control coach. Crennel II comes to the Browns from West Virginia Tech University, where he spent the past two seasons as director of football operations/assistant football coach.

West Virginia Tech University?

I present to you the last 10 years of Kansas City Chiefs Drafts

1994- 25TH overall- rb Greg Hill(played from 94-99. 94-97 with the chiefs 98 with the rams 99 with the lions, career backup)

1995- 31st overall- Trezell Jenkins(who?)

1996- 28th overall- fs Jerome Woods( Crappy player, now will be batiling it out with greg wesley for playing time. Considering that when woods was picked milloy was picked 36th overall. in the 2nd rd they picked Reggie tongue, Brian Dawkins was picked just 3 spots later)

1997- Tony Gonzalez- 13th overall- Ok I'll give em this one

1998- Victor Riley T 27th overall

1999- John Tait- 14th overall. No longer with the team now with the chicago bears. Proved last year that he's not so good without all pro guard and future hof will shiedls next to him

2000- wr- Sylvester Morris- no longer with the team or in the nfl 21st overall

2001- no 1st or 2nd rd pick traded to the rams for 31 year old qb Trent Green. 3rd rd pick- eric downing dt the cuse 75th overall

2002- #6 overall Ryan Sims- really lazy player on a crappy defense.

2003- 27th overall- Larry Johnson(they had more pressing needs than to grab a rb who was #3 on the depth chart even last year, and didn't get to start till holmes went down and vermeil saw he can outperform blaylock)

2004- traded out of the 1st rd to grab junior siavii (you would think that on a defense as crappy as kc he would start, and well you'd be wrong)

In the last 10 years of 1st rd picks for the chiefs they have produced Tony Gonzalez and a 31 year old quaterback :blush:

What about Tampa Bay's track record until about 1998! It seemed that had a top 5 pick every year.

Edit: I just noticed in researching T.B.s' draft history that the picked Bo Jackson in the first round in 1986! What the hell did they trade him  for?!

272510[/snapback]

He refused to sign with the Bucs. Played baseball for a couple years,then signed with Oakland. The Bucs got nothing for him.

Are the Browns going in the right direction with Crennel?  Seems like a GW kind of hiring...

Browns | Crennel's Nephew Hired - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:32:00 -0800

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns have hired Carl Crennel II, the nephew of head coach Romeo Crennel, as the team's offensive quality-control coach. Crennel II comes to the Browns from West Virginia Tech University, where he spent the past two seasons as director of football operations/assistant football coach.

West Virginia Tech University?

272540[/snapback]

Quality control coach is like an intern. The first job for many coaches. Mularkey was quality control coach at Tampa under Wyche. Jon Gruden was Quality control coach in san Fransisco.

I'll be interested to see a guy I thought they might look to take last year, Shawn Andrews, to see how he recovered from his season-ending injury he suffered in training camp.  Before the injury, he was a monster!  I still vividly remember when the Iggles (team that drafted him) played the Titans in the preseason and Andrews simply dominated the Titans' D-line.  If he can come back anywhere near that level, Philly will have one heck of an OL, one that the Browns could've taken.

272491[/snapback]

That isn't saying much, the Titans D-line last year wasn't all that great. Kevin Carter hasn't been the same since leaving St Louis, Carlos Hall looks like a one year wonder and the aside from Albert Haynesworth they had a bunch of rookies.