Albert Breer's new mock

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Dude, you're literally making all the same excuses people made for Kyle Boller when he went from 3rd or 4th round prospect to top 20 pick. The same ones we made when we picked EJ Manuel 6 years ago. 

Read up on Boller - he had a great senior bowl, and then an outstanding combine and pro day. He supposedly threw a football threw the uprights from mid field while kneeling. Scouts left the practice drooling over his arm and mobility. 

Then he put the pads on, and the Kyle Boller that everyone loved in shorts and a t shirt went back to being the Kyle Boller that wasn't actually very good at playing football. He was eaten alive in the NFL because despite being able to throw the ball 80 yards, he couldn't consistently hit receivers within 10 yards of the LOS. 

Im not seeing accuracy issues with Allen.  The difference between 56.2% and 60% is 1 completion per game.  That's 1 checkdown vs a guy trusting his arm and zipping the ball down the field.  Guys with accuracy issues don't make the throws he did against Iowa in what gets panned as a bad game for him.  I'd go Darnold 1st in this draft because he has the upside to be a top 5 QB and a higher floor than Allen.  Allen would be my number 2 because his upside is highest and Rosen and Mayfield have a high bust factor also.  

29 minutes ago, DFT said:

Quite a bit.   In person and film.

I didn’t see the guys you referenced, but agree that he’s eerily similar to Freeman and Boller.  You want those guys to make it, badly because their brand of talent is so rare.  But the tape doesn’t lie.   He has some serious bust potential 

15 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

His downside is that he's out of the league in 5-6 years or nothing more than a training camp flier by the end of their rookie deal like each of Manuel, Boller, Losman and Freeman. 

People get so wrapped up in arm strength, but they completely ignore that the NFL is a precision passing league where 75-80% of throws are within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. 

Knowing that, why does it even matter if a guy can throw the ball 80 yards. When does that skill ever actually present itself as an opportunity on a football field? 

The reason I'm asking whether or not you've watched him much is that your respective characterizations of his accuracy don't mesh with the eye test.

What tendencies do you see when you watch him, or--in other words--when does his accuracy fail him?  I don't see a guy that can't place the ball; I see a guy that felt like he had to compensate for his relative lack of a supporting cast by trying to make throws he shouldn't be making, as well as a kid that was all-too-often trying to throw under a LOT of pressure.

And again, I reference the data that I put together earlier in this thread: there are multiple instances of sub-60% passers that have gotten more accurate (much more, in fact) as pros.  Giving the kid an NFL OL and some decent targets would be a good start.

I digress though: I keep reading the blanket characterization of the kid that reads "he can't hit the broadside of a barn"; that's simply not what shows up on video (I refuse to say "tape" since I haven't access to the All-22).

23 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The reason I'm asking whether or not you've watched him much is that your respective characterizations of his accuracy don't mesh with the eye test.

What tendencies do you see when you watch him, or--in other words--when does his accuracy fail him?  I don't see a guy that can't place the ball; I see a guy that felt like he had to compensate for his relative lack of a supporting cast by trying to make throws he shouldn't be making, as well as a kid that was all-too-often trying to throw under a LOT of pressure.

And again, I reference the data that I put together earlier in this thread: there are multiple instances of sub-60% passers that have gotten more accurate (much more, in fact) as pros.  Giving the kid an NFL OL and some decent targets would be a good start.

I digress though: I keep reading the blanket characterization of the kid that reads "he can't hit the broadside of a barn"; that's simply not what shows up on video (I refuse to say "tape" since I haven't access to the All-22).

I've seen Allen make some absolutely tremendous throws. Idk what my reaction would be if we drafted him honestly. Hope for the best, but don't get my hopes up too far I guess. He certainly was under more pressure this past season. His yards per attempt dropped from 8.3 to 6.9 due to the fact he was constantly under duress. He is definitely a boom or bust prospect though. 

6 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Barf. 

Allen is terrible. 

Exactly!!! Why is his potential "limitless", but Jackson's isn't? Allen MUST have a brilliant agent!!

1 hour ago, DFT said:

Strongest arm, great build and freakishly athletic for his size.  That is helping people see passed his GLARING deficiencies. 

RYAN LEAF!! KYLE BOLLER!! NUFF SAID