Flutie To Be Released!!!

I agree.

flutie really made football fun again for a few years. How anyone can be so narrow minded as to wish him anything but good luck is way beyond me. I was out here in San Diego when he scored against the Bills in the closing moments, and although I didn't like it I was great to see a guy his age still giving 100%

271850[/snapback]

Ill tell you how. Despite the fact that he was fun tow atch for like 8 weeks one year. The guy is a jerk. He plays the media like a fiddle and because of it reaps benefits. I saw him once at eastview mall during a training camp. He was a total jerk, not just to me, but to other fans who said something to him while i saw as well.

I've heard other stories in addition to that, but the one thing that I am certain of is that Doug Flutie only cares about Doug Flutie, and is not a team player.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find peoples reaction to Flutie to be interesting.  To some, his name results in the same sort of violent gut reaction that only Hillary Clinton can match.

On the face of it, you would think everyone would like an undersized guy who finally had some success in the NFL in his late 30's.  It is quite a story and for all us average sized guys should invoke empathy.

I have a few theories:

1.) Women like him too much.  Kind of a male cattiness syndrome.

2.)  Canadians like him too much.  Some just aren't completely sure about the loyalties of countrymen that never rebelled against the Monarchy.  Are they really Bills fans?

3.) Some fans supported Rob Johnson and just can't get over that the argument is over and neither side won.

4.)  Big guys seem to not like Flutie.  His success may challenge their feeling of macho superiority over the "wimps" of the world.

5.)  He's arrogant.  It is the first reason most people mention but I believe it is far down the list.  Hell, hundreds of popular pro athletes are arrogant.

Just my theories.

271414[/snapback]

As a somewhat tall person, I am sick of people rooting for Flutie just because he's short. Being tall isn't all sweet smelling farts. Whenever you do good in basketball or volleyball they say it was just because you are tall like that's worse reason to excel than because of any other physical talent. And flying on the airplane and riding in small, fruity cars, etc. etc.

That being said I am hopeful that Flutie will be signed and take the number 11 so that he circle will be complete.

Another drink please!

I find peoples reaction to Flutie to be interesting.  To some, his name results in the same sort of violent gut reaction that only Hillary Clinton can match.

Actually Hillary Clinto has alot to do with why I don't like Flutie. I was ok with him until he campaigned for her.

Maybe it's the Friday night wine, but after years of rallying against the midget in the CFL and Buffalo, I'm ready to let it go.

Thanks for the memories - I can now admit that there was some magic I witnessed in Calgary and Buffalo. I don't miss you, but I respect you. If you do come back to the Great White North, I'll buy you a beer, eh.

Of course, we don't need you in Cowtown - we signed the Bears 4th string QB from three years ago as our savior. Grey Cup and another RED MILE for Calgary :blush:

Actually Hillary Clinto has alot to do with why I don't like Flutie.  I was ok with him until he campaigned for her.

271974[/snapback]

not that this should ever change your opinion (and i'm admittedly a dem who thinks she's doing a great job), but she now has some of the highest approval ratings for a senator in recent NY history - the high 60 percents. that's from the NYT/CBS poll and the Quinnipiac NY state poll ...

Today, March 11 2005 is a great day because the San Diego Chargers cut Doug Flutie. I hope he never plays again.

271833[/snapback]

Wow. Doug must be devistated. At 43 he has his entire career ahead of him. Tragic

Ill tell you how.  Despite the fact that he was fun tow atch for like 8 weeks one year.  The guy is a jerk.  He plays the media like a fiddle and because of it reaps benefits.  I saw him once at eastview mall during a training camp.  He was a total jerk, not just to me, but to other fans who said something to him while i saw as well.

I've heard other stories in addition to that, but the one thing that I am certain of is that Doug Flutie only cares about Doug Flutie, and is not a team player.

271953[/snapback]

I saw him in Rochester when they had about 3 or 4 players and cheerleaders at a car dealership on Marsh Road. Flutie was there and was on the bench that year behind RJ. He was taking time to talk to every fan - especially the kids.

When it was my turn, I told him to be ready because he was going to get his chance soon. He looked at me and said, "You really mean that, don't you?" I smiled and just said, "Yes, so be ready!" He stood up and shook my hand and said "Thanks!"

I was about 5th from the end of the line, the doors were closed, and the tv cameras had left, so he was not playing the media at that point. He was just a regular guy.

I am not refuting your bad experience AND I do not say this to start another freaking Flutie debate. Just telling you MY encounter with him. :blush:

I wish him well. Someone will probably pick him up as a backup.

I saw him in Rochester when they had about 3 or 4 players and cheerleaders at a car dealership on Marsh Road. Flutie was there and was on the bench that year behind RJ. He was taking time to talk to every fan - especially the kids.

272278[/snapback]

Flutie seems to be a man who goes out of his way for public appearances, not leaving until everyone in line gets their autograph, probably with the false hope that he'll be left alone when he's just trying to live his life (go to the store, movies, Darien Lake). Most negative stories I've heard from people about "meeting Flutie" have come when he was just out and about trying to be an anonymous member of the crowd. So both your stories could be true....