Dismissing the "There's no QB worth it this year!" idea...

People who are now acting like there are no worthy QB's in this year's draft are insane. The 2018 QB class is just as good, if not better than any in the last 5+ years Hindsight is 20/20, and going into each year's draft every QB had question marks.

For reference, NFL.com's draft grades are Rosen - 6.19, Mayfield - 6.03, and Darnold - 7.0.

In 2017, we had - Trubisky (6.31), Mahomes (5.87), Watson (5.98) & Kizer (5.78). Yes, Watson lit it up, but he was selected #12, as many teams didn't believe in him. There was not a "sure thing" in this draft.

In 2016, we had - Jared Goff (6.51), Carson Wentz (6.53) & Paxton Lynch (6.17). Both Goff & Wentz had plenty of red flags, just look at pre-draft & post draft grades on players. Goff was said to be a "C-" and "has shown absolutely no signs that he can be a professional QB" by Walter Football. PFF said Wentz has "concerns with timing, accuracy, and ability to make plays under pressure." 
Again, no "sure thing," in this draft.

In 2015, we had - Jameis Winston (6.7) & Marcus Mariota (6.27). They've both been up & down in the NFL, and both have been a mixed bag of success & failure. Yup, no "sure thing" once again.

In 2014, we had - Blake Bortles (6.22), Johnny Manziel (6.12), and Teddy Bridgewater (6.15). Bortles has been pretty bad until this year, Manziel was a train wreck, and Bridgewater still hasn't done anything. Aaaand again, don't see a "sure thing" here.

In 2013, we had EJ Manuel....That's it for 1st round QB's. Yup, what a mistake it was to grab a QB in THIS draft.

Point being, EVERY year there's 0 guarantees, and at some point you have to take a guy. Everyone has question marks, and everyone can be boom or bust. All of these guys including the 3 listed for 2018 are graded in the same range. What matters is selecting YOUR guy, and sticking by & developing them correctly. There will almost certainly be at least ONE hit QB this year, & the Bills are looking to be that team.

Going into last draft, everyone said "just wait until 2018 to grab a QB, that'll be a loaded draft!" Now as the 2018 draft looms closer, fans get their typical cold feet (fortunately, they aren't the ones in charge) and comment to "wait until next draft!" Kicking the can down the road year after year is an exercise in stupidity.

If they end up drafting the next Wentz or Watson, the trade up is worth it. If they grab the next Manziel, Bortles or Lynch, it was a failure. If they grab the next Mariotta or Winston, they could be right in the middle. Either way, this draft is as good as any, and Andrew Luck's only come around once in a blue moon. Waiting for the stars to align to get someone like that isn't feasible, and is part of the reason it took 18 years & Andy Dalton to get them to the playoffs.

I'd love to see the Bills get Darnold, although I still find it unlikely. However, each passing day it seems more & more possible with the moves Beane & Co. are making, so I'm not dismissing the idea anymore. Whoever they grab, I just hope they do it with the intention of letting them work out their issues, play through their mistakes & put them in a position to succeed instead of destroying their confidence & stifling their development.
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

Those "people" suffer from being fraidy cats and not actually knowing anything about the prospects. They say all the QB's suck every year so they don't get hurt.

Bingo!

They try to "play it safe" year after year by just dismissing everyone. Those are the same people who check & fold on every poker hand until they have a guaranteed flush.

Everything doesn't have to be a flush to be good or even great. There are guys almost every single year that come in & show everyone how wrong they were. Teams that hit on a QB either get really lucky, or they take a risk. Sitting back year after year & saying "wait until next year when _________ comes out" only for that year to come & then get cold feet is ridiculous.

53 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Bingo!

They try to "play it safe" year after year by just dismissing everyone. Those are the same people who check & fold on every poker hand until they have a guaranteed flush.

Everything doesn't have to be a flush to be good or even great. There are guys almost every single year that come in & show everyone how wrong they were. Teams that hit on a QB either get really lucky, or they take a risk. Sitting back year after year & saying "wait until next year when _________ comes out" only for that year to come & then get cold feet is ridiculous.

Bingo!!!!

The problem is, this isn't a game for the GM laying is job on the line. Case in point, Nix & Whaley  just drafted a guy...was he 1st rd worthy? Prior to that it was JP Losman...just drafting a QB is foolish unless he's a 1st rd talent (verified by the teams board)and NOT because ofa need at the position. 

Posters can dream up any scenario they want, if it doesn't workout...whats the damage incurred? Absolutely nothing but fun & games. 

Famous Quote-" If you listen to the fans in the stands, you will soon be sitting with them." Marv Levy

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

destroying their confidence & stifling their development

like they did with Pterman at SanDiego, you mean...? well even if our current staff was already here, it might have been Dennison´s call and a reason why he is not here anymore!

This entire thread is a RED HERRING.

I have read almost no one here saying there are no good QBs in this draft.

I have heard the more intelligent people saying there are 4-6 good QBs and it's unclear which if any are better than the others.

WHICH MEANS that dumping a pile of picks to trade up to get one of the top 2 or 3 when 4 or 5 might be just as good or better is stupid.

Edited by BobChalmers

Of the scouts and talking heads I listen to and actually watching them play, I see this class as being at the level of 04.  Imo 3 of the top 5 guys could become elite.  Ofcourse some will bust.  I think a starter or 2 could be developed out of the 2nd and 3rd day.  

12 would put them in a position for Mayfiled or Jackson.  I feel Darnold and Rosen are the cream of the class with Rosen being the most polished.  The x factor is Allen.  He has that Farve, Marino type of arm.  He also could bust terrible.  If im going all the way for the Qb im going for the most ready.  To me that is Rosen.

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

Rosen and it's a large gap to #2. Watch the usc UCLA game and keep in mind how much better of a team usc is

I’m Rosen, then Darnold, then Mayfield. But I think Mayfield may surprise. It’s those darn nagging questions....

Allen is a lotto ticket. 

Just now, Augie said:

I’m Rosen, then Darnold, then Mayfield. But I think Mayfield may surprise. It’s those darn nagging questions....

Allen is a lotto ticket. 

I like Mayfield a lot more than I thought I would. I would probably have him over Darnold as well. Darnold's motion is horrible, that delivery is just wrong, he has terrible footwork and doesn't have a solid base when he throws. I just don't see it

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

I like Mayfield a lot more than I thought I would. I would probably have him over Darnold as well. Darnold's motion is horrible, that delivery is just wrong, he has terrible footwork and doesn't have a solid base when he throws. I just don't see it

It’s close. Honestly, I’ll be happy with any of those 3 the FO feels is best. Unlike previous regimes, these guys get a great deal of trust from me. 

16 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s close. Honestly, I’ll be happy with any of those 3 the FO feels is best. Unlike previous regimes, these guys get a great deal of trust from me. 

That's another thing. These guys clearly know what they're doing. I've never seen a Bills front office look SO competent, and agree with every trade or signing they've swung.

The ONLY one that looked bad (and still looks not like a definite "win") is the Dareus trade. Yes, I know his contract was huge & not worth the production, but the box stats never reflected how important he was to the team & the run defense in particular.

He also allowed others on the line to play to a much higher level, and considering what we got for Tyrod, it's hard to imagine we couldn't get more than a 6th round pick (and not an early 6th either). Yes, Tyrod is a QB, and that's a huge factor as to why we netted a 3rd (practically a 2nd) for him. But every team knew he was on his way out, and that we only picked up his next year contract to trade him.

So other than the Dareus trade, everything from last year's trade out of the 10th slot to get another 1st in 2018, to drafting Tre White, to entirely revamping the secondary, to getting value from Watkins, to moving up to 12th with Glenn, picking up Vontae Davis, now getting Lotulelei, etc. it's safe to say they know wtf they're doing....and whatever QB they want is going to be damn good if developed right & put in a GOOD system for him to succeed.

16 hours ago, Augie said:

Allen is a lotto ticket. 

I have it like this: Rosen, Allen & Mayfield (tie), Darnold.

Rosen is the best and could start immediately.

I see the potential in Darnold, but I'm not fully sold on him.

I think Mayfield and Allen are both very good, and I would not be upset with either of them.