With comp picks in mind do we even go after a FA

16 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I dunno - sportrac has an annual value on brown of 8.4 million, and 9.3 million for Gaines.  Kyle may sign a 1 year deal with a contender, and there's like no reason we sign matthews.  

I'll be shocked if we sign Matthews; I meant that with his terrible 2017, he might choose to sign in a good situation for a very cheap contract in the hopes that his numbers rebound, and thus not be a qualifying FA loss.  We'll see on the others - I'm no expert.  Gaines getting $9-10mil average value wouldn't surprise me, but Brown getting $8mil would.

1 hour ago, Estro said:

EJ Gaines likely gets us a 4th round comp pick, if he signs for North of $8M per.  If it comes in between $6-8M he'll fetch us a 2019 5th.

Matthews will probably be in the 5th/6th range.  If it's over $6M per it'll be a 5, south of 6 per and it'll be a 6th.

Preston Brown, same as Matthews, a 5th or 6th.

My prediction:

4th for Gaines

5th for Matthews (If healthy)

6th for Brown

Root for big contract.  Any FA we sign will cancel out one of the above players.  So the team has to ask itself is this player worth giving up a 4th/5th or 6th in 2019 over just signing a cut player or a UDFA.

I get the point, but I cannot imagine the Bills doing nothing during free agency.

We FINALLY made the playoffs and the Bills have to build on that. I'm just saying we should add a couple more players in free agency.

Draft picks alone, will not fix everything.

1 hour ago, Estro said:

EJ Gaines likely gets us a 4th round comp pick, if he signs for North of $8M per.  If it comes in between $6-8M he'll fetch us a 2019 5th.

Matthews will probably be in the 5th/6th range.  If it's over $6M per it'll be a 5, south of 6 per and it'll be a 6th.

Preston Brown, same as Matthews, a 5th or 6th.

My prediction:

4th for Gaines

5th for Matthews (If healthy)

6th for Brown

Root for big contract.  Any FA we sign will cancel out one of the above players.  So the team has to ask itself is this player worth giving up a 4th/5th or 6th in 2019 over just signing a cut player or a UDFA.

I agree with your assessment that those are the only CFAs that Buffalo is likely to lose.  There's a small chance that a guy like Deonte will fetch a CFA-level contract, which would help the team's chances at comp picks, but the reality of the team's situation is that right now they have about 13 spots on the final 53 that are open.  If Kyle decides to return and they manage to re-sign Leonard Johnson and either Shark Thomas or Colt Anderson, they can cut that down to 10, but there's absolutely no way they're going to fill all 13 of those spots without signing a number of FAs.  I suppose it's possible that they're able to fill as many as 5 spots with draft picks, but you'd need to feel really good about your ability to sign street FAs after June 1st in order to only sign 2 CFAs come March 14th.

Comp picks wont stop us from filling a need with a FA. 

Comp picks might affect a decicion where, all other things being mostly equal, Beane might sign someone who would not affect the plus comp pick

It makes sense and I am OK with that. 

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Do you think it is more important to be awarded a comp pick, or sign a F/A that can help the team in the upcoming season? 

I think FA for sure. was just repeating what I had read regarding possible bills intentions

Edited by BeastMode54