The Combine Looms Larger Than Before

H2o

For this QB class. What will the measurables be like initially, especially for a guy like Mayfield? Interviews will be huge for many of these guys like Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, and Jackson. Can they process playbooks? How do they react tonthe questioning? How will they come off persona wise? All of the guys are throwing which could help guys like Jackson and Allen. Will they display accuracy, padless or not? We will be looking for the velocity on guys like Rudolph, Mayfield, and Darnold. People will be dissecting footwork and throwing motions. What kind of 40 times will we see outside of Jackson's expected sub 4.4 time? I expect a couple of the guys like Mayfield and Allen to run times in the 4.6's, but we shall see. It will be interesting to watch over the next week. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the interviews are big for Rudolph too. I take issue with the perception that he doesn't get through progressions... he does in the relatively simple Oklahoma State offense but they are learned progressions rather than clear examples of him reading defenses and getting to the right guy.  Teams will be very, very keen to test him on the whiteboard and see if he understands what defenses are giving him and process the right progressions in that context (ie. if the safety has bitten hard on an outside receiver's fake and left the middle of the field then don't bother going to your 'learned' number 2 because your Tight End who is your 3rd progression is bound to be open).  He doesn't have the same "character" questions that some of the other QBs do but he has some big system fit questions to answer.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Every combine looks largest because what I need today is more important than what I needed yesterday.

Every combine looks largest because what I need today is more important than what I needed yesterday.

gonna go get the papers, get the papers

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

that's cool.....trying to lighten things up once in a while. Have a great day

How uncharacteristically civil an exchange in here, we didn't even call each other names over nothing :P

Also cheers, you too.

Edited by Woodman19

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the interviews are big for Rudolph too. I take issue with the perception that he doesn't get through progressions... he does in the relatively simple Oklahoma State offense but they are learned progressions rather than clear examples of him reading defenses and getting to the right guy.  Teams will be very, very keen to test him on the whiteboard and see if he understands what defenses are giving him and process the right progressions in that context (ie. if the safety has bitten hard on an outside receiver's fake and left the middle of the field then don't bother going to your 'learned' number 2 because your Tight End who is your 3rd progression is bound to be open).  He doesn't have the same "character" questions that some of the other QBs do but he has some big system fit questions to answer.  

True. I have been one that has said I've seen Rudolph lock onto one guy or only scan half the field. I also worry about him because both of his WR's are possible 1st Round picks. Was he a product of the guys around him? We'll start to see how it unfolds this week. 

Edited by H2o

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

True. I have been one that has said I've seen Rudolph lock onto one guy or only scan half the field. I also worry about him because both of his WR's are possible 1st Round picks. Was he a product of the guys around him? We'll start to see how it unfolds this week. 

See I am not as high on either of his receivers as you.  I think they are as much products of a system that schemes guys open.  Washington might go late 1st but I think is a high 2nd rounder talent wise.  Ateman I have a 3rd on.  I think Rudolph was the best player on that offense.  But all three of them -  QB and both WRs - face questions about their ability to translate to the complexity of a full NFL offensive scheme.  

I think the only things the Combine will be really good for in these QBs is their medicals. The 15 min interview wont tip the scale in my opinion. 

What means more is when the coaches bring them to their facilities and spend all day on the board with them. 

I have said this in other posts so I apologize for the repetition. Rudolph fits the profile as a player and person that this regime wants. He has a lot of playing time and he has gotten better each year. He is not as dynamic as some of the other top tier prospects but he is consistently productive. He has NFL size and that should allow him to absorb the pro punishment more so than a player like Rosen. I have heard Beane talk about the type of qb he favors. Every time he emphasized that he wants a qb who can function well in the pocket. Again, Rudolph in spades fits the mold. 

See I am not as high on either of his receivers as you.  I think they are as much products of a system that schemes guys open.  Washington might go late 1st but I think is a high 2nd rounder talent wise.  Ateman I have a 3rd on.  I think Rudolph was the best player on that offense.  But all three of them -  QB and both WRs - face questions about their ability to translate to the complexity of a full NFL offensive scheme.  

I do like Washington and put him in the latter 1/3 of Round 1. Ateman I think could slip in, but think he will be early day 2. I think the combine and how they perform in the drills will be key for them.