Not So Fast on a Huge Deal for Kirk Cousins says Andrew Brandt

26CornerBlitz

27 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm not the one being stubborn.   The best evidence is that chances to win now and the best chances to cash in are not the things that COUSINS cares about.   Maybe they are the things YOU would care about, but it's COUSINS who will be making the choice.   My reply to was asking you to comment about what factors you think make other places more attractive than Buffalo to COUSINS, and you come back telling was what would be more attractive to you. 

And yes, I'm an advocate for getting him.  I think he's the best choice.   But that isn't what I'm writing about - I've said repeatedly that what matters is whether McBeane think he's the best choice, and I don't know what they think.   I'm writing about what I think the attractive and unattractive aspects of each team to Cousins.   It's based on reported information and my speculation, not based on the fact that I think the Bills should get him.  

I don't know what you think he cares about, but Cousins himself mentioned Minnesota as a good situation and anyone who looks at them objectively can see they are set up for a run as perennial contenders. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No this is funny!  Well played...

We can debate the sidebar of how much of a choker Rivers is, but it distracts from the point that, by your own measures, McKown performed as well (shortened season) as Cousins on a worse team.  How do the Jets get "a lot better" by squandering so much cap by swapping McKwon for Cousins?

how did mccown play as well as cousins?k. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

We can debate the sidebar of how much of a choker Rivers is, but it distracts from the point that, by your own measures, McKown performed as well (shortened season) as Cousins on a worse team.  How do the Jets get "a lot better" by squandering so much cap by swapping McKwon for Cousins?

??? What is your point about McKown? McKown's QB+ rating this year (as per PFR) was 109 and Cousins' was 108. In the years prior, Cousins' QB+ rating was way better than McKown's. 

McKown is also 39 years old. Cousins is 29. Come on. 39 is old. He was surprisingly solid this past season, but he's got one decent year left in him max.

Edited by dave mcbride

30 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm not the one being stubborn.   The best evidence is that chances to win now and the best chances to cash in are not the things that COUSINS cares about.   Maybe they are the things YOU would care about, but it's COUSINS who will be making the choice.   My reply to was asking you to comment about what factors you think make other places more attractive than Buffalo to COUSINS, and you come back telling was what would be more attractive to you. 

And yes, I'm an advocate for getting him.  I think he's the best choice.   But that isn't what I'm writing about - I've said repeatedly that what matters is whether McBeane think he's the best choice, and I don't know what they think.   I'm writing about what I think the attractive and unattractive aspects of each team to Cousins.   It's based on reported information and my speculation, not based on the fact that I think the Bills should get him.  

the only one being stubborn in conversations with 26CornerBlitz  is 26CornerBlitz 

queue the name calling /  insults  in 3, 2, 1 

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No this is funny!  Well played...

Come on man! You simply cannot equate Cousins and McCown.

24 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

??? What is your point about McKown? McKown's QB+ rating this year (as per PFR) was 109 and Cousins' was 108. In the years prior, Cousins' QB+ rating was way better than McKown's. 

McKown is also 39 years old. Cousins is 29. Come on. 39 is old. He was surprisingly solid this past season, but he's got one decent year left in him max.

My point was that you, with your stated metrics confirmed that Cousins is on more on par with McKown---a 39 year old McKown at that--than Brees.

Cousins would not have made this Jets team a playoff team. 

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Come on man! You simply cannot equate Cousins and McCown.

I wasn't the one using completion%, TD/int ratio, QB rating and YPA to make a point about how much of an upgrade Cousins would be for a team like the Jets.  I'm pointing out that they had a QB with those Cousins numbers this season. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

My point was that you, with your stated metrics confirmed that Cousins is on more on par with McKown---a 39 year old McKown at that--than Brees.

For 1 year; as opposed to the past 3, or their careers as a whole...

31 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

how did mccown play as well as cousins?k. 

Based on Dave McBride's stats this season.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

For 1 year; as opposed to the past 3, or their careers as a whole...

Ok, so you want to throw in Cousins's first three seasons too? 

56 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ok, so you want to throw in Cousins's first three seasons too? 

I don't see why not.

For Dave:

Completion %: Brees 66.9, Cousins 65.4, McCown 60.4

YPA: Brees 7.59, Cousins 7.72, McCown 6.82

TD/INT: Brees 2.18, Cousins 1.82, McCown 1.24

Passer Rating: Brees 97.0, Cousins 93.6, McCown 80.8

ANY/A: Brees 6.99, Cousins 6.72, McCown 5.12

Are you starting to see why your comparison is silly WEO?

For WEO:

YPG: Brees 284.9, Cousins 262.5, McCown 180.7

TD/G: Brees 2.042, Cousins 1.810, McCown 1.158

Looking at full careers and not the last 3 years, the most comparable QBs to Cousins statistically are Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is both sophistry and straw man-ish. I never claimed that Cousins would or could have made the 2017 Jets squad a playoff team. This entire year for the Jets was cap-clearing salary dump that would put them in position for 2018. They now have excellent young talent on defense, a good draft slot, and a ton of cap space. This is the year to go after a player like Cousins and expect better results. I don't have any idea if they'll get him, but they're in the running. 

To wit: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22347565/kirk-cousins-2018-nfl-free-agency-sweepstakes-seven-offers-sign-quarterback-picking-best. This is a good piece that makes a logical case for him going to Jax.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I don't see why not.

For Dave:

Completion %: Brees 66.9, Cousins 65.4, McCown 60.4

YPA: Brees 7.59, Cousins 7.72, McCown 6.82

TD/INT: Brees 2.18, Cousins 1.82, McCown 1.24

Passer Rating: Brees 97.0, Cousins 93.6, McCown 80.8

ANY/A: Brees 6.99, Cousins 6.72, McCown 5.12

Are you starting to see why your comparison is silly WEO?

For WEO:

YPG: Brees 284.9, Cousins 262.5, McCown 180.7

TD/G: Brees 2.042, Cousins 1.810, McCown 1.158

Looking at full careers and not the last 3 years, the most comparable QBs to Cousins statistically are Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger.

Actually, you are proving why using those Bolded metrics for comparison is silly---and that is the point I have made repeatedly.  It compels you to draw an equivalence between a guy like Cousins, with 3 out of 6 seasons as full time starter, with guys who have been successful for years.  No on e would argue the Steelers, chargers, or Falcons would have been as successful with Kirk Cousins as QB.  THAT would be a silly argument.

Completion %:  Brady 63.9,  Cousins 65.4

YPA:  Brady 7.5, Cousins 7.72

TD/INT:  Brady 2.97, Cousins 1.82

Rating:  Brady 97.6, Cousins 93.6

So, Cousins is also "comparable" to Brady! I mean, I don't see why not...

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

This is both sophistry and straw man-ish. I never claimed that Cousins would or could have made the 2017 Jets squad a playoff team. This entire year for the Jets was cap-clearing salary dump that would put them in position for 2018. They now have excellent young talent on defense, a good draft slot, and a ton of cap space. This is the year to go after a player like Cousins and expect better results. I don't have any idea if they'll get him, but they're in the running. 

To wit: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22347565/kirk-cousins-2018-nfl-free-agency-sweepstakes-seven-offers-sign-quarterback-picking-best. This is a good piece that makes a logical case for him going to Jax.

Possibly to Jax.  Here's another that suggests Bortles stays put:

http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/24743/insiders-predict-jaguars-qb-in-2018-where-blake-bortles-will-play

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Actually, you are proving why using those Bolded metrics for comparison is silly---and that is the point I have made repeatedly.  It compels you to draw an equivalence between a guy like Cousins, with 3 out of 6 seasons as full time starter, with guys who have been successful for years.  No on e would argue the Steelers, chargers, or Falcons would have been as successful with Kirk Cousins as QB.  THAT would be a silly argument.

So, Cousins is also "comparable" to Brady! I mean, I don't see why not...

I see you've abandoned the McCown bit since that was hilariously incorrect. And I'd happily argue that the Falcons would have been at least as successful with Cousins as they've been with Ryan.

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So, Cousins is also "comparable" to Brady! I mean, I don't see why not..

the stats don't lie.....    ;)

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I see you've abandoned the McCown bit since that was hilariously incorrect. And I'd happily argue that the Falcons would have been at least as successful with Cousins as they've been with Ryan.

Your second sentence qualifies as that.

My initial comparison (and response to Dave) was for the past season--I.e.  both QBs as they are now. 

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

. He is a bona fide good player whose numbers slid a little this year partly because of a much worse receiving corps and a bad running game. Context matters. 

Does this sound like anyone else we know? Bad WRs. Running game with 1.4 less ypa than the year before ...

Surely these are not just excuses.

Edited by reddogblitz

48 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Thanks. I think Cousins would be a big upgrade over Bortles, although I do think that Bortles' mobility is an underrated aspect of his game. The other thing I'll say about Bortles is that while he looked like garbage throwing the ball against Buffalo, he played pretty well against Pitt and well against NE until the game was on the line. But if I'm Tom Coughlin, I take Cousins over Bortles 8 days a week. Coughlin is in it to win it at this point, and I think Cousins is a better vehicle for achieving that goal. There will be a lot of competition for him, though ... 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Thanks. I think Cousins would be a big upgrade over Bortles, although I do think that Bortles' mobility is an underrated aspect of his game. The other thing I'll say about Bortles is that while he looked like garbage throwing the ball against Buffalo, he played pretty well against Pitt and well against NE until the game was on the line. But if I'm Tom Coughlin, I take Cousins over Bortles 8 days a week. Coughlin is in it to win it at this point, and I think Cousins is a better vehicle for achieving that goal. There will be a lot of competition for him, though ... 

I agree