Which Players Were The Weak Links During The Bills Super Bowl Era?

BuffaloRush

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Biggest mistake Levy ever made, was not using Tasker at WR.  He would have been the Welker/Edelman of his time, maybe even better.  Late in Kelly's career there was a season where we had a ton of injuries at WR.  Tasker went in and was flat out great for the few weeks he played.  Then we got healthy at WR, Tasker for some reason, went back to only special teams.  Even as a kid I was amazed that after seeing how he played, they didn't keep him at WR.  His skill was obvious and we missed out.

11 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Biggest mistake Levy ever made, was not using Tasker at WR.  He would have been the Welker/Edelman of his time, maybe even better.  Late in Kelly's career there was a season where we had a ton of injuries at WR.  Tasker went in and was flat out great for the few weeks he played.  Then we got healthy at WR, Tasker for some reason, went back to only special teams.  Even as a kid I was amazed that after seeing how he played, they didn't keep him at WR.  His skill was obvious and we missed out.

fair enough

13 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

It was a team loss for sure and the one thing that stood out was the poor tackling.  There were at least two dozen instances when a Bills player was in a perfect position to make a tackle but the Giants pushed them aside.  

I don’t disagree.  But my point was that kicker was one of the few weak spots during 1990 and 1991.  Norwood’s inability to make long kicks in grass really was on display in Super Bowl 25

12 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

It was a team loss for sure and the one thing that stood out was the poor tackling.  There were at least two dozen instances when a Bills player was in a perfect position to make a tackle but the Giants pushed them aside.  

Man, that 9 minute drive the Giants had to start the 2nd half probably took a few years off my life.  Seemed like endless 3rd down conversions and missed tackles.

And we had so much momentum going into the half.  That drive decided the game.  Belichick’s defensive game plan is in the HOF, but he didn’t have to do much with Kelly on the sideline.

8 minutes ago, Success said:

Man, that 9 minute drive the Giants had to start the 2nd half probably took a few years off my life.  Seemed like endless 3rd down conversions and missed tackles.

And we had so much momentum going into the half.  That drive decided the game.  Belichick’s defensive game plan is in the HOF, but he didn’t have to do much with Kelly on the sideline.

the one where it seemed Ingram hopped on one leg with 3 Bills on his back to get the first down on 3rd and 17?

Parcells and Belichick together was like Landry and Lombardi on the same coaching staff

and as if you could ever want it more than Bavaro

(with two of those key 3rd down receptions)

Edited by row_33

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the one where it seemed Ingram hopped on one leg with 3 Bills on his back to get the first down on 3rd and 17?

Parcells and Belichick together was like Landry and Lombardi on the same coaching staff

and as if you could ever want it more than Bavaro

(with two of those key 3rd down receptions)

3rd and 17 was inexcusable.Such poor effort.  Stop him there and it’s a field goal and likely Lombardi, and Norwood is only remembered for being our kicker in that era.

13 minutes ago, Success said:

3rd and 17 was inexcusable.Such poor effort.  Stop him there and it’s a field goal and likely Lombardi, and Norwood is only remembered for being our kicker in that era.

Giants wanted it a little bit more that day.

When the Bills walked out of the Meadowlands that December with the win and Simms playing and Kelly injured, there was no doubt the Bills were the best team in the NFL, and right until the Giants shocked them that was the only time I ever could think they were #1 for my 45 years as a fan

still burns me they lost to the Giants

38 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Yeah I remember either Steven Baker or Mark Ingram converting a ridiculous third down where like 6 people missed tackles.  There were a few awful third down conversions by the Giants....ugg!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

They were the #1 defense in the NFL that year.

They were the previous year's SB champ also, people seem to forget this, along with your post points, which were great.

BBs defensive playbook from that game is actually in Canton @ the HoF.

He developed a gameplan special to counter the no huddle offense.

It's literally all time great stuff.

Looking back, after his cheating, and spying, I wonder if he actually did that back then too??

NFN, but the Bills players would steal calls and signals...just not to the extent that BB used to do at times.  This is a big reason as to why the Bills defense always seemed to have Miami QBs Dan Marino's number in so many games. They watched enough film and discovered that he would have many tells in his game by his body posture and actions before a play. They also played the Dolphins enough that they learned the play calls. 

Anyway, the point I was attempting to make for that first SB was that for most of the season the Bills were a run first team and while teams couldn't stop that no-huddle passing offense they also couldn't stop Thurman Thomas's cutbacks. Miami QB Dan Marino used to complain that they didn't have a RB anywhere near the talent of Thomas.

Bills QB Jim Kelly called all his own offensive plays and he came out throwing in that first super bowl. I dunno, perhaps he wanted the MVP. Kelly went 18 of 30 for 212 yards while only handing the ball off to Thurman 15 times who went 15 attempts for 135 yards, 1 TD. Gee, whats that average out to be in YPC? Had the Bills ran Thurman Thomas more often from the start I think it would have been an easy win.

Lets also not forget that Bill Parcells was a stout believer in having a pounding, wear you out running game and that Giants team had the ball for 40:33 min vs 19:27 for Buffalo. The NY Giants ran the ball 39 times for 172 yards and wore out that Bills speedy, undersized D line. They held the ball by running it down the Bills throat which kept that highest scoring Bills offense on the bench. Let's also not forget that safety by Buffalo in which Bruce Smith had the Giants QB by the wrist and he had the ball in that had in the end zone. Instead of a fumble and TD. Somehow Hostetler managed to curl up around the ball to prevent a turnover. 

For all their brilliance Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells nearly lost that game as the game was lost on a Buffalo Bills FG miss that went wide right. The final score was 19-20.  Bills kicker, Scott Norwood was known for not kicking well on grass or for long field goals. Still, that FG was long enough...just wide right! 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

NFN, but the Bills players would steal calls and signals...just not to the extent that BB used to do at times.  This is a big reason as to why the Bills defense always seemed to have Miami QBs Dan Marino's number in so many games. They watched enough film and discovered that he would have many tells in his game by his body posture and actions before a play. They also played the Dolphins enough that they learned the play calls. 

Anyway, the point I was attempting to make for that first SB was that for most of the season the Bills were a run first team and while teams couldn't stop that no-huddle passing offense they also couldn't stop Thurman Thomas's cutbacks. Miami QB Dan Marino used to complain that they didn't have a RB anywhere near the talent of Thomas.

Bills QB Jim Kelly called all his own offensive plays and he came out throwing in that first super bowl. I dunno, perhaps he wanted the MVP. Kelly went 18 of 30 for 212 yards while only handing the ball off to Thurman 15 times who went 15 attempts for 135 yards, 1 TD. Gee, whats that average out to be in YPC? Had the Bills ran Thurman Thomas more often from the start I think it would have been an easy win.

Lets also not forget that Bill Parcells was a stout believer in having a pounding, wear you out running game and that Giants team had the ball for 40:33 min vs 19:27 for Buffalo. The NY Giants ran the ball 39 times for 172 yards and wore out that Bills speedy, undersized D line. They held the ball by running it down the Bills throat which kept that highest scoring Bills offense on the bench. Let's also not forget that safety by Buffalo in which Bruce Smith had the Giants QB by the wrist and he had the ball in that had in the end zone. Instead of a fumble and TD. Somehow Hostetler managed to curl up around the ball to prevent a turnover. 

For all their brilliance Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells nearly lost that game as the game was lost on a Buffalo Bills FG miss that went wide right. The final score was 19-20.  Bills kicker, Scott Norwood was known for not kicking well on grass or for long field goals. Still, that FG was long enough...just wide right! 

Agreed on all points.

I was just saying that people forget BBs defensive book that game is in the HoF.

46 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I don’t disagree.  But my point was that kicker was one of the few weak spots during 1990 and 1991.  Norwood’s inability to make long kicks in grass really was on display in Super Bowl 25

As I recall it it was not as easy to grab a replacement for a position such as kicker back then.  The draft ran 12 rounds deep so it was harder to work the UDFA angle.  

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

They had some of the best under Jauronimo

I will accept that as fact

And forgive myself for forgetting this fact...

14 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Hmmmm didn’t Patriots have a kicker that actually won a Super Bowl with a 47 yard FG?

The Eagles outdid the Pats on special teams, I think it made a crucial diff on field position from returns.  The kicking game was shameful mostly though.

The dude hammered a long FG through a blizzard off the ice in the Tuck Rule game, still can't believe he called it and delivered it.

Edited by row_33