BIlls' Offseason Needs

Now that the 2017 season is officially over - what should be our offseason priorities? While we do have a nice stash of picks, Bills have even more holes to fill than last years' offseason.

1. QB Situation - Trade for Foles or 1st round QB in Draft along with a Tyrod trade for a 4th / 5th rounder would be my choices. 

2. WR - Going into preseason with Benjamin and Zay "Mr. Drop" Jones as 1 and 2 just scares me. Some nice speed options with John Brown, Pryor or even Martavis Bryant. Would rather have one of these guys than use a first rounder on WR.

3. DL - Need a replacement for Kyle. Hughes' performance also sliding. Just two teams sacked fewer than the Bills in 2017. Definite Draft priority - Round 1 if no QB.

4. OL - Eric Wood replacement. Draft Priority - Round 1 if no QB.

5. LB - Arguably the worst unit on the Bills' defensive side. Milano is a keeper but need 2 more guys. After the Milano experience, trust the staff can find starter material in 2nd and thrid rounds. Alternatively, can live with a NaVorro Bowman signing. Singlehandedly improved Oakland's defense. But is 30 years old. Was hoping for Mason Foster but Redskins resigned him for a rather cheap deal.

6. CB - With news that Ej Gaines is on his way out, we have another hole to fill. Butler anyone? Would love for him to shutdown Hogan / Cooks twice a year and watch Belichik answer questions about that.

7. TE -  With questions about Clay's durability, is the NIcklaus' bloodline the answer? I kinda liked the guy from the Jets (whose TD was called back against the Pats). 

42 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Now that the 2017 season is officially over - what should be our offseason priorities? While we do have a nice stash of picks, Bills have even more holes to fill than last years' offseason.

1. QB Situation - Trade for Foles or 1st round QB in Draft along with a Tyrod trade for a 4th / 5th rounder would be my choices. 

2. WR - Going into preseason with Benjamin and Zay "Mr. Drop" Jones as 1 and 2 just scares me. Some nice speed options with John Brown, Pryor or even Martavis Bryant. Would rather have one of these guys than use a first rounder on WR.

3. DL - Need a replacement for Kyle. Hughes' performance also sliding. Just two teams sacked fewer than the Bills in 2017. Definite Draft priority - Round 1 if no QB.

5. LB - Arguably the worst unit on the Bills' defensive side. Milano is a keeper but need 2 more guys. After the Milano experience, trust the staff can find starter material in 2nd and thrid rounds. Alternatively, can live with a NaVorro Bowman signing. Singlehandedly improved Oakland's defense. But is 30 years old. Was hoping for Mason Foster but Redskins resigned him for a rather cheap deal.

6. CB - With news that Ej Gaines is on his way out, we have another hole to fill. Butler anyone? Would love for him to shutdown Hogan / Cooks twice a year and watch Belichik answer questions about that.

7. TE -  With questions about Clay's durability, is the NIcklaus' bloodline the answer? I kinda liked the guy from the Jets (whose TD was called back against the Pats). 

5. LB - josey jewel lb out of iowa.  Poor mans luke kuechly.  High motor never stops.  3 season of 120 tackles, 61 total stops among big 10 LB entering draft.  Can cover run/pass.  McD can use him in the inside.  Him and saquon barkley went toe vs toe in there game earlier this year.  Pretty impressive.  Might get him in 3rd(hoping).  That way we can address DT/CB/C/OL with 1st 4 picks.....as long as they do something in FA for QB

I’d put DT and LB right behind QB.  

4- OL-  I would put RG ahead of Center.  Groy played well the previous year when called upon.  I think we have our center already.  Would much rather spend a high pick on Ducasse replacement rather than replace Groy.  

• Like (+1) 3

QB, followed by linebackers (all 3, Milano is depth) then interior DL and Center.  We need that athletic center (like Philadelphia has) Groy is depth, very serviceable...Colin Brown was thought to be able to step into a starting role too after some success.

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

1. QB.I'd love Cousins but his salary would hurt us more than help us in 2018, so part of me wants to trade up and get Rosen yet part of me thinks staying at 21 and 22 to get someone like Rudolph and DT are a better option which brings me to...

2. DT Even if Kyle is brought back he's a depth guy at this point in his career, we need to replace Dareus' size and while I think we'll make an effort to get Star Lotulelei yet also like to give DaQuan Jones a looksy to (UFA from the Titans) and possibly draft one with pick 22.

3. LB Lorenzo Alexander showed his age last year so like to find another guy to start ahead of him, possibly in Round 2 of the draft.

4. Depth WR. I mentioned him in another thread but Bruce Ellington be a strong slot/return man WR option in UFA and doubt break the bank to get him.

5. Depth CB. Re-signing Gaines is vital and one would think our coach/GM know how important the secondary is by their UFA last season and drafting of a CB in Round 1 last year.

6. Depth at the interior O-line as Ritchie not getting younger and while like Groy starting at C it doesn't hurt to have someone behind him.

Edited by The Jokeman

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’d put DT and LB right behind QB.  

4- OL-  I would put RG ahead of Center.  Groy played well the previous year when called upon.  I think we have our center already.  Would much rather spend a high pick on Ducasse replacement rather than replace Groy.  

I'm curious if the Bills go back to a more power scheme and if Miller could come in and do what he did in 2016.. Just my thought. Would be nice that we already have two young and cheap replacements on the O-line in place.

QB: Foles, Keenum or rookie drafted high

RT: MIlls needs to go, sign Cameron Fleming he's 25 and as a former Patriot, he knows how to hold....

DT: that kid Vea looks amazing on youtube videos, he's big and agile, reminds me of Ngata, so I don't see how he last to 21,  if he does we would be fools not to draft him. Hurst, while undersized, seems to have a high motor, I like him. Star Lotulelei will be expensive in FA but maybe he likes the process as well. Stefan Charles is also a FA, he was with us when Schwartz was our DC.

DE: we have good players here, but we need more big plays. Hughes is getting old, but I think he can still be productive with better play from inside of the DL. Who knows what will happen with Lawson. Yarbrough and Davis are nice rotation players. Lorax hinted that he will be playing more DE than LB next year. I keep seeing the name Davenport from UTSA on many mock drafts, I don't know much about him. Aaron Lynch or Clayborn could be targets in FA.

WR: I can see Thompson returning but not Matthews. I think FA WRs will wait until we settle the QB position going forwards. 

LB: MIlano will be a starter next. If they don't re-sing Brown, I don't see much talent in FA. Reinforcements will have to come from the draft. I think we will be able to sign Humber cheap for depth and ST. Maybe Vallejo and Lacey will step up next year. 

CB: it would be nice if we're able to retain Gaines, but it will be a hard get, according to spotrac his market value will be 9.3 mill per year. Wright is also a FA, he can help you start a couple of games due to injury but he's not a long term solution, we will need to draft the starter via draft. Johnson is a nice energy player, try to re-sign him but don't break the bank, 

Several times the BIlls had a three and out being unable to get anything down the middle and ending with Tyrod getting sacked. Some of it was because opposing defenses were packing the box and some because Tyrod held on to the ball too long - but I felt our O-Line was pretty suspect in pass protection all year. That is why I made it a priority.

What do you guys think about the WR situation? Is Deonte coming back?

#1- QB starter

#2- QB #2 (does philly keep going without foles ?)

#3- DT (don't currently have two on roster, may not have one.)

#4 - LB ( I feel the need for speed)

#5 - CB (hopefully they keep gaines)

#6 - OL ( if they trade cordy this moves up)

#7 - WR (plenty of options)

#8- TE ( so we can switch to triple TE, 1 WR & 1 RB formation)