Bills salary cap 2018

freester

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if Glenn is healthy, why the cut?.....move him to the right side which may be less wear and tear than the blind side.....Dawkins at LT is cheap so your tackle money is relevant.....and just say NO to Cousins......I'd rather overpay for a beer versus him, the poster boy for mediocrity......Allen is a pretty good personnel guy and George Allen's kid....why the hell can't HE get a long term deal done if Cousins is the greatest invention since beer?.....makes no sense.........this guy has overplayed his hand.........

You're saying Cousins has overplayed his hand?  If so, I disagree.  Cousins has made about $44 million in two years from being tagged.  He's put up good numbers and will likely get a multi year deal between 20 and 25 million dollars per year OR get 34 million for one year with another tag from Washington.  I'll take whatever hand Cousins has been playing. ?

30 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

This is my feeling as well. The Bills have several choices as to how they want to manage their cap room and draft picks.

If they decide to bundle the farm to move up, it's still likely going to be a year before the young guy is ready to contribute. So in 2018 you're going to play the young guy and likely take a big step backward, with the hope that he becomes the guy.

If they decide to invest big in a veteran like a Cousins, that allows them to use their draft capital to fill in their holes. I don't get the Cousins hate some people have here. I guess they missed that more than half of their opening day starters were out by the end of the year. Guy is a stud pocket QB.  

Me either. We have the ability to do what we need to do. The strength of your team is inversely proportional to how good a QB you have. Now we just need to get Kirk to come here! Easier said than done. Signing a Paul Richardson early in FA to go with KB could help as I brainstorm. But, really he should be a top 10 QB easy the next few years.

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

Me either. We have the ability to do what we need to do. The strength of your team is inversely proportional to how good a QB you have. Now we just need to get Kirk to come here! Easier said than done. Signing a Paul Richardson early in FA to go with KB could help as I brainstorm. But, really he should be a top 10 QB easy the next few years.

If the Bills want Cousins, signing Paul Richardson won't be the determining factor (although he's a good player and I like him).  If Cousins came to the Bills it is because they were willing to pay his price tag and he is sold on McD, Beane and their vision for the organization.

5 minutes ago, purple haze said:

You're saying Cousins has overplayed his hand?  If so, I disagree.  Cousins has made about $44 million in two years from being tagged.  He's put up good numbers and will likely get a multi year deal between 20 and 25 million dollars per year OR get 34 million for one year with another tag from Washington.  I'll take whatever hand Cousins has been playing. ?

...mea culpa....think I need to rephrase better....Cousins played his hand perfectly because of the ineptitude of Bruce Allen & Boy Danny Snyder to craft a long term deal.....result was a $44 mil take.....not bad......and he's in line for $34 mil if Mutt & Jeff can't do a deal........at the same time, his heist for mediocrity rivals The Cutlet for $54 mil from da Bears and Flacco for $52 mil from the Ravens even though he won a SB, but nothing since......

16 minutes ago, purple haze said:

If the Bills want Cousins, signing Paul Richardson won't be the determining factor (although he's a good player and I like him).  If Cousins came to the Bills it is because they were willing to pay his price tag and he is sold on McD, Beane and their vision for the organization.

Yes that is likely the case. I'm just worried about him looking at our receivers as a deciding point between comparable offers.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...mea culpa....think I need to rephrase better....Cousins played his hand perfectly because of the ineptitude of Bruce Allen & Boy Danny Snyder to craft a long term deal.....result was a $44 mil take.....not bad......and he's in line for $34 mil if Mutt & Jeff can't do a deal........at the same time, his heist for mediocrity rivals The Cutlet for $54 mil from da Bears and Flacco for $52 mil from the Ravens even though he won a SB, but nothing since......

Ah, understood.  I get why you and others don't think Cousins is worth the money he's going to get.  BUT w/ the salary cap going up yearly his $ won't seem exorbitant in a couple years from now.   And he does have the numbers.  The team results not so much.  But  in a team sport can we blame it all on the QB?

i know it's the thing fans/media like to do, but Cousins has played well.  Someone has to catch the passes Rodgers and Brady throw, but everyone acts like Rodgers and Brady hiked the ball to themselves, blocked, threw the ball and caught it too.  No player, even a QBcan win a football game by themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, freester said:

With Eric Woods retirement  the trade of Marcel Dareus  and inevitably tyrods release. Where are we with the cap?  Is signing Cousins even feasible?  Who knows what will happen with Glenn and his huge cap number. 

With Eric Wood's retirement, we stand at about $29M in cap space.

We would only save about $4M cap space by trading Glenn.  I'm sure we'll be drafting and signing OL, but we're short on vet presence at OL with Wood gone.  We may keep him, show him healthy in preseason to increase his value, and trade him late if we like how our new guys are coming on and a team with a big hole at OT comes calling.

We about break even (savings vs dead cap) if we cut Tyrod and he signs elsewhere.  Gets us up to $37M-ish.

Cousins?  If he's not franchised, we can always structure a contract around this year's minimal cap space with a big bunch o' bonus and more guaranteed money.

We can't compete if he's transition tagged.  I think that Cousins will be about more than money, however.  He'll want a team with a stout OL to protect him and top WR.

It's gonna be hard for the Bills to make the argument that they are that team.

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

Yes that is likely the case. I'm just worried about him looking at our receivers as a deciding point between comparable offers.

Understood.  But like Hyde said, it was the ? commitment along with McD's vision.  now that the process ended with playoffs that vision will have results to back them up.  Bills are in good shape.  Doesn't mean they get all the players they want, but I think they will merit strong consideration.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, purple haze said:

i know it's the thing fans/media like to do, but Cousins has played well.  Someone has to catch the passes Rodgers and Brady throw, but everyone acts like Rodgers and Brady hiked the ball to themselves, blocked, threw the ball and caught it too.  No player, even a QBcan win a football game by themselves.

Only guy I've seen pull that trick off is Mariota

21 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

From a QB standpoint, that statement is actually hard to defend. 

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Agreed. I don't know that a FA QB has ever been in a better position than Cousins. 

37 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

What about 21 and 22 for Luck? Then Indy can rebuild and we can go to playoffs again.

Only Keenum out of that group would I go for, maybe Bridgewater if cheap because of his injury. Alabama's Center will be available in draft for 2nd round I believe. Yes, I would trade McCoy and Clay to if there are takers. Steal some Cleveland draft picks, they have to spend to 85% of the cap and are way off. Groy should be right guard so we can cut money there or use him at Center. Bills needed the playoff monkey off their back. Time to rebuild this team. Maybe a bottom 10 team next year would be the thing to do getting younger. Could even trade Hughes. 

I've never been a Luck fan.  Certainly there's an injury concern, but assuming he's past that, I don't like his attitude - he talks like he believes he's the savior, and I can't say that his production has been all that great.   He has a career passer rating of 87.   Cousins is 93.   Both will come with a huge salary.   Why give up two first round picks PLUS a ton of money to get the guy who actually hasn't performed as well as the other guy?

But I'll admit I don't know. 

And I agree, we shouldn't expect that ANYONE on the current roster, including Shady, isn't possible trade bait.    Shady is the only guy you can't replace without a serious dropoff in production, and even he may be replaceable.   I think the test for every guy is whether the cap relief alone or together with the picks you might get is worth the relatively modest dropoff in production you're likely to get.   

Taylor and Glenn are the obvious choices, because the picks and/or cap relief is pretty big.   But the other big-contract guys are possibilities.  

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Only guy I've seen pull that trick off is Mariota

From a QB standpoint, that statement is actually hard to defend. 

...my opinion and don't need to defend it period..............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

from 3 wins to super bowl? Wow

I know it's probably a little generous, but they need not rebuild. They can turn it around quick. Their problem was OBJ was hurt and their line was terrible. Plus McAdoo was a problem. If they shore up that o line they can make a run. That defense is going to be really good with the hire of James Bettcher. Their three win season was an anomaly in my opinion. 

31 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I agree completely.   Cousins won't care much about the roster.   It's McD and Beane, how they operate, and their vision.

I said this in a post a couple of weeks ago:   I think the Bills have a real shot at him if they want him.   The Bills have to pay the price, which I assume will be at least $25 million guaranteed for four years and then some.   But if they price, I think they're serious competitors for him.   Here are some reasons:

1.  Cousins is an earnest, serious, hard working guy.   He believes completely in system and process and getting better every day.   Sound familiar?   That is EXACTLY who McDermott and Beane are.   

2.  Cousins can see McD and Beane as being underdogs who've made it through hard work.   

3.  Cousins is from the midwest.   He'll get Buffalo and the Buffalo fan mentality.   He'll probably like the challenge of restoring the Bills to greatness. 

4.  There's a lot of reason to believe the Bills are on the way up.  

5.  It's clear Beane and McD don't like prima donnas.   That's consistent with Cousins. 

6.  Cousins apparently is a serious Christian.   McD and Beane, too.  

7.  The Pegulas.   Washington ownership is high-profile, more in the Jerry Jones style.  The Pegulas are low-key, out of the limelight, serious hard-working people.   They sell themselves well to a guy like Cousins.  

I think the Bills can get him if they want him.  I don't think the Redskins will franchise him again.  They can get him without burning any draft picks.  It's only a question of whether McD and Beane think he's a winner.   

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree completely.   Cousins won't care much about the roster.   It's McD and Beane, how they operate, and their vision.

I said this in a post a couple of weeks ago:   I think the Bills have a real shot at him if they want him.   The Bills have to pay the price, which I assume will be at least $25 million guaranteed for four years and then some.   But if they price, I think they're serious competitors for him.   Here are some reasons:

1.  Cousins is an earnest, serious, hard working guy.   He believes completely in system and process and getting better every day.   Sound familiar?   That is EXACTLY who McDermott and Beane are.   

2.  Cousins can see McD and Beane as being underdogs who've made it through hard work.   

3.  Cousins is from the midwest.   He'll get Buffalo and the Buffalo fan mentality.   He'll probably like the challenge of restoring the Bills to greatness. 

5.  It's clear Beane and McD don't like prima donnas.   That's consistent with Cousins. 

7.  The Pegulas.   Washington ownership is high-profile, more in the Jerry Jones style.  The Pegulas are low-key, out of the limelight, serious hard-working people.   They sell themselves well to a guy like Cousins.  

I think the Bills can get him if they want him.  I don't think the Redskins will franchise him again.  They can get him without burning any draft picks.  It's only a question of whether McD and Beane think he's a winner.   

Shaw you've got me fired up! This needs to happen.

40 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I agree with hapless.   Cousins may or may not be a big-time winner, but neither Cutler nor Flacco is the same situation.   Cutler had demonstrated in Denver that no matter how hard you tried, you weren't going to get him to be a consistently good decision maker.    It was clear, and the Bears thought otherwise.  We all saw the result.   Cutler just didn't have it - never did. 

Flacco was in the right place at the right time.   Coming out of college he looked like he might be a star, and then just at the right time he played like one, so he got a big contract.   Now, it turns out that was a mistake, but it was a good bet at the time the Ravens did it.   If they hadn't done it, they would have been in the same franchise-tag trap the Redskins are in.   

Now, Cousins could be like Flacco in that things have fallen right for him to get a big contract, and he may prove not to be worth it.   But he isn't like Cutler, he hasn't already shown he can't do it.   To the contrary, he's performed at a high level for three straight seasons.   He's consistently outperformed Cutler's best seasons.   

4 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Shaw you've got me fired up! This needs to happen.

I really think it could happen.

GO back a few years, this time of year.   Fans thought it was totally stupid to think the Bills could sign Mario Williams.   Too expensive, won't want to come to Buffalo, blah, blah.   

The lesson is that if you're willing to pay the guy, the question becomes whether you have the intangibles to sell to the guy.   In this case, I think the Bills do.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

But maybe with someone who will be more available to play and able to be an upgrade to Mills at RT, while at the same time getting something back for Glenn who has already been replaced 

They will spend more to get less and watch Glenn be an All Pro on Giants deep playoff run.......book it.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, cba fan said:

They will spend more to get less and watch Glenn be an All Pro on Giants deep playoff run.......book it.

To me, if they can improve the team overall with the move they should do it. I don’t care what Glenn ends up doing with the NYG... jmo of course 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The other thing that could limit the market for Gaines is that he’s somewhat scheme-specific. He’s good in McD’s D but I wouldn’t put him in, say, a secondary that plays mostly man like Rex’s.

Agreed!  Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised at lack of demand.  Maybe $7 M/year.  But, I think he will be around $9 M.  I do agree between scheme specific and injury history it could really limit interested teams and amount of interest from them.

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if Glenn is healthy, why the cut?.....move him to the right side which may be less wear and tear than the blind side.....Dawkins at LT is cheap so your tackle money is relevant.....and just say NO to Cousins......I'd rather overpay for a beer versus him, the poster boy for mediocrity......Allen is a pretty good personnel guy and George Allen's kid....why the hell can't HE get a long term deal done if Cousins is the greatest invention since beer?.....makes no sense.........this guy has overplayed his hand.........

Don't disagree with any of this.  If Glenn is healthy he should be on the team and producing!  He always has when healthy.  Our cap is fine next year and amazing in 2019.  Glenn is a good contract value wise vs the cap for quality LTs.  Move him to RT, whatever, that is fine too.  Geepers, with our cap space move him to Guard.  He is a very good player!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

With Eric Wood's retirement, we stand at about $29M in cap space.

We would only save about $4M cap space by trading Glenn.  I'm sure we'll be drafting and signing OL, but we're short on vet presence at OL with Wood gone.  We may keep him, show him healthy in preseason to increase his value, and trade him late if we like how our new guys are coming on and a team with a big hole at OT comes calling.

We about break even (savings vs dead cap) if we cut Tyrod and he signs elsewhere.  Gets us up to $37M-ish.

Cousins?  If he's not franchised, we can always structure a contract around this year's minimal cap space with a big bunch o' bonus and more guaranteed money.

We can't compete if he's transition tagged.  I think that Cousins will be about more than money, however.  He'll want a team with a stout OL to protect him and top WR.

It's gonna be hard for the Bills to make the argument that they are that team.

Incognito is 33-34

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I've never been a Luck fan.  Certainly there's an injury concern, but assuming he's past that, I don't like his attitude - he talks like he believes he's the savior, and I can't say that his production has been all that great.   He has a career passer rating of 87.   Cousins is 93.   Both will come with a huge salary.   Why give up two first round picks PLUS a ton of money to get the guy who actually hasn't performed as well as the other guy?

But I'll admit I don't know. 

And I agree, we shouldn't expect that ANYONE on the current roster, including Shady, isn't possible trade bait.    Shady is the only guy you can't replace without a serious dropoff in production, and even he may be replaceable.   I think the test for every guy is whether the cap relief alone or together with the picks you might get is worth the relatively modest dropoff in production you're likely to get.   

Taylor and Glenn are the obvious choices, because the picks and/or cap relief is pretty big.   But the other big-contract guys are possibilities.  

Shady's numbers are replaceable the man's talent is huge but Tyrod takes that away by his running and moving, doesn't see filed properly. We have too many holes to fill unless a QB falls to us. I wouldn't trade McCoy if we get a good veteran QB, you go for it. Otherwise sell and get young.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Can't afford him without trading all high contracts, too much dead money.