Scot McCloughan on Kirk Cousins: "I Don't See Special" - Headed for UFA

16 hours ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Anybody that is blaming Cousins for not making the playoffs this year obviously didn't watch him play. They gutted his wide receiving core before the season only bringing in a disappointing Terrelle Pryor. His running backs were a joke all year. His defense was sub par. Yet Cousins fought tooth and nail for every yard he could. 

Plus he played nearly the whole season with half his line missing due to injuries 

15 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

When this kind of stuff is written about Hotrod on TBD,they're referred to as excuses.

Do you realize EVERYTHING you said except the playoffs part applies to our QB as well? Substitute Matthews for Pryor. 

Yet he still threw for 4,000 yards and 27 tds. While he got sacked 41 times and averaged 255 pass yards a game. I think he would love to throw to Kelvin Benjamin.

18 hours ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Anybody that is blaming Cousins for not making the playoffs this year obviously didn't watch him play. They gutted his wide receiving core before the season only bringing in a disappointing Terrelle Pryor. His running backs were a joke all year. His defense was sub par. Yet Cousins fought tooth and nail for every yard he could. 

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All true.  And still, Cousins passed for >4000 yds, 27 TD.

Tyrod ....passed for and threw for ah a bit less

The idea being if the Bills had 13 more passing TD and about 70 more passing yards per game they might have won more

True or false, I think true but others may disagree

Cousin has been in Gruden's system for a few years now. While the Bills were implementing a totally new scheme so not a true comparison. I think it shows that Gruden knows offense and has a good system in place. Reason why they are letting Cousins walk, they believe they can get similar production out of Alex Smith for less money. Teams don't just let Franchise QBs walk. McVay is doing the same with the Rams now. Goff looks much improved this past season but if they had kept fisher and the same offensive staff. I do not think you would have seen the same growth this past season from the Rams offense. 

Edited by billieve420

16 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Cousin has been in Gruden's system for a few years now. While the Bills were implementing a totally new scheme so not a true comparison.

Do you think that if Tyrod had been in Gruden's system for 3 years, or continued in Lynn/Roman's scheme, his passing production would have improved to the >4000 yds, 26-29 passing TD level?

I feel fairly certain that if Tyrod had stayed in Lynn/Roman's scheme and had high quality WR, he would have done better - not fallen off from 217 ypg/20 passing TD to 187 ypg/14 passing TD, maybe even improved.  But I don't think he will ever be a >4000 yd passing QB. 

I could be wrong - I would have said that about Alex Smith until this past year.

16 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

I think it shows that Gruden knows offense and has a good system in place. Reason why they are letting Cousins walk, they believe they can get similar production out of Alex Smith for less money. Teams don't just let Franchise QBs walk. McVay is doing the same with the Rams now. Goff looks much improved this past season but if they had kept fisher and the same offensive staff. I do not think you would have seen the same growth this past season from the Rams offense. 

Of course they think they can get similar from Alex Smith for less money, and of course they think Cousins isn't Mr Franchise.  They showed that when they didn't lock him up 2 years ago.  Whether their judgement is correct is the question.

The other question is whether they really had a choice at this point.  If Cousins wanted to hit FA and was taking the position "no way will I sign with you at any price before March 6", and the team didn't want to be locked into paying him $34.7M or whatever it was, they really didn't (have much choice) even if they think Cousins >> Smith

I would say the offense is not all on Gruden.  I think McVay >> Cavanaugh as OC, and time will tell whether Smith will regress to the mean, or whether this past year represents his "new normal".

I agree with you in spades about Fisher vs McVay

2 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

They couldn't get together on a long term deal. Term being the key word. He felt "disrespected" and "undervalued" by the front office. 

Yeah, like I said, he's not that good or they wouldn't let him walk. That's EXACTLY how they treat a guy that's "not that good". 

3 hours ago, billieve420 said:

Cousin has been in Gruden's system for a few years now. While the Bills were implementing a totally new scheme so not a true comparison. I think it shows that Gruden knows offense and has a good system in place. Reason why they are letting Cousins walk, they believe they can get similar production out of Alex Smith for less money. Teams don't just let Franchise QBs walk. McVay is doing the same with the Rams now. Goff looks much improved this past season but if they had kept fisher and the same offensive staff. I do not think you would have seen the same growth this past season from the Rams offense. 

I think Gruden has his head up his ass.  Cousins isn’t his guy.    

On 2/2/2018 at 9:56 AM, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, difference in philosophy.   Succeeding the NFL is brutally difficult, and there isn't one formula.   

I've said it before:  I'd love to be sitting the room, listening to McBeane talk about this stuff.   I'd love to know what they're thinking.   

Me too, I like and respect these guys and it would be great to know.

‘I have real suspicions about how far can the guy take me

The likely teams in the mix are the Denver Broncos, New York Jets and Arizona Cardinals. The Buffalo Bills are an outside possibility should they part ways with incumbent starter Tyrod Taylor.

“Is Kirk Cousins good enough or is Kirk Cousins the most available guy?” Kirwan, a former NFL club executive, said. “He just lost his (contractual) foundation, to me, so I’ll be real interested to see who jumps up. (Derek) Carr got the money because people believe in Oakland that he can get you to a Super Bowl. Do you believe Kirk Cousins can get you to a Super Bowl? I have real suspicions about how far can the guy take me.

‘Can you look your owner in the face and say, ‘This guy’s going to take us to the Super Bowl

“My owner used talk to me like this. He’d go, ‘Where are we going with him?’ Can you look your owner in the face and say, ‘This guy’s going to take us to the Super Bowl; that’s why we’re going to pay him this.'”

https://blog.siriusxm.com/pat-kirwan-says-49ers-had-no-choice-on-big-money-for-jimmy-garoppolo-but-doubts-kirk-cousins-gets-a-similar-deal/