Denison and Tyrod should share the same fate

KingRex

I'm trusting that the staff used what tools they had the best they could. They did exactly what they said they would. They made moves to win now and for future. They dumped players they didn't want and got the most for them they could.

The offensive side was the weak link but I am confident they were aware of it when they brought in a wide receiver and benched Tyrod. I am actually satisfied with how the season played out.

I don't know if Dennison is a problem but I give him the benefit of the doubt because he had a back up quarter back to run his offense all season.

3 hours ago, yungmack said:

No one in their right mind thinks Tyrod is, or ever will be, a transcendent talent. But the offense was pretty darn good - not great, but good - until Dennison showed up.

This

TT was a cog in the wheel of a team that scored top 10 points the season before last......not THE reason....but A reason......

11 hours ago, KingRex said:

One of the arguments I find odd is by folks who indict TT as being worthless as a QB and then seem to think this excuses Denison from blame for O suckitude (to use a technical term).

I have even seen apologies for RD that claim TTs lack of ability handcuffed RD.

Actually if one assesses TT as clearly being a bum, rather than this getting RD off the hook, it provides even another reason for canning him.

Sure blame TT for not making the right choice in the Run/Pass Option play RD called, but the blame for failure here rather than falling solely on TT actually has to start with RD giving the RPO to a QB some folks say is clearly inadequate.

If you hate TT and think he should be shown the door, then also sign right up to also get rid of RD for not calling for 3 straight run play from 1st and goal at the one.

Add to this, RD participated in the stupid decision to start NP against the Chargers. This was a stupid move not because Taylor is great (he ain't) but because this was a stupid attempt at developing Peterman.  I agree that he was one of (if not the) most ready to play QBs in the draft.  However, ready to play as a #2  or disaster QB and ready to start are two different things.

When your starter QB gets knocked out of the game it often seems to have the impact of the D laying back a little and the back-up does well.  I  call this the AVP effect a several times we saw Jimbo go down and AVP would come in and look like Joe Montana.  Then the next week, the opponent would have a week to study film and install disguised coverages Jimbo would have shredded and AVP would be destroyed.

RD and McD did NP and the Bills no favor by announcing early in the week NP would start, the opponent got to practice and lick there lips waiting for this NFFL concensus 5th round talent to start (even Tom Brady sat on the bench and learned the pro game until a freakish lung collapse injury removed Bledsoe in his second year.

Not only was the dumb decision to throw NP to the wolves made, but it was done in a manner that maximized his chances to fail. I had (and still hope) he can become a good pro, but RD and McD panicked and may have butchered his self-confidence  (that being said n the big picture a ton of praise and the rest of the team- including RD and TT for leading thi squad to the playoffs.

I for one hope they can find a better cheaper QB than  TT.  However, the truth is there a shortage of QBs in this league and I easily think of worse cases than trying to do better next year with a better trained and managed TT.  Still I much prefer we bite the bullet and overpay Cousins or trade vets for Andy Dalton.

However ,  think both RD and TT share the blame for many of our failings and given the cruddy job of developing NP I think RD is most accountable for O faiulure.

I agree, to me this season its been BOTH TT and Rico that have been poor for all the reasons you have brought up. In addition, I think TT has just regressed as a QB. He made a lot of bad decisions this year (esp with taking bad sacks) that you didn't see in the previous 2 years. His passing game went backwards as well. Finally he seemed to lose that elusiveness he had in year 1 under Rex.  But Dennison really must be oblivious not to see this and adjust his offense. He never did right down to the last series in the last game. This shows me Dennison is either dumb or arrogant.  In any case I don't think TT is salvageable, we have seen his ceiling. Dennison is just not up to it either and needs to be gone. Bring in some young guy who can innovate this offense and use the people we have on the field!!

31 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I agree, to me this season its been BOTH TT and Rico that have been poor for all the reasons you have brought up. In addition, I think TT has just regressed as a QB. He made a lot of bad decisions this year (esp with taking bad sacks) that you didn't see in the previous 2 years. His passing game went backwards as well. Finally he seemed to lose that elusiveness he had in year 1 under Rex.  But Dennison really must be oblivious not to see this and adjust his offense. He never did right down to the last series in the last game. This shows me Dennison is either dumb or arrogant.  In any case I don't think TT is salvageable, we have seen his ceiling. Dennison is just not up to it either and needs to be gone. Bring in some young guy who can innovate this offense and use the people we have on the field!!

I think it comes down to trying to take a mobile back up QB and turning him into a pocket passer traditional starting QB. TT is a good guy and hard worker. I'd give him the chance to transition. He couldn't take the next step.

He couldn't play that scramble around game forever. Defense put spies on him then sold out to stop the run game. Tyrod could of and should have made them pay through the air and couldn't. 

I understand people say scheme around him. If I'm Coach I say you can't stick around forever on gimmicks. You eventually are gonna have to transition into what I want. I love the way you can scramble on a broken play and avoid pressure but this the team needs more. 

I think Tyrod got plenty of opportunities and they ran out. He still had a shot to win a playoff game and it was like I was looking at the Panthers game all over again and having this feeling we can't win with him. 

Instead of thinking people should game plan around Tyrod, I think he should have learned to run the game plan. I'm not stepping down for you. Your stepping up for me. 

Edited by Lfod

19 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Maybe so, but Dennison also didn’t build an offence towards TTs skill set like Roman did.

You can’t tell me that Dennison got everything possible out of Tyrod this year

To be honest i dont care. I want a QB. Dennison tried to put and or see if TT could be one. Same as Roman didnthe year he was fired when he expanded his Playbook. And TT failed. 

On 1/11/2018 at 6:29 PM, 8-8 Forever? said:

tyrod limited what Dennison could do quite a bit in the passing game.   tt is too short... too many batted balls

But Dennison also put him in bad situations with bad play calling.   They simply did not have rhythm except for that 9 minute drive that resulted in the FG at 1st and Goal at the 1 yard line

50 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

To be honest i dont care. I want a QB. Dennison tried to put and or see if TT could be one. Same as Roman didnthe year he was fired when he expanded his Playbook. And TT failed. 

I hear your point and they definitely need to upgrade at QB.

If the Bills were tanking, I would understand trying to make TT a pocket passer to see what he’s got.

But when it’s in the playoffs, why wouldn’t you do everything in your power to put a game plan to TTs strengths?

Play the cards you are dealt with, and then make changes in the off season.