THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Can’t Win Without Offense

Shaw66

Myself personally, players around T T needed to step up and make plays and they didn't.  Means keeping your feet in bounds or not getting Offensive PI when your team is on the two yard line. QB always shoulders most of the blame on a low scoring game. Goes with the territory. Sammy stays in Buffalo the the Bills are advancing to round 2 in my humble opinion.

Thanks OP for the enjoyable reviews all season long, much appreciated 

thankful to get one monkey off our back...

The awesome Shady aside, we are, were, and for the most part of the season, have been, sadly lacking on offense. For sure, we've had a bunch of injuries, especially at the WR position, ironically, considering that was a 'knock' on a guy we shipped out. Yet the group simply hasn't performed well, regardless. 

Now I like the Benjamin pickup, finally a WR with some serious size. But he ends up banged up too.

Thompson has made a few plays, but as pointed out by Baddie earlier, he hasn't always helped his QB, either by really stretching out/diving, or by coming back, to make catches.

I think there we get to see the difference between your 'budget' WR and the 3 star guys everyone else seems to have.

Clay is a bit of an enigma. He has days where he does everything right, and others where he does things half right, and makes a right pig's ear of some other stuff. He can be a pretty good player, but imho, makes too many unforced errors, to ever be much more than that. I wonder if his dodgy knee, that prevents him from practising so much, isn't contributing to those mistakes, through not getting enough reps.

Taylor simply leaves too many plays on the field. Now, a lot of people have said that, for quite some time, yet with Romo commentating on some Bills games recently, just about nobody has had to look very hard to see where the football could have gone, as it's been pointed out very quickly. Yesterday, whenever he rolled out, it looked like he might make a play, but any time he stayed in the pocket, he was dead as a dodo. The Jags did a pretty good job of getting something on him, to slow him enough for a second defender to take him down. Ultimately, Taylor does do a few things quite well, but he simply doesn't do enough things well, to be a viable starter.

The game yesterday, was a darn good, old school, defensive battle. Both QBs helped that be the case though, as neither of them were, or are, very good. From the defensive side of things, the most annoying aspect, for me, was Bortles rushing. Mainly because he's done it to us before, at Wembley, the other year. For all the coaches say they watch miles of tape, I sometimes wonder if they watch either enough, or the right stuff. Aside from not managing to get any turnovers, that's about all I'd criticise them for - and I think that's more on the coaches, tbh. Defensively, that was as committed a performance as you could wish to see.

Looking forward, well, we need to move on from Taylor. Even with better players around him, I think his ceiling has been reached, as far as winning and getting to the playoffs, has gone.

Needs, as usual, we have a bunch of them. QB, obviously, DT - even if Kyle sticks around for another go at it. CB - depth is an issue. LB - I'd keep Brown, he's far more solid than many would give him credit for, but we need more speed there. O-Line. Dawkins has been a pleasant surprise, but it still needs more talent, and health. I wonder if Glenn might be moved to RT, and leave Dawkins at LT. If we are going to keep Glenn, it's definitely something worth considering, imho. Even if we get a passing QB, I still think we can improve our WR group, as I've been pretty underwhelmed by them as a group. While I like Benjamin, I've not seen anywhere near the sort of commitment Woods used to show, when going after the football.

Tbh, I don't think we have the necessary draft capital to move up high enough to get whichever top prospect at QB we like. Getting to the playoffs has hit the values of our picks quite a bit. We do have quite a few, in good spots, to do a lot of good for the overall roster however, and that's the way I'd like to see things go. Find a vet QB, and use the picks we have on the roster We can always give up the farm next year for a drafted QB, when we have sorted out the roster with the talent McDermott needs for it.

22 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

As far as #9 goes there was a big difference between the two plays....

1. The play Koyack made today was against the Bills

2. The play Benjamin made two weeks ago was against the patriots

That is all that really needs to be said.

This is why I drink so much!! Drives me crazy the inconsistency!!!!!

Gotta give hauschka a shout out since he put up the bills only points.

the guy was probably the best pick up this past offseason.

i wasn't worried at all this season with him kicking field goals. It made me completely forget about carpenter. 

It's nice to see the FG unit perform consistently for a change. The kicking game was smooth.

now time to get that qb that doesn't make me worried or upset.

9 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

i wasn't worried at all this season with him kicking field goals. It made me completely forget about carpenter. 

It's nice to see the FG unit perform consistently for a change. The kicking game was smooth.

Absolutely. About as good as it gets. 

9 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I think Hauschka is 2nd on the team that helped lead us to the playoffs....Shady one.

Hauschka kicked some really big FG's and made a difference in multiple games.  When you can trot a guy out on the field when it's a 50+ yard FG and you're expecting him to hit it rather than a coin flip....you've got a good kicker.  

On 1/7/2018 at 11:00 PM, Shaw66 said:

I forgot to mention the review of the INT.  Horrible. 

I assume what has happened is that the league has now gone back to what the replay rule says - unless there is clear error the call stands.  

By the standard they've applied for the past couple of years, that ball was incomplete. 

I have zero problems with calls being this way if it's alway consistent.

KB will be fine once we land a QB that will throw to him in 1:1 coverage. That is what he is built for to win those battles.

Nice write up Shaw.

Edited by Real McCoy