Sunday Night Football Facts & Figures For Those Thinking Bills On SNF In 2018

corta765

I will do a more true write up once the post season is over and we win the SB focusing on the Bills potential for night games. Thanks to the playoffs and some storylines already writing themselves like BUF v JAX in post season and playing in 2018 there is a very good chance the Bills play not only on TNF but also MNF and maybe finally a return to Sunday Night Football.

Here are the facts on this last season of Sunday Night Football:

-18 of the 32 NFL teams appeared on SNF. ATL, BAL, DAL , DEN, DET, GB, HOU, IND, KC, MIA , MIN, NE, NYG, OAK, PHI, PIT, SEA, & WSH

-Every team that made the 2017 playoffs played on SNF

-Every team except for KC hosted a SNF game at home and KC hosted a Saturday night game and MNF game at home.

-The remaining teams that missed the playoffs BAL, DEN, IND, MIN, PHI, & WSH all have been in Super Bowl or won their division within the last 3 years. They also all are major markets for the NFL

So I would expect the Bills at minimum to be on SNF and if they don't host at home which I think they will against the Jaguars earlier in the season, they will host on Monday Night Football instead.

We are definitely due for a return to Monday Night Football, and I would love for us to get a Sunday night game, one that's scheduled and not flexed.  We've for sure earned at least one.  I swear every year the last several years the only primetime games we got were Thursday night, and it was ALWAYS on the road.   

Next year I expect to see a home primetime game that's not Thursday night. I wouldn't be upset with two. 

44 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

We are definitely due for a return to Monday Night Football, and I would love for us to get a Sunday night game, one that's scheduled and not flexed.  We've for sure earned at least one.  I swear every year the last several years the only primetime games we got were Thursday night, and it was ALWAYS on the road.   

Next year I expect to see a home primetime game that's not Thursday night. I wouldn't be upset with two. 

Bills night time home games from 2010 on:

TNF 2012 Dolphins

TNF 2016 Jets

That is it. One thing you do need to know is the way they setup the stadium for night time television the Ralph has awful infrastructure in terms of wiring etc.. that makes it a very difficult stadium to setup. I am not sure if during the renovation any of this was improved but in general because of its age it is a more difficult stadium to do at night. Mix in that the team really tries for home games to be at 1 pm Sunday as much as possible because of Canadian, Southern Tier, & Rochester markets and you have another major reason why we are not on TV as much.

That said I predict 3 night games next season. TNF, SNF, & MNF with at least one home.

Edited by corta765

20 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Bills night time home games from 2010 on:

TNF 2013 Dolphins

TNF 2016 Jets

That is it. One thing you do need to know is the way they setup the stadium for night time television the Ralph has awful infrastructure in terms of wiring etc.. that makes it a very difficult stadium to setup. I am not sure if during the renovation any of this was improved but in general because of its age it is a more difficult stadium to do at night. Mix in that the team really tries for home games to be at 1 pm Sunday as much as possible because of Canadian, Southern Tier, & Rochester markets and you have another major reason why we are not on TV as much.

That said I predict 3 night games next season. TNF, SNF, & MNF with at least one home.

Wow, I didn't realize we only had TWO whole home games in the last 8 years.  That is terrible!   

I remember reading a while back that Ralph didn't like primetime games due to the Canada market travelers, but didn't know that the stadium itself caused such nightmares logistically for the primetime crews.  It makes alot of sense, thanks for explaining that in such good detail.  

That said, I hope that Terry and Kim are willing to open their wallets to getting these conditions upgraded so that we are better equipped to handle primetime games at the Ralph, er excuse me, New Era Field. (Sorry, I'm old school. It will always be Rich Stadium to me.)  The fans deserve to see their team play in one or two home primetime games a year.

4 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Wow, I didn't realize we only had TWO whole home games in the last 8 years.  That is terrible!   

I remember reading a while back that Ralph didn't like primetime games due to the Canada market travelers, but didn't know that the stadium itself caused such nightmares logistically for the primetime crews.  It makes alot of sense, thanks for explaining that in such good detail.  

That said, I hope that Terry and Kim are willing to open their wallets to getting these conditions upgraded so that we are better equipped to handle primetime games at the Ralph, er excuse me, New Era Field. (Sorry, I'm old school. It will always be Rich Stadium to me.)  The fans deserve to see their team play in one or two home primetime games a year.

Yea Sal C. from WGR a while back had good information of how difficult it was to get home night games. I think the Pegula's are slightly more willing because they like the attention and exposure of night time games so with them it may happen a bit more for home games. But in general the organization is sensitive to the fact the team has a lot of people driving 1-3 hrs which is why you also don't see almost any games at 4pm beside the fact the team had been irrelevant for so long.

I will have a pretty sizeable breakdown on the schedule and what to expect for 2018 after the Bills win the SB!

• Like (+1) 1