Albert Breer: McDermott has Bills pointing up

YoloinOhio

I mean, the Dolphins were a good team last year, and losing Tannehill set them way back. Anyone arguing otherwise is delusional.

But saying they were SB contenders is also pretty ridiculous. I don't remember a single outlet claiming they'd go to the SB, let alone win it. And if you're not expected to go to the Super Bowl, how are you a SB "contender?" 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

I mean, the Dolphins were a good team last year, and losing Tannehill set them way back. Anyone arguing otherwise is delusional.

But saying they were SB contenders is also pretty ridiculous. I don't remember a single outlet claiming they'd go to the SB, let alone win it. And if you're not expected to go to the Super Bowl, how are you a SB "contender?" 

Dolphins were a sexy SB pick this year by a lot of pundits.

And some of my sources that are well connected to league insiders also felt they could be a championship contender this season. In fact Adam Gase is widely considered the brightest young offensive mind in the league, and hard to argue considering what's he's done in Miami.

Either way we can only hope that McD is truly the real deal because the AFC East is loaded with talented coaching staffs from top to bottom.

Just now, SaviorPeterman said:

And some of my sources that are well connected to league insiders also felt they could be a championship contender this season. In fact Adam Gase is widely considered the brightest young offensive mind in the league, and hard to argue considering what's he's done in Miami.

Either way we can only hope that McD is truly the real deal because the AFC East is loaded with talented coaching staffs from top to bottom.

“Brightest offensive mind in the league”:

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19504913/fpi-makes-predictions-2017-nfl-season

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-nfl-predictions/

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nfl-picks-predictions-2017-super-bowl-afc-nfc-championship/kbbsp936t5r91vuglmpcpbgxj/slide/1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/500328001

They were expected to be Superbowl contenders? ? I just checked the first links for 2017 NFL preseason projections (because i thought hey, maybe I’m just “misremembering” ) that came up in this newfangled Google thing ... yup, all the same.

Moreover, did you just lump yourself in as an “expert?”

This was all I noticed.  So amazing.

4 hours ago, eball said:

I love articles like this that prove just how wrong some of the biggest show-boaters on this forum are.

The harsh critics like to harp on the in-game mistakes that for the most part had little to do with the outcome of games. And there are the unyielding critics who respond as if replacing a struggling qb with a rookie qb was a forever disqualifying decision. What is lacking is putting in to perspective what has been accomplished this year by McDermott. He took over a team and to some extent stripped it to acquire draft picks and future cap space. The overwhelming consensus was that the Bills were a rebuilding team with a realistic chance of winning 4 to 6 games at best. The performance of the team dramatically over-performed what its talent level was. This was done by good coaching and assembling a roster of players who bought in. That's a testimony to the coach and his staff. 

Whether the Bills win their first playoff game in a generation is not the biggest achievement of this regime. It is taking a team that has been ingloriously stuck in the muck of mediocrity for so long and put this rebuilding team in a good position to meaningfully succeed in the not too distant future. By smartly making some moves, some bold and controversial, to acquire draft picks and create cap space this team will be in a good position to accelerate the rebuilding process. 

While so many people want to relish wallowing in the move of replacing TT in the Charger game and some of his questionable in-game decisions I'm looking at what he has overall accomplished. He has changed the dynamic of this slumbering franchise and energized it. I'm ecstatic and I salute him!  

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

He's up there, but Gase is a true pioneer and certainly has led the charge for young, aggressive offensive minded coaching in this league.

2017:

LAR - 29.9 PPG (1st)

Miami - 17.6 PPG (28th)

2016:

Washington - 24.8 PPG (12th)

Miami - 22.7 (17th)

2015:

Washington - 24.3 PPG (10th)

Chicago - 20.9 PPG (23rd)

4 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I'm not sure if this is shtick, if you're a phins fan, or if you personally know Adam Gase.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

The harsh critics like to harp on the in-game mistakes that for the most part had little to do with the outcome of games. And there are the unyielding critics who respond as if replacing a struggling qb with a rookie qb was a forever disqualifying decision. What is lacking is putting in to perspective what has been accomplished this year by McDermott. He took over a team and to some extent stripped it to acquire draft picks and future cap space. The overwhelming consensus was that the Bills were a rebuilding team with a realistic chance of winning 4 to 6 games at best. The performance of the team dramatically over-performed what its talent level was. This was done by good coaching and assembling a roster of players who bought in. That's a testimony to the coach and his staff. 

Whether the Bills win their first playoff game in a generation is not the biggest achievement of this regime. It is taking a team that has been ingloriously stuck in the muck of mediocrity for so long and put this rebuilding team in a good position to meaningfully succeed in the not too distant future. By smartly making some moves, some bold and controversial, to acquire draft picks and create cap space this team will be in a good position to accelerate the rebuilding process. 

While so many people want to relish wallowing in the move of replacing TT in the Charger game and some of his questionable in-game decisions I'm looking at what he has overall accomplished. He has changed the dynamic of this slumbering franchise and energized it. I'm ecstatic and I salute him!  

Well Said !